CI sound

eggyman

Reaction score
What do cochlear implants sound like? - 1: speech | Auditory Neuroscience

i have been showing my parent to see what is CI sound like
I am bit concern that CI sound is not normal so i will have to listen to that sound for rest off my life ? . The another thing is will auidology tuned maps try to go back normal sound ? thank

Candidated med el implant
waiting 4 operation

What do cochlear implants sound like? - 1: speech | Auditory Neuroscience

i have been showing my parent to see what is CI sound like
I am bit concern that CI sound is not normal so i will have to listen to that sound for rest off my life ? . The another thing is will auidology tuned maps try to go back normal sound ? thank

Candidated med el implant
waiting 4 operation

Its pretty much bs. How does one hearing know what an implant sounds like when they never used it. And how does one deaf know what a "hearing" world is like.
Listening to the audios, its not like that for me. Its all pure clean sound.

Nothing pisses me off more than someone telling me this is what I am hearing, cause I know what I am hearing with my implant... source: I wear it! Not some hearing person telling me what it actually sounds like.

And as far as mapping goes, first few maps (depending on person) will probably be just "getting used" to the implant. and then they do tune the maps to fine details such as freqs. and level of volumes and what sounds the implant will try to catch, for example, tuning the "shhh" sounds, the map can be detailed for this.

For one, there is no way that hearing people determine what the CI sounds like.

Secondly, It will sound robotic for little while and after few/many mappings you will hear the sounds based on HOW your brain learns to hear by utilzing the CI and Listening and communication between the Audiologist and YOU, the more you communicate with your Audi the better idea he/she gets and giving you the right mapping.

Those sound samples are BS. They scared the hell out of me prior to implantation. It's the best they can come up with though. It sounds like normal hearing when optimized. Everyone has different results though and learning to hear if you don't have much experience will take dedication. You will need to leave your processor on and take in the sound around you through your waking hours. It isn't an instant on process.

Sorry people ,i think is true that how the hell hearing know what CI sound like ,
So is obviously BS :D
I do willing to listen hard even if am struggling ;)

For me, as a hearing person... If I were to become deaf, I would even get an CI, if the sound were like they claim. I could understand most of the news instantly and if it becomes better over time, good.

The results which CI's offer really convicted me. The human technique is astonishing.

Its pretty much bs. How does one hearing know what an implant sounds like when they never used it. And how does one deaf know what a "hearing" world is like.
Only someone who was normal hearing in past and became deaf and CI later maybe can compare.

For me, as a hearing person... If I were to become deaf, I would even get an CI, if the sound were like they claim. I could understand most of the news instantly and if it becomes better over time, good.

The results which CI's offer really convicted me. The human technique is astonishing.

Only someone who was normal hearing in past and became deaf and CI later maybe can compare.

hmm that is interesting hearing people became deaf and CI later and i think is totally different from born deaf all through out life then CI because we as deaf were bought up to do BSL ,lipread and speak (some don't ) where as hearing don't know how to lip read or BSL :D

As Cochlear Implants are of recent "origin"- the last few years-25/35?- thus there isn't too much long term experience available.

There is another factor forgotten: Not everyone DEAF can benefit from one. I have mentioned before the actual experience-Sunnybrook-Cochlear Implant section/Toronto. Started in 1984 to 2011-reviewed 3000 patients of which 950 were implanted. Of that group 18 received no benefit. Whether other centres around the world are similar-unknown to me.

One who has hearing can learn any sign language-BSL or ASL-whatever or Speechread if desired. There is a subgroup of "cultural deaf" persons even though they have hearing.Some members of AllDeaf.com have so declared here.

In the end what counts is the actual Hearing loss one has. The comparison to what a hearing aid VS a Cochlear Implant "does re sound input" is hypothetical.

Back