CI surgery pennding and I'm nervous

The general rule of thumb is not to take asprin 2 days before any surgery. And that includes teeth cleaning .. Will thin your blood out and you will bleed like a stuck piggy. Do consult your doctor before the surgery though

I wonder how many of you had to be on oxygen mask? never could figure out why during my childbirth (I was awake, but they put it on me later) AND my cochlear implant. During my implant surgery, I woke up with oxygen mask. I have asthma, but I didn't think they would put it on me if I am not flared up. Is it a safety precaution or something? I'm just curious if this just common.

If you have asthma they usually do it as a precaution I presume. Of the surgeries I've had, I've had an oxygen mask I think all the times but once on when I wake up due to having asthma.

I wonder how many of you had to be on oxygen mask? never could figure out why during my childbirth (I was awake, but they put it on me later) AND my cochlear implant. During my implant surgery, I woke up with oxygen mask. I have asthma, but I didn't think they would put it on me if I am not flared up. Is it a safety precaution or something? I'm just curious if this just common.

I would have thought it would be just as precaution for asthma or other health issues.

I don't have other health problems, I was in recovery with nothing but finger thing and BP cuff , I had no IV fluids or Oxygen mask.

With the oxygen mask this is the thing:

It's 100% pure oxygen, the body heals better when it's loaded with oxygen, blood saturated with oxygen brings healing cells to the site quickly.

It helps you wake up a little.

A precaution, since you have been placed under, into a state of very deep sleep, just before passing the line of being dead. They place a ventilator tube in your throat so you can breathe while under.

It is to make sure that you receive enough oxygen after surgury. This is all done by the anesthesia team. Awesome group of people. They are the ones that advocate for you, monitor your heart, lungs, oxygen saturation, and brain waves<----that is what tells them how far under you are.

better answer than mine dgirl:) lol

actually now when you're put under they don't actually put a tube all the way down your throat in only goes to around back of your throat since it's easier and safer and such...they showed me when i had my surgery last summer:)

Alicia,

I think it may be due to preventing you from getting irritated airways?

If I recall correctly (if not let me know!) asthma is a condition when the airways get inflamed and swell causing lack of air to pass through?

When I got my first CI, each of the surguries I had (5 of them) they used longer tubes on me. I guess they wanted to prevent me from snoring???? lol

Who knows, times change, you are probably correct on the matter of tubes.

I know for sure tho I am prepared and well aware of what goes on. I'm scheduled to an eval in April on the 7th.

I hope I don't get sick again like last time if I am a canidate for a CI.

well my last surgery was last summer and they told me most hospitals now use the shorter tubes as they are safer, easier to insert, etc. but maybe this not in the US? Good luck on your evaluation :)

Back