CI users up for this year's freshman class at Gallaudet

Those stats pretty much reflect the statistics for the general population, don't they?

Depends what statistic you are comparing. Right now if you look at the total population, 7 % of people who qualify under FDA guidelines in the US actually have implants. But about 35 % of newly diagnosed candidates receive implants.

Sheri
Those stats pretty much reflect the statistics for the general population, don't they?

Depends what statistic you are comparing. Right now if you look at the total population, 7 % of people who qualify under FDA guidelines in the US actually have implants. But about 35 % of newly diagnosed candidates receive implants.

Sheri

Thnaks for the clarification!

In the US, around 2000 out of the 40,000 total are bilateral. At least 300 of those were the direct results of appeals won by our foundation (like yours) but lots of them are also indirectly the results of LTHF appeals -- for example, before we won your appeal, Blue Cross in Tennessee excluded implants for anyone who was over 18, regardless of how long they had been deaf, now, all patients can receive bilateral implants if they want them and medically/audiologically qualify for them.

Cochlear says that 15 % of their sales in 2006 were for bilaterals, and I have no reason to believe that the other two manufacturers are any different, so the total number of bilateral recipients in the US should be increasing by at least 1500 a year going forward, now that we are reaching critical mass on insurance acceptance.

Sheri
How many are bilateral like me?

I think that's great! Just goes to show that acceptance of CI has really increased enourmously in the Deaf culture!

I think that's great! Just goes to show that acceptance of CI has really increased enourmously in the Deaf culture!

Yea, that was what I saw whenever I go to Gallaudet for a visit.

That's interesting. So they would be 18 year olds wouldn't they? This would be among the first age group to be implanted in bigger numbers, right?

Back