CI surgery & switch on calender thread!

Mine didnt work... KIDDING!!! :giggle:

Everything went great! I can hear bunch of things... some of them are same sounds as i remembered. My voice sound seriously weird. I can hear both my lil sis just fine.. it sounds the same as i remmy.
The flushing toliet sound so awful :eek3: .. i hurried run out of the bathroom. lol.
I still cant hear other things yet..
When i first got it turn on, everything went so loud.. i screamed at my CI audi to shut it off. So she did. She told me i was prob hearing the heater vent next room or whatever. I told her well that was too loud for me. LoL. She made it sounds a little more better.. so i didnt hear the heater that loud anymore.
Everything did sounds weird at first, but it had gotton better now.

I go back on Wednesday.. i cant wait.

I'm so happy it went well for you, DevBaby!

Now, we're all anxiously waiting on Blazing Sunset's activation report!

Congrats. Glad things went well. Ashley has a change in her surgery again. Her doc out of the blue decided to only do one side at a time. She is concerned with her size and her delays. So now it is 1st CI right side on Monday.

Congrats. Glad things went well. Ashley has a change in her surgery again. Her doc out of the blue decided to only do one side at a time. She is concerned with her size and her delays. So now it is 1st CI right side on Monday.

Two separate surgeries - that must be somewhat more frustrating to you but it's good that the doctor is going with her gut feel on this. When is the second surgery likely to be? Months afterwards?

Her doc wants to wait about a year to give her time to grow and try to catch up a bit. Could be sooner or a little later depends on how well Ashley does with the 1st implant. I will know her activation date after Monday. They said they would tell us all that after surgery.

She is concerned with her size and her delays
Like what kind of delays? It's still pretty early to tell how well Ashely will develop. Seriously.....you'll meet all kinds of parents of special needs kids who will tell you, that the doctors said that their kids would be very profoundly affected by their disablity. In some cases, yes that's true......but in many other cases they aren't as severely affected as people would think.
Maybe when she gets her first CI, there will be a burst of development.
Oh, and the size thing...........isn't that b/c the bilat surgery is longer then the unilateral surgery?
At least she's still getting her second CI.....and maybe if the CI spurs better development, she might get it sooner then a year.

Her doc thinks it is a very long surgery for her to go through right now. She is still so small. She is only 14lbs 8 oz and her head is still tiny too. She also wants to make sure she will be a good Ci user. I feel she will do great. She is already meeting and passing her goals in therapy. They say she is doing great. Maybe she will be able to go in and ask for her second Ci herself.

Her doc thinks it is a very long surgery for her to go through right now.
I knew it!
She also wants to make sure she will be a good Ci user.
Well that makes sense....Kind of building a solid foundation. And I mean at least a second CI isn't as vital as a first one.
I feel she will do great. She is already meeting and passing her goals in therapy
Oh that's good! So does she just have typical sensory related delays? Rather then cognitive/developmental delays?
She didn't have any benifit from hearing aids(even enviromental sounds?) did she? If so, I'd be catiously optimistic....It's a WICKED good sign that she's doing so well with the therapy, but you gotta remember that she'll have to start from scratch in interpreting sounds and things. It's going to be hard to tell how well she'll be able to do with it. That would be VERY cool if she reached hoh listening levels, with just one.....and I think there are SOME early prelingal/ congentially deaf folks who can hear at hoh levels with a CI.
Keep in mind that the research indicates that many of the implantees who are functionally hoh, heard normally for a while.....doesn't mean that Ashely won't.... She'll probaly get a quite a bit of benifit, but she might not get as much as she would, if for example she had heard normally at one time, or if she had auditory nereopathy. Just going to have to wait and see. The good progress in therapy is a GOOD sign, and I gotta say, I think that she's not going to just get minimal benifit (ie just enviromental sounds) It just depends on how well she'll learn how to use her new hearing. If only we had a crystal ball.......too bad, there's not too much research/specific support out there for how well preemies benifit from CI. You might be able to get a better idear of how well she'll do with it, from that sort of thing.........It's also awesome that you've hooked her up with the school for the deaf and the blind already!
They do have an oral program if I recall correctly. .....I was just looking at the site, and unfortunatly it doesn't mention a formal Deaf Blind program. Still, at least this way, Ashely will get all the therapies she needs, so she can have a good foundation, for her later education whatever that may be. (I have to say as an aside, that I think another part of the puzzle is that some implanted kids may not have done as well as they could have with the implant b/c they didn't get the proper early intervention and training.......like they just attended a "general" EI program/got "general" EI services)

I'm all hooked up since last Thursday. I was using hearing aids for the past 26 years.

As of March 1, I am "Rebuilt" and have started over with Hickory Dickory Dock and Mary Had a Little Lamb. After a session with my verbal therapist on Friday, my kids just love the fact that the table has turned. They are now reading me nursery rhymes and kiddie paragraphs as I go thru the practice sessions as recommended by by the therapist. As they say, life goes full circle.

I am getting about 8 hours from my slim AB batteries but with 4, I've always got fresh one available. What I wish they would develop is a system similar to the one in autos for refueling. AB should come up with a ding, ding, ding alert when the battery is getting low just like almost empty in my car . That way a wearer does not have to guesstimate how often to change batteries or in other cases where the battery just goes dead and that's when it is changed.

Anyway, I feel like I have a little guy in my head with delayed speech. Sounds like he is in a galaxy far, far, away. Verbal therapist told me that as my brain gets more acustom to the system and as I practice and become more familar with things that the delayed transmission will become more simultaneous and that little man in the head feeling will go away.

I also have some listening practice websites that I have started using. My kids are getting a kick out:bowlol: of it with me listening to stuff they are finished with. One website I am using has environmental sounds that I don't recognized yet. Got to retrain that dormant part of my brain.

Oh well, more practice...

Hondu,

Glad to hear things are going well for you after being hooked up!

Keep on truckin'....

My Audi gave me 6 programs, 3 on each processor. I am currently at #5 and can say that #3 and #5 are the best so far. Will switch to #6 tomorrow to see what it sounds like. She told me that after I decide which 3 I prefer, she will program both processors the same.

Funny thing happened yesterday. I heard this repetitive sound that was like music. So I asked my younger son what was playing and he said the washer machine.:laugh2:
I noticed that while in theMaster Bedroom, I can still hear the music or should I say the chug, chug, chug or the washer machine.

Ashley's surgery went great. She has been playing a little today. Thank you for all of the support.

Back