CI Surgery approved today

Took everything out of the Cochlear suitcase, WOW a lot of stuff to charge and learn about. Getting it all ready for my Wednesday activation appointment.

Not sure how Cochlear does things but I have read postings from those that have gotten AB to NOT open anything that there is any question at all about you wanting to keep. They can get UNOPENED things exchanged for different accessories that are on the list to choose from at no additional charge!

Does the CI really make a difference? How bad do you have to be to get approved for one? My problem isn't volume so much as understanding language. I'm asking because I just lost a job due to my hearing impairment. (Yes, that's the reason they gave)
Sue their pants off, then get a CI.... just an opinion.

Not sure how Cochlear does things but I have read postings from those that have gotten AB to NOT open anything that there is any question at all about you wanting to keep. They can get UNOPENED things exchanged for different accessories that are on the list to choose from at no additional charge!

Yes, if you have un opened items they will exchange them.... stuff you ordered. BUT, stuff they give you extra...they wont exchange those items.

Yes, if you have un opened items they will exchange them.... stuff you ordered. BUT, stuff they give you extra...they wont exchange those items.

Exactly, plus with the N6 you pre-order what accessories you want. Also, I am using the backup N6 to replace my one and only N5 so there are not a lot of extras in the case. My first N5 suitcase had a lot of extra stuff. Multiple disposable batteries, six cards of them. This time you get just one card of them. The N6 only came with two rechargeable batteries, wish there were four of them. They cost $199 per battery. If your wearing two CI's I think it would be best to have two back up batteries. When two are charging you still have two to wear.

Mike, you were so right there is so much to carry around with all these accessories. Getting them all charged and figured out took me most of the day. I'm completely ready for tomorrows activation, thinking positive for sure.

Hey Angel, first, we get activated on the same day!!!! So fun!!! :D I've been "on" for oh about 5.5 hours. It's strange but good!!

Hey Angel, first, we get activated on the same day!!!! So fun!!! :D I've been "on" for oh about 5.5 hours. It's strange but good!!

Congrats, I was thinking of you all day. I'm wearing both CI's but if I wear just the new one sounds pretty bad. I know it will take time but my audi thinks it will catch up quickly.

So, what do you hear? I have the Charlie Brown "wah wah wah".

My audi set up all my accessories since my other ear has had a CI for years. They work really well. Hubby is trying to set up the tv streamer now.

I know you have AB and I have Cochlear so our journey will be a little different. I hope that you do extremely well, you waited a long time for this and you so deserve it.

Did you have to count all the beeps when they turned on your CI? Always gives me a headache. Did you record your activation...would love to see it.

Congrats, I was thinking of you all day. I'm wearing both CI's but if I wear just the new one sounds pretty bad. I know it will take time but my audi thinks it will catch up quickly.

So, what do you hear? I have the Charlie Brown "wah wah wah".

My audi set up all my accessories since my other ear has had a CI for years. They work really well. Hubby is trying to set up the tv streamer now.

I know you have AB and I have Cochlear so our journey will be a little different. I hope that you do extremely well, you waited a long time for this and you so deserve it.

Did you have to count all the beeps when they turned on your CI? Always gives me a headache. Did you record your activation...would love to see it.

I just had to tell her when I could hear them, and then we talked about if needed it louder or quieter. I can hear speech, it's sounds strange and I do have to be looking at the speaker. I posted some about it in my thread.

I do have a video, if I can figure out how to get it in here without putting it on YouTube or something I'll post it. :)

I just had to tell her when I could hear them, and then we talked about if needed it louder or quieter. I can hear speech, it's sounds strange and I do have to be looking at the speaker. I posted some about it in my thread.

I do have a video, if I can figure out how to get it in here without putting it on YouTube or something I'll post it. :)

Sounds like you are doing amazing. With my new CI I can understand speech but it is super quiet. Changing the volume does not make it louder My husband says I am doing extremely well, much better than my first CI. Funny I can't remember all of that.

Looks like we both had a very positive activation day. Second mapping is next Wednesday for me.

Oh and for those who wanted to know about the N6 vs N5 for wind noise etc. I've already noticed the N6 is so much better in those situations.

Sounds like you are doing amazing. With my new CI I can understand speech but it is super quiet. Changing the volume does not make it louder My husband says I am doing extremely well, much better than my first CI. Funny I can't remember all of that.

Looks like we both had a very positive activation day. Second mapping is next Wednesday for me.

Oh and for those who wanted to know about the N6 vs N5 for wind noise etc. I've already noticed the N6 is so much better in those situations.
yep. some didnt believe me either... well heres proof...lol

Mike, I hope you don't mind. I just watched your activation vid. Very emotional as I just had surgery on Aug 10 and my activation is on Sept. 8. I sure hope I can keep it together during my session! Thanks for posting.

Dave

It's been a few days since my activation and things are going very well. The tv streamer is amazing. My husband is loving that I don't blast the tv anymore. You can have the volume turned off on the tv and still hear it through your CI with the tv streamer. I mostly am hearing with my first CI but the second one is making progress.

I haven't spent too much time outdoors with the new CI yet but that will change starting tomorrow. Second mapping on Wednesday.

Hey Dave, good luck to you. It's ok to show your sensitive side it's an amazing journey. Let us know how it goes for you.

Thanks Angel and thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences. It certainly is a life changer. I don't comment much but I do follow people's stories and you're all a really amazing bunch of folks so thanks again. :)

Thanks Angel and thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences. It certainly is a life changer. I don't comment much but I do follow people's stories and you're all a really amazing bunch of folks so thanks again. :)
Youll try to man up and hold it back, but itll creep up on you and jump out lol
I fought it HARD and you can see me turning red in the video...lol

i'm sure my face was beet red the whole time. Dang it's hard to hold back! Thanks though. Great vid, I may film mine as well.

Yesterday was my first day out trying to use the mini mic. I couldn't hear anything....realized late last night that for some reason I needed to re pair it with my CI's. I guess this has happened with other CI users. Learn something new every day.

Mike has been so so helpful......thank you Mike. I feel so blessed to have such amazing AD friends.

Back