CI surgery & switch on calender thread!

Yes I don't think they normally cut through any nerves although someone could correct me on that.

Glad that Victoria is okay now. Poor little mite! She probably woke up feeling disorientated and didn't know what was going on. Were you able to sign to her at all during this time or was she too distraught even for that?

It's over now :)

Yes I don't think they normally cut through any nerves although someone could correct me on that.

Glad that Victoria is okay now. Poor little mite! She probably woke up feeling disorientated and didn't know what was going on. Were you able to sign to her at all during this time or was she too distraught even for that?

It's over now :)

She was so distraught. I think she had her eyes closed most of the time. She was just fighting. I think a large part of her problem was all the wires on her. The more she fought, the more the wires got tangled. They had the heart monitor on, and I think those wires were just wrapped around her and pulling on her. Once everything was off her, she was able to relax more.

Thanks, I am so glad it's over.

She probably didn't understand what was going on. I had two major surgeries 2 or 3 years ago and I vaguely remember waking up from the first one all disoriented and people keep trying to talk to me and I couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to grasp what they were trying to tell me. I did catch someone say, "she does not understand." When I scheduled my second surgery I requested that the interpreter stay until I get to the recovery room and can understand what people were saying. It went better that time.

Glad Victoria got through the surgery!

Back online

Good Morning to All

I am home alone today. My wife took 2 days off from work for the surgery and a day of recovery. I have to say that I feel blessed since my only problem so far is not being able to sleep straight thru the night. I find it very difficult to position myself for comfort. So I am left to take catnaps.

I have not experienced any metallic taste and I'm eating normal diet again. No facial swelling and no pain except for when I first recovered from the anesthesia. On a scale of 1 to 10, the pain was a 4. The nurse inisisted that I eat crackers and drink water or juice before giving me 1 Vicodin. I had a choice of saltines or grahams and I chose the former because I felt the salt would make me feel better. My wife fed me cranberry juice that was also provided by the hospital. Since that single pill, I have taken no more.
Oh, I forgot one item, when I first recovered, my mouth and throat was dry from the gas tube. So I was fed ice chips.

My surgery took place at Medical City in Dallas. We arrived at 10:30 and my surgery time was 12:30. Everybody(nurses, anestheologist, doctor) were very nice and reassuring. They asked me a lot of redundant questions but I guess they were trying to be thorough so as not to make a mistake. After all that, I was wheeled in to the operating room at 12:40. By the way, they let me keep my boxers and my socks on:giggle:
After asking me to scoot over to the operating table, I was out like a light within 15 seconds. I remember nothing until I woke up about 3:40.

Medical City is a very nice hopital. Relatives and friends don't have to keep bothering personnel trying to find out the status of the operation. They have a monitor in the waiting room and the cafeteria. The monitors work just like those in the airport for the arrivals/departures. Each line is a different patient's initials with the doctors name and the status with symbols indicating moved to operating room, a scapel symbol meaning cutting has begun, a stiches symbol for closing stage, and another one indicating patient is in recovery room. My wife said it put her a ease knowing what was going on.

By the way, I was a little nauseous right after waking up and they gave me some medicine thru the IV. No nausea problems after that.

This morning before my wife left for work, she changed the gauze. Tomorrow morning, everthing comes off and the doctor says the incision can get wet.

I return to the doctor on Thursday February 15 for a checkup and then I will have to go 2 doors over to the audiologist who will go over the Advance Bionics equipment and review the information. Then I go back on March 1 for activation.

That's all I can remember at present

Hondu

Medical City is a very nice hopital. Relatives and friends don't have to keep bothering personnel trying to find out the status of the operation. They have a monitor in the waiting room and the cafeteria. The monitors work just like those in the airport for the arrivals/departures. Each line is a different patient's initials with the doctors name and the status with symbols indicating moved to operating room, a scapel symbol meaning cutting has begun, a stiches symbol for closing stage, and another one indicating patient is in recovery room. My wife said it put her a ease knowing what was going on.

Neat! CONGRATULATIONS!

Now you're one of us! :D

This morning before my wife left for work, she changed the gauze. Tomorrow morning, everthing comes off and the doctor says the incision can get wet.

Congratulations! My daughter had surgery the same day as you. They kept her overnight, but when they sent her home she had no bandage on at all. I was surprised by that. I think she has stitches in the inside, and the outside was corterized (probably spelt wrong). Is that how your incision is?

Thanks

I never heard of that! Sounds a really cool idea. A bit like a parcel tracking system :whistle: Congrats and so glad you had such a straightforward experience too.

Congratulations! My daughter had surgery the same day as you. They kept her overnight, but when they sent her home she had no bandage on at all. I was surprised by that. I think she has stitches in the inside, and the outside was corterized (probably spelt wrong). Is that how your incision is?

Thanks

That's the same as my experience. They kept me in overnight and took off the bandage the next day. I just had steristrips covering the incision, which was right behind my ear.

Thanks

I certainly hope that Victoria is doing much better as the days go by. I could hardly read your account of what transpired before the surgery (the delay and so hungry) and then her reaction upon waking up. It was heart wrenching and gave me chills up the spine.

The only was I can describe it is that I have those dissolvable stitches. The doctor has a strip of tape (steritape or whatever) covering the incision. Over that was the cup with gauze for seepage.
Now that the cup has been remove, sleep is improving.

My main problem is balance. I haven't experienced vertigo or dizziness but I shuffle around the house. I can tell by the way I move around that I am not too stable on my feet. When I sit up from the bed or the sofa, I know to take 15 seconds or so to orient myself, so that I would not stubble or fall as I start to move. Other than that, I couldn't be more pleased.

I certainly hope that Victoria is doing much better as the days go by. I could hardly read your account of what transpired before the surgery (the delay and so hungry) and then her reaction upon waking up. It was heart wrenching and gave me chills up the spine.

The only was I can describe it is that I have those dissolvable stitches. The doctor has a strip of tape (steritape or whatever) covering the incision. Over that was the cup with gauze for seepage.
Now that the cup has been remove, sleep is improving.

My main problem is balance. I haven't experienced vertigo or dizziness but I shuffle around the house. I can tell by the way I move around that I am not too stable on my feet. When I sit up from the bed or the sofa, I know to take 15 seconds or so to orient myself, so that I would not stubble or fall as I start to move. Other than that, I couldn't be more pleased.

It was hard to see her so upset. I realize now that it was more discomfort rather than pain. At the time I thought she was in a lot of pain and that made me feel worse. Now when I look back I see she was just annoyed. She recovered great other than that, so I assume it wasn't pain that was bothering her. I was hoping I would be one of the parents who say that everything was wonderful, but other than recovery, she did do wonderful!

I am glad you are feeling good too. She doesn't seem to be dizzy at all. She isn't walking yet, but she is cruising around the walls and furniture. She doesn't seem to have any balance issues at all. Her incision doesn't seem to be painful either. I am afraid to touch it, but my husband did (and so has she), and she doesn't seem bothered at all by it. She even sleeps on that side. I am amazed it doesn't hurt you guys!

I'm glad to see that Victoria is recovering quite nicely from her surgery. It's good to see that everything went smoothly other than that ordeal in Recovery.

My CI surgery was August 22, 2006 and My turn on was October 2nd, 2006. :cool:

I am thinking about getting 2nd CI when technology gets improvement in a few years. :fingersx:

My CI surgery was August 22, 2006 and My turn on was October 2nd, 2006. :cool:

I am thinking about getting 2nd CI when technology gets improvement in a few years. :fingersx:

Cool! So you've been quite happy with the first CI so far?

Updated the chart for Ashley's new date!

Going through candidacy process and Waiting for dates
Dark Half (First CI)
Ismi (First CI)
Deafmama 78 (First CI)

Surgeries
Ashley 5th March (Bilateral CI)
JohnJoe1011 3rd April (First CI)
Deafskeptic 24th April (First CI)

Activations

Blazing Sunset 26th February? (Frist CI)
Devbaby 26th February (First CI)
OldNavygirl 6th March (First CI)
Victoria 6th March (First CI)

Updated the chart for Ashley's new date!

Going through candidacy process and Waiting for dates
Dark Half (First CI)
Ismi (First CI)
Deafmama 78 (First CI)

Surgeries
Ashley 5th March (Bilateral CI)
JohnJoe1011 3rd April (First CI)
Deafskeptic 24th April (First CI)

Activations

Blazing Sunset 26th February? (Frist CI)
Devbaby 26th February (First CI)
OldNavygirl 6th March (First CI)
Victoria 6th March (First CI)

Just re-posting.

Oh wow, both Blazing Sunset and Devbaby are being activated today. Hope it went well for the both of them!

Back