CI Surgery approved today

My audi said watching TV with CC on was not a good idea. With most programs or movies, she says there is too much background noise, such as music. I have tried watching TV with the CC on, but CC is always behind by a few seconds. I am wearing my CI all day now and can hear Marley bark and the phone ring!! My hubby is at the library right now, picking me up some books on tape. Keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate and try all of them. Thank you!!!

I received a small dry store case with my CI equipment. About the size of a glasses case. I want to get another one. I keep my back up processor in the one they provided. I would like another to put my CI that I wear daily in at night, or if for some reason I need to take it off while I am out. Do you know where I can get one? I looked online with Cochlear and other sites, but I can't find it.

I already have the Zypher. I live in CA, not a lot of humidity so I will only use that a few times a month, I think. I am looking for the small case to put in my purse and at night when I take it off. I believe I looked at all the sites you mentioned. They do all have the dry and store but not the small cases. Maybe there is no need for a case. Where do you put your CI when you take it off? Do you use the Zypher every night? Also if I have to take it off when I am out, what is the best way to store it? Maybe I am being too careful? Thanks

What about storing my backup processor back in its box. Then use the small case for night and when I am out. How do others store their backup processors? Just curious?

I live in Wyoming where it's extremely dry here so I hardly ever use the dry and store. The Zypher that came with my CI is still in its package, unopened. I keep my processors on top of a bookcase (I also keep all of my CI accessories/batteries/etc on the same bookcase too). Have a little wooden box that I put the processor I've been using, and the one I'm not using is in its own case that came with that processor kit (Harmony and Neptune have their own separate cases for safekeeping when not in use, the Harmony one having the ability to dry out the CI similar to the hearing aid drying canisters).

But yeah, you could probably keep the back up in its box, and take it out when you need to use it.

If you for whatever reason need to take the CI off when you're out and about and need a safe place for it, probably a small case would work to keep in your purse. Maybe go to a department store and try like a plastic soap bar case or something similar to that, travel cases. There are also waterproof otter box cases that you could buy and keep your CI in it Waterproof iPod Cases | OtterBox 1000 Series | OtterBox.com I've heard from some parents that have gotten otter box cases for their kids' hearing aids or CIs for safekeeping.

Like cdmeggers suggested, a waterproof box is a good place to store the CI's. I am currently using a hard-shell small camera box to keep mine in.

As for humidity issues, the summers here in the Delmarva area are cruel, and I don't bother wearing my CI's while doing physical activities outdoors unless I am working with people that are difficult to lipread. My old Freedom processor's batteries would always short out after an hour of sweating.

I don't know, maybe I can't hear some (most?) background noises while watching movies, but I think a lot of movies have just dialogues.

I think it's still worth trying. why not?

It's great that you are able to hear with CI!!
I remember the doctors who told you it won't help any! now, who's having their foot in their mouth, huh? huh??

Fuzzy

My audi said watching TV with CC on was not a good idea. With most programs or movies, she says there is too much background noise, such as music.

Your audi is partially correct. Most prime-time shows such as NCIS, CSI, etc emphasize on what everyone is saying, and the captions are pre-processed. Watching the news or sports is harder since they use real-time captioning, which has a loooooong delay.

Movies from the '60's and earlier are annoying to listen to since they always have an orchestra playing in the background. One TV series that is so clear for me is Star Trek - The Next Generation. Not sure why, but every character is easy to understand.

Among the worst are reality-tv series, as there are always overlapping voices and shouting. (Jerseylicious, Hell's Kitchen, etc).

Thanks green427 I didn't know that about the different types of shows. I don't watch reality tv, so no problem there. I will give this a try.

Also thanks to you and cdmeggers, regarding storage for my CI. Good options!!!

Today I went out by myself. I told my dental office that if they spoke slow, I "might" be able to figure out what they were saying. They didn't get it and talked fast. I heard some words tho. Every day I write down a new sound I heard. Todays sound was my turn signal in my car. I was super excited!!!

Yay!! :h5:

that's just great, you being out and dealing with stuff by yourself.
Rotten tomatoes to pple who can't get thru their head what does it mean "please speak SLOWLY".

247668-go-on-throw-a-rotten-tomato.jpg

Fuzzy

........ I told my dental office that if they spoke slow, I "might" be able to figure out what they were saying. They didn't get it and talked fast. I heard some words tho. ......
Reminds me of being in Italy and talking slow Italian (from the guide book to order a room) to the woman at hotel reception.. Apparently, my Italian was so good that the reply came at 100 words/minute... I didn't get any of it...

Today I went to the mall with my mom and hubby. I wore my CI all day. My new sound that I heard today, was the beep, beep of a cash register we were passing. Apparently I must have been talking very loud today, when we got home my neighbor asked why my voice was hoarse. I can follow conversations pretty well, as long as they are speaking to my CI ear and definitely lipreading. I am on level 3 sometimes 4 on my remote.

Today I spent the day with my daughter. First time since my activation. We went to lunch and had a nice chat. I could carry on a conversation with her pretty well as long as she was facing me and I could lipread. My new sound I heard today, was the bell on the door at the deli we had lunch at. Every day just gets better and better:) I must be talking a lot more, cos after I take my CI off I am a little hoarse.Hahaha

Today I spent the day with my daughter. First time since my activation. We went to lunch and had a nice chat. I could carry on a conversation with her pretty well as long as she was facing me and I could lipread. My new sound I heard today, was the bell on the door at the deli we had lunch at. Every day just gets better and better:) I must be talking a lot more, cos after I take my CI off I am a little hoarse.Hahaha

Out of pure curiosity how does your own voice sound to you? I ask because that sound, my won voice, is the sound I'm most familiar with. Just wonder if it sounds different to you now than it did before your implant.

Out of pure curiosity how does your own voice sound to you? I ask because that sound, my won voice, is the sound I'm most familiar with. Just wonder if it sounds different to you now than it did before your implant.

My voice is very amplified and loud. As of now, it definitely does not sound like it did before I went deaf. I never could wear hearing aids because I had a total loss of hearing in both ears. My own voice is pretty hard to get used to since with the CI it is very loud. I am working on it tho, and they say it will keep getting better. Thanks for asking!!!

yeeessss TV/movies with captions/subtitles, I do a LOT of that! My audie told me it's ok to have the captions on, but to try to do more lipreading than reading captions. uuhh that hasn't really worked out much for me yet, still needing the captions :)

You can't "lip read" on television. There's a time difference that affects the visual and audio aspects that is television, and while you can probably do basic lip reading - that's as far it'll go. Lip reading off of TV or movies doesn't work great....captions aren't so hot either. When you have them and they're working, it's fantastic, but usually I find they're being typed wrong or well after someone has said something. Often things are omitted as well which always bums me out.....

I feel sort of bad, cos I didn't wear my CI today. I am home alone and have had a headache all day. I took a little break. Tomorrow I will do better!!!!!

Back