Circuit City to close 155 stores

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
Circuit City to close 20% of stores
Ailing consumer electronics retailer says it will shutter 155 of its U.S. stores by year's end.

Last Updated: November 3, 2008: 9:32 AM ET

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Circuit City Stores Inc. is pulling the plug on about 20% of its U.S. stores in an effort to return to profitability, the nation's No. 2 consumer electronics retailer said Monday.

The Richmond, Va.-based company said it will shutter 155 of its more than 700 stores in 55 markets, including Phoenix and Atlanta, by Dec. 31, laying off about 17% of its domestic work force. Circuit City also said it will further reduce new store openings and plans to work with landlords to renegotiate leases, lower rent or terminate agreements.

The move comes as Circuit City heads into a crucial holiday shopping season that could determine its future, amid a slowdown in consumer spending that has even the least vulnerable retailers worried.

"The weakened environment has resulted in a slowdown of consumer spending, further impacting our business as well as the business of our vendors," James A. Marcum, vice chairman and acting president and chief executive officer said in a statement. "The combination of these trends has strained severely our working capital and liquidity."

Marcum called the decision to close stores "difficult, but necessary."
Facing heightened competition

Circuit City (CC, Fortune 500) has had only one profitable quarter in the past year, posting a wider second-quarter loss in September with a 13 percent decline in sales at stores open at least a year. Its results have weakened as the company faces significant declines in traffic, heightened competition from rival Best Buy Co. (BBY, Fortune 500) and others and a weakened brand position.

The company, which is reviewing its operations while exploring strategic alternatives, has been working with advisers to determine how to substantially improve its operating and financial performance.

Circuit City said last week that the New York Stock Exchange has warned it that its stock price is not high enough for continued listing.

The NYSE said shares in the nation's No. 2 consumer electronics retailer had an average closing price of less than $1 over 30 consecutive trading days as of Oct. 22, falling short of the exchange's requirement. Its shares have closed under a dollar in trading since Sept. 30, when they closed at 76 cents. Shares have traded between 17 cents and $8.24 in the last year.

In order to regain compliance with the NYSE, Circuit City's common stock share price and the average share price over a consecutive 30-trading-day period must both exceed $1 within six months following receipt of the notice.
Holdings cut

A major Circuit City shareholder - Classic Fund Management AG, a Liechtenstein-based asset management company - also said in a regulatory filing last week that it cut its holdings to 8.2 million shares, or about 4.8%, from 9.5 million shares, or 5.6%. It did not disclose a reason for the change.

Circuit City has been under new leadership since late September, when Chief Executive Philip J. Schoonover agreed to step down. He was replaced by Marcum, who was tapped to oversee Circuit City's multiyear turnaround efforts.

Circuit City to close 155 stores - Nov. 3, 2008

List of stores close (PDF required)
http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...E51-1C635F42F7A7/110308 Store Closing List.pd

I never like Circuit City anyway. Good grief for them.

May not like the store but that means one thing: a BIG sale~

I could use a flat screen t.v. for Christmas. ( hint hint! :lol: )

Although I do not like CC, I feel so sorry for their workers who are affected by the decision that the CC made.

CC is not close in my hometown. It's weird! I prefer Best Buy over CC

Circuit City Closing my brother's store

My brother works there part time. He asked his boss if he could work 30 hours a week instead of his normal 15-20 hours. Boss said SURE! Then next day my brother (he's young..inexperienced) went and bought a 2009 Ford Focus car with understand he work 30 hours weekly to be able to pay for car payments. Well...1 week later he find out that his store is on list to be closed!!!!!!! He going to college part time too. I hope things work out for him. :(:(:(:(

My brother works there part time. He asked his boss if he could work 30 hours a week instead of his normal 15-20 hours. Boss said SURE! Then next day my brother (he's young..inexperienced) went and bought a 2009 Ford Focus car with understand he work 30 hours weekly to be able to pay for car payments. Well...1 week later he find out that his store is on list to be closed!!!!!!! He going to college part time too. I hope things work out for him. :(:(:(:(

always get a car when you have enough in the bank.... future expectation always fail... and that's exactly what's happening with the mortgage crisis.

always get a car when you have enough in the bank.... future expectation always fail... and that's exactly what's happening with the mortgage crisis.

I cannot agree with you more. I learned a hard lesson from it.

Me neither, I don't really like Circuit City. I like Best Buy, CompUSA (too bad they killed many of them) and Fry's Electronics.

Really strange since I went to Circuit City in the mall yesterday and bought a movie lol which was abit over priced...I mean 21 dollars plus tax, seriously?? No wonder they been having money issues all along. Why, I heard months ago that Circuit City was goin to merge with Blockbuster since they were having money issues as well but seems like it's not going to happen anyway which would be pretty awkard.

It's the same issue that happened with Media Play years ago...which I did like Media Play as one of my favorite stores...too bad that one store in my town has been closed since 2004, I think. Been going to that store since 1995 to 2004. Ah well...alot of stores are having money issues and its proably because of the popular retail stores as Best Buy and Wal Mart (bleh) beating them with prices, and even Malls.

I second the same about CC, not a good store therefore a good riddance although too bad for those employees being laid off.

BB and Fry's dominate thus destroying CC and CompUSA. Kudos to them!

Yeah, I am not surprised. Rumors say that Denver will close up some major stores. Pier Imports, 18 Starbucks, 1 Sears, 2 JcPenney, 1 Circuit City, 1 Pottery Barn, 1 Old Navy and more... They will be closing up next year... Of course, there are lot of sales on holiday seasons to get rid of stuffs.

If the companies make announcements on closing stores. That means they have to lay off workers, too! This will raise unemployment rate higher.

Everything always comes down to profitability.

While I don't care for Circuit City, I feel sorry for all of the employees who will end up losing their jobs -- especially in the wake of a horrible economy. :(

There may be other job alternatives such as Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. but given the poor state of the economy, it seems that *everyone* is looking for jobs.

i didnt know that circuit city soon closed in VA and also my hometown but we have wait and see who would first close.

im really like best buy,walmart and office depot because best store in USA

i didnt know that circuit city soon closed in VA and also my hometown but we have wait and see who would first close.

im really like best buy,walmart and office depot because best store in USA

Yeah I hear ya!! I rather buy products that are made in USA. I want to support US economy, US workers, and keep money circulating inside the country.

Back