CI, telephone and music.

Dark-Half

Reaction score
I'm curious about everyones experince. I'm very much aware that it will varry from person to person depending on their history and various other factors.

I'd like to know how you guys became deaf, what age specifically and when you got the implant. How much success have you had with the telephone? Music is a nice addition to being able to precive sound, how much success have you had with that as well as to make out lyrics in the song and enjoy eh, the tones and bass? Just something for me to talk and think about, and possiblity get a rough estimate on what exactly I will benefit from the CI.

For me I went deaf at 6, mengetitis. 6 day coma. The bacteria ate at the hairs in my cochlea, my nerves are intact and normal. I'm 24 right now going on 25 and will hopefully get the implant before fall. The doc told me I probably won't be able to use a phone or hear much because of how long its been. I've proved doctors wrong once -- they said I'd never walk again after I came out of the coma, but I walk perfectly fine.

If speech has anything to do with the success rate, my audiologist told me I speak better than alot of people who are hard of hearing, not completely deaf but simply hard of hearing... which is awesome.

Speaking as a parent of a deaf child with a ci, i can share her expeirences with you. In the beginning she did not like to listen to music, she did'nt like the radio on at all. Awhile after that she actually started enjoying it and became familiar with her favorite songs when they would come on the radio and sang some of the lyrics.Talking on the telephone is something she picked up pretty fast. She has no problem with the home or cell phone and dos'ent use any of the phone cable hook ups. She knows if it's a male or female but can't always recognize the callers voice unless it's me, her dad, or grandparents. She converses back and forth with no problem. I hope this helps in any way. Good luck with everything.

Dark-Half......on the other hand, you DO have the advantage of auditory memory, so who knows? And I mean I thought that there was a CI with a special array for ossfied coachlas?

Born deaf (HOH) due to my Mom's Rubella. Started with HA around three and used them until just over the age of 47. I'm one of those super oral types where it was predicted that I would do very well and it proved to be the case. Thus, I was one of those immediate successes in understanding speech right off the bat and used the phone on the third day to talk with my wife. Had nice phone conversations with my brother and mother on the fourth day. Heck, I do conference calls too! Music was pretty decent from the start and over the first couple of weeks it got better and better as I listened to it at work most of the day. Understanding lyrics depends on the music and the song. The more straight forward and simplistic the song the easier to understand the lyrics. I have noticed that I do much better with my CI to pickout the lyrics than I ever did with a HA.

Dark-Half......on the other hand, you DO have the advantage of auditory memory, so who knows? And I mean I thought that there was a CI with a special array for ossfied coachlas?

My audiologist explained that to me, she said while I do have an AM, since how long its been it probably has decayed abit and my mind forgot, hopefully some of it is intact and I can 'wake it up' if it's laying dormant. As for the specific type of CI, yeah I think they do have those.

Hi

I was born with hearing loss and got the ci almost 3 month ago. I like it. dont expect that you are gonna hear everything. I heard that people who got mengetitis dont get good benfit out the ci. it just depend on thier age and how long they have been deaf for.

2nd Day of Activation

Hi-- I'm brand new here! Today is my 2nd day of activation with Bionic's Harmony CI. Its been a crazy adventure for me.

I lost my hearing immediately after birth for reasons undetermined. I've used bilateral digital hearing aids my whole life until my surgery last month. I'm 24 years old and my diagnosis is profound hearing loss.

My first two days have been interesting because while voices still sound terrible (buzzing, loud, etc), I'm enjoying simple sounds. I heard my dog crunching on her food, I hear my lips smacking as I eat, and things like the click of a keyboard. Very exciting for me! I have tried the phone yesterday and today but I still need my husband to mouth what is being said. So far, no phone.

Music has been interesting because I've always been able to sing along to music if I knew the words but for th emost part, the musical instruments always sounded like a big mess. But now, I notice with the CI, I can hear specific instruments like percussions!

My doctors think I'm a great candidate and I will continue to progress with my sound comprehension. One thing I can definitely hear now is "ssshhhh" and "ssss" whereas, before, I never could with my HA!

I'm only 2 days into this so I'm not sure this is very helpful... but good luck with yours!

Sounds like things are going great for u. I am sure things will continue to go well. Good luck!

Dark-Half,

My daughter is 20 with a ci. She uses the phone with pretty much no problems and for music has always liked it and basically has gone from walk-man to i-pod.
She does not use any hook-up from her ci into either the phone or i-pod. I asked her why not and she said she likes it fine without and does not want to bother with the extra wires etc.
Good luck!
Rick

My audiologist explained that to me, she said while I do have an AM, since how long its been it probably has decayed abit and my mind forgot, hopefully some of it is intact and I can 'wake it up' if it's laying dormant. As for the specific type of CI, yeah I think they do have those.

Auditory memory doesn't decay. Its still there and its still intact. It is simply a matter of experiencing the situation and stimuli that will activate it.

She didn't say decay specifically, that's my own wording. She explained that my mind might have forgotten some things regarding sounds because they haven't been used in so long, the specific region of my brain for decoding sounds.

Man I cannot wait to be able to use the phone hate having to ask people to make calls for me and also being sooo isolated some music would be nice too. Now I cant remeber who's name it was that i was reading but was sorry he got a CI.It's a big decision I am also in the process of making but figure might as well go for it cuz I C.H.S. if you know what I mean!:ty:

I was born severe/profound deaf. Started wearing hearing aids at age 3 (it took me a long time to get diagnosed as people waved off my mother's concerns). I did quite well with hearing aids, but struggled with the phone and consequently rarely used it. Then in October 2005, I suddenly lost my residual hearing and started the process for a CI.

About 4 months after activation, I started experimenting with the phone again. I played with someone's cell phone and found that I could hear pretty well with it. The voice on the other end sounded louder and more clear. I then gradually built up my confidence and now I'm at the point where I can schedule and cancel appointments with strangers. I also have reasonably complex conversations with my friends. I'm really pleased with my results even though I don't think I'll ever be completely relaxed on the phone - you can't just wipe away a whole lifetime. But it's enough to give me reassurance when I am out and about (we don't have TTY cell phones here).

Hoh can hear music like MikeSZZ on "You Tube" video
[yt]DQhEyraCVz8[/yt]

I lost my hearing when I was very sick baby after birth. I wore hearing aid since I was 2 1/2 years old. I hear 80% of sounds including bird singing. 3 years ago, my hearing went on slump (from 75db to 95db). I decided to try out CI. After CI surgery. I had CI turned on 2 weeks later (my CI dr told me that I will have it turned on in 2 instead of typical 4 wks. I was freaked out). After my first turn on. I can hear candy wrapper crinkling and car turn signal clicking. 6 months later, after 6th or 7th Remapping, I am able to hear wide array of sounds (wall clock ticking in quiet room, cricket chirping, basment water or drain pipe gurgling or running, ice maker in refrigidator churning ice into bucket ect...) It was neat experience. The ONLY problem is that I still can't understand people talking behind my back. I can hear voices clearly behind me but not words by words. I heard some sounds that I've never heard (20% of sound that I did not hear in my lifetime wearing hearing aid) such as hot automotive radiator make gurgling sound after I parked in garage and turn off engine was the first time I've ever encounter. I was trying to pin point sound where it came from and can't find it. I pulled my hearing daughter and asked her what's the sound coming from. She quickly pointed to radiator of my Jeep. Wow!!

That's my experince with my CI and still learning LOL.
Thanks
Catty

that was awesome video.. after a few trys.. it make sense for me to understand some. thanks for sharing lavender

Back