CI soon...CI friendly only please

excellent.gif

R2D2

Wowser, R2D2! Cannot wait to read your nest post! :hyper:

And I loved the comment about the Bluetooth and the possibility of leaving it somewhere and listening in on conversations! Hmmmm...

Also, the term "borgette" hit home cos I'm a "guyette" at work! (the only female on the team) :fly:

Cloggy said:

Cloggy, I absolutely love this waving, thumbs-up smiley. Where did you find it?

And R2D2, best of luck to you.. anxiously waiting to hear from you again so we know how it went! Take care :)

:) Britt, fellow borgette

Thanks for all of your good wishes everyone - it went well! I posted a more detailed account of my experience in Sarah's thread asking for surgery experiences.

Oh there you are! Welcome back! (and I'll check out your story on Sarah's thread)
:h5:

Thanks, R2D2! When I read about the post-op experiences, I feel more comfortable knowing how I should feel after my turn.

Just wanted wish Stacieleigh all the best with her hook up on Weds! You'll let us know all the details won't you? Now you do know that it's not going to sound the best for a while don't you? My audie has told me that it will sound terrible to begin with, but that it will improve as the brain adjusts to the new medium of sound.

I won't be too far behind you - Thursday next week!

I'm sure she is well prepared for the "BOOMING WORLD". :D

Stacieleigh, just remember your own voice will be too loud! I had to whisper at first. I had tears not because of joy but because it was far louder than I could imagine. It was hilarious to me that my audi thought I was teary because I could "gasp" hear. Heck, I expected to be able to hear and I wasn't surprised at all. It was the voices, the air vent, the computer, the car's engine...the whole gamut. Overwhelming is the operative word of the day for anybody's hookup.

I will say just hang in there as it gets better over time.

sr171soars said:

Stacieleigh, just remember your own voice will be too loud! I had to whisper at first. I had tears not because of joy but because it was far louder than I could imagine. It was hilarious to me that my audi thought I was teary because I could "gasp" hear. Heck, I expected to be able to hear and I wasn't surprised at all. It was the voices, the air vent, the computer, the car's engine...the whole gamut. Overwhelming is the operative word of the day for anybody's hookup.

So what do you recommend? Keeping activities low key for the days following hook up?

:) about the tears of "joy" in your eyes. Sometimes hearing people have very romantic thoughts about what it is like for a deaf person to be able to hear again and often don't realise that it involves a lot of adjustment and hard work - albeit worth it!

R2D2 said:
So what do you recommend? Keeping activities low key for the days following hook up?

:) about the tears of "joy" in your eyes. Sometimes hearing people have very romantic thoughts about what it is like for a deaf person to be able to hear again and often don't realise that it involves a lot of adjustment and hard work - albeit worth it!

No. There is nothing you can do that really mitigates the "noisy" world. Obviously, avoid really loud things but the rest is just normal and you just have to get used to it. Give you an example, where I used to work (building wise) there was a door that led to a refrigerator that we used for our food. It slams in a certain way and it irritated the heck out of me at first as I was hearing more nuiances than with my HA. Another was trucks and cars. They are really LOUD to say the least. Thought my brain was getting squished by the sounds.

Actually, my audi is quite used to the "tears of joy" syndrome and mistakenly thought that is what I was doing. She actually said to me that it was "alright" to cry and I croaked and said that wasn't why but because how blinkin' loud it was. But you are correct, most people probably react that way. I never wavered in my thinking that I would hear and therefore didn't have a "romantic" view about it... :whistle:

sr171soars said:
No. There is nothing you can do that really mitigates the "noisy" world. Obviously, avoid really loud things but the rest is just normal and you just have to get used to it. Give you an example, where I used to work (building wise) there was a door that led to a refrigerator that we used for our food. It slams in a certain way and it irritated the heck out of me at first as I was hearing more nuiances than with my HA. Another was trucks and cars. They are really LOUD to say the least. Thought my brain was getting squished by the sounds.

Cool, thanks for the honesty. Everyone seems to say that the first few weeks are quite a difficult adjustment but which has a pay off in the long term.

i am excited for you!! my son has ci and i am amazed on what it does for him.... the best decision we made for him :)

samantha kennel said:
i am excited for you!! my son has ci and i am amazed on what it does for him.... the best decision we made for him :)

Couldn't agree with you more!. Our daughter is surprising us every day.

R2D2 said:
Just wanted wish Stacieleigh all the best with her hook up on Weds! You'll let us know all the details won't you? Now you do know that it's not going to sound the best for a while don't you? My audie has told me that it will sound terrible to begin with, but that it will improve as the brain adjusts to the new medium of sound.

I won't be too far behind you - Thursday next week!

Thanks! I'm already nervous as to how everything will sound tomorrow, my audi talked with me about what to expect and how things will not sound the same and robot quality speech at first. It does bother me a little about not sounding the same, but I am so excited to have the opportunity to understand speech to join my friends in convo and jokes without "what we talking about?" and "what's so funny? I want to know!" lol
There's so much stuff I want to listen to and I can't wait.
Good luck next week on yours!

sr171soars said:

I'm trying my best to imagine being overwhelmed at all the sounds, I can't lol
I've been trying to imagine every possible ways to what it may sound like and no clue at all. I'll find out tomorrow!
So far I like my audie, he's seems so straightforward, how I like 'em. I'm sure he won't go "gasp" lol, but i know my hun's mom will lol.
I'll post the updates when I can, depends on how busy I'll be asking everyone "what's that?"
Thanks everyone for support!
Stacie

sr171soars said:

Actually, my audi is quite used to the "tears of joy" syndrome and mistakenly thought that is what I was doing. She actually said to me that it was "alright" to cry and I croaked and said that wasn't why but because how blinkin' loud it was. But you are correct, most people probably react that way. I never wavered in my thinking that I would hear and therefore didn't have a "romantic" view about it... :whistle:

Oh I totally agree.. the first couple days are TOTALLY overwhelming! I had the same reaction, for the same reason. Bloody loud! In fact, when we got back to the hotel later that evening, I took the CI off, laid down on the bed, and wallowed in depression for a couple hours until it was time for us to go to the restaurant to eat. I knew I'd have to put the CI back on and dreaded doing it. Not that I didn't like it, just that I didn't know how to handle all the noise. Also was becoming moody and annoyed with my hubby and in-laws, because every five seconds they would ask delightedly "DID YOU HEAR THAT??" Well, which one out of the GAZILLION sounds are you referring to? I wanted to say :mad: I finally had to plead with them to PLEASE stop asking that question, and let me "discover" things on my own.

You also might be surprised to find out that on your first few days, you won't be able to hear things that you know are supposed to make sounds. For me, the first couple of days I was unable to hear footsteps, car horns, doorbells.

So, CI newbies, don't be surprised to feel like you're on an emotional roller coaster for the first couple of days-- but the truth is, it will get better and keep on getting better from there! :)

Superfroggy said:
Oh I totally agree.. the first couple days are TOTALLY overwhelming! I had the same reaction, for the same reason. Bloody loud! In fact, when we got back to the hotel later that evening, I took the CI off, laid down on the bed, and wallowed in depression for a couple hours until it was time for us to go to the restaurant to eat. I knew I'd have to put the CI back on and dreaded doing it. Not that I didn't like it, just that I didn't know how to handle all the noise. Also was becoming moody and annoyed with my hubby and in-laws, because every five seconds they would ask delightedly "DID YOU HEAR THAT??" Well, which one out of the GAZILLION sounds are you referring to? I wanted to say :mad: I finally had to plead with them to PLEASE stop asking that question, and let me "discover" things on my own.

You also might be surprised to find out that on your first few days, you won't be able to hear things that you know are supposed to make sounds. For me, the first couple of days I was unable to hear footsteps, car horns, doorbells.

So, CI newbies, don't be surprised to feel like you're on an emotional roller coaster for the first couple of days-- but the truth is, it will get better and keep on getting better from there! :)

That's a great, down to earth summary of the first few days! I've been very busy telling all my friends and family that it will take me some time to get used to the sounds and that it will probably sound terrible at first. So fortunately they do understand and are not expecting you to instantly hear from the word "go".

I'm also going to meet up with a friend who is also an implantee this week and she is going to tell me all about her experience of switch on last year. she said in the first 2 weeks she was so depressed and thought she had made a mistake but now she could never go back to hearing aids. She is so happy with what she hears compared to what she had before CI. She has been very insistent on us meeting up and talking it through because she remembered how hard it was for her.

Back