CI's and the NAD convention

When I was in residential schools, and my family was not in same state, then I fly home during holidays. as for those who has relative in same state or city, they go home on weekend. no fun. my first residential living was in Little Rock, Ark which was short lived because when I got home for Xmas, I told mother, "I quit" I liked the classroom there but the dormitory life sucked. I had to go thru initiation rites and we had to endure some bullying from each others in dorms. In my second residential living was in Chickasha, Okla which lasted almost 1 1/2 yrs. Classes was good considering that it was oral deaf education. (of course no hand slapping etc) and the dormitory was so so but I have some freedom of movement as long I am paired with other students. I liked the freedoms than other residential school gives.

I used to be day school student in ASDB right here in Tucson, Az which I liked very much because of family bonds and I got to roam the city myself (well I went to that school before those two out of state schools now you get the picture that i was younger than i was in those other two. )

But afterall I prefer mainstreaming than residential or day schools though :D

Oh I forgot to say that too.. that school in Okla, my parent had to pay for round trip flights. and the school in Ark paid for the transportation.

ayala920 said:
Hmmm... Now that you mention it, that's what it was. His home district paid, not MSSD. Oops. :)

Having said that, as far as I know all kids in this state are transported on land. the school releases at 1pm on friday(or the last day of a short week) this is to give kids farther a way time to get home around supper time, which would mean that they could possibly travel for 3 or 4 hrs one way. with electronic games and stuff now a days i would think a car wouldn't be that bad.

jag said:
Having said that, as far as I know all kids in this state are transported on land. the school releases at 1pm on friday(or the last day of a short week) this is to give kids farther a way time to get home around supper time, which would mean that they could possibly travel for 3 or 4 hrs one way. with electronic games and stuff now a days i would think a car wouldn't be that bad.

When I was a child, my school for the deaf would let students out at noon for the same reasons, but a few years they changed it to 3 pm because too many parents of kids who lived less than 2 hours away complained that they have to leave work early to pick kids up or they cannot leave work because their bosses doesn't like it.

See? Things are slowly, but surely changing. Check back here in a few years, and I think that many Deafies will accept CIs, just like hearing aids are now accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back