CI soon...CI friendly only please

neecy said:
I think this is a gross assumption. You do NOT need sign language to make it in the world. I didn't learn until I was 21, and was able to understand my teachers, and go to meetings etc by lipreading alone.

Why in the WORLD would somebody who does'nt want to learn sign language be considered to not accept their deafness?????? Sign is not a requirement for acceptace of a disability, you know. She said she had no interest - thats her choice. Socialization with the deaf world also isn't a requirement to be happy.

Attitudes like this annoy me.

I agree with your sentiments here...but I was waiting to see if Stacie was going to reply before saying anything about it myself. ;)

coloravalanche said:
Are you in high school? or in college? just wondering...how do you understand teacher at school or meeting or workshop without interpreter?

There is nothing wrong with sign language...sounds like to me that you are ashamed and wont accept your deafness fully...how do you socialize with deafies? I promise you once you get older...you will lose your hearings for good and you will regret for not learning sign language long time ago...

Hi, I finished high school long time ago and even went to college. I always sat in the front of class so I can read lips, even in college. I have accept my deafness, it's who I am, and I do love who I am. I don't socialize with other deafie because I don't know any. There are no deaf community anywhere near me. I relied on lip-reading, have been ever since I was a child. I have the friends that care for me to look at me and my family. That's all that matter to me, and I still don't regret never learning ASL, there are those who needs them, I'm all for it for them. But please don't look at someone who doesn't know ASL not accepting their deafness. We all have different ways of communicating and I have mine and very happy with it. Thanks

R2D2 said:
Mine will be on 29th June - we're quite close together aren't we? I've been told that the first activation will take 2 hours, which reminds me I had better make some babysitting arrangements!

Very close together, very glad I'll have someone to share and compare with at the same time lol. Hope you find a great babysitter!

sr171soars said:
I agree with your sentiments here...but I was waiting to see if Stacie was going to reply before saying anything about it myself. ;)

I agree with you and neecy, so please go ahead and say something lol. I've posted my answer to that question and hopefully this person would understand what I was saying.
Stacie

neecy said:
Why in the WORLD would somebody who does'nt want to learn sign language be considered to not accept their deafness?????? Sign is not a requirement for acceptace of a disability, you know. She said she had no interest - thats her choice. Socialization with the deaf world also isn't a requirement to be happy.

Thank you for that.
Stacie

coloravalanche said:

There is nothing wrong with sign language...sounds like to me that you are ashamed and wont accept your deafness fully...how do you socialize with deafies? I promise you once you get older...you will lose your hearings for good and you will regret for not learning sign language long time ago...

Stacie gave her reasons and Neecy gave her two cents. There isn't much I can say to improve upon their remarks of which I agree with anyway.

I will say one thing...how one identifies themself in this world is a person's own business. Most people prefer to "belong" to some group of one sort or another. Some of us HOH types just prefer the hearing world. When you can make it work for yourself and find a niche...then what is the problem? There isn't any right or wrong way in this respect.

What puzzles me is that you had the impertinence to accuse Stacie of not accepting her deafness. She knows it and found a way to cope in the world. That is an admirable quality in a world full of people who can't contend with simpler issues. An even worst thing in my mind, is that you implied that she had to be a part of the deaf community. No she doesn't. The deaf community doesn't own anybody. It is up to individuals to decide for themselves what they will be and who they will associate with. Putting yourself in the position of judging her really puts the whole thing on its head. Who are you to judge? It is just better to accept people for who they are and find common ground instead. Try it, you might be pleasantly surprised...

That's a nice, gracious response Stacie. :) The very fact that you are here posting on Alldeaf.com of your own free will hardly shows a person who is denying their deafness!

R2D2 said:
That's a nice, gracious response Stacie. :) The very fact that you are here posting on Alldeaf.com of your own free will hardly shows a person who is denying their deafness!

Thank you, it's the first time I've ever been accused of not accepting my deafness. Always a "first" something lol.

sr171soars said:
I chime in with my two cents here...

As for losing our hearing (if using a CI like I do or Stacie will do soon), that is bunkem. A CI bypasses the cochlear hairs and goes straight to the cochlear nerve and it will be good as long as we live (in fact hearing is the last thing to go when one is dying). So, this is not an issue.

Yes and if we happen to go blind when we are old (which happens to many people) at least we will have the CI hearing to get us by.

Actually I was thinking more about that this week. I am glad in a way that I am getting my CI while I am still young and still fit and adaptable to change. It must be quite hard to lose your residual hearing when old and then have to go through surgery at that age.

Stacie,

It's Monday over here in Australia already - I just wanted to wish you good luck for your surgery on Weds!! How are you feeling???

R2D2 said:
Stacie,

It's Monday over here in Australia already - I just wanted to wish you good luck for your surgery on Weds!! How are you feeling???

Thanks! Monday here too, lol. I'm nervous even more lol. Each day it gets closer, the more nervous I get and even more excited. I'm trying to get all my house cleaning done today so I don't have to worry about it when I come home from the surgery.
Right now, my Yorkie is napping on my lap, soon as I get back up, he's going to follow me all over the house waiting for me to sit back down lol.
Time to sweep n mop, I'll be back on here to update it all. Thanks again....
Stacie

Updates.....

Hey all, just sittin here in the dark and just wanted to let you all know what's happening. The surgery went great! What the doc told my family while I was still out of it, lol. I remeber waking up a few times in recovery room, crying. Ouchie Pain! They were very nice to keep giving me pain shot. My neck was killing me, guess from how that had me laying for the last four hours. Never had pain in that ear before, but ouch! It hurts. I knew I would be hurting pretty much after surgery, since I've already had 2 other different surgery.
But I'm proud to say that I'm not dizzy! My balance has been fine. It's the pain that gets to me, I'm a big baby lol. I found a great way on getting up from the recliner, I support my head with my hand and then lift myself up. Works great. I still have my funny looking dressing on and I want it off so bad. The doc told my hun to keep it on for 5 days but nurse told us later we could take it off between 24 to 48 hours. Hun rather listen to doc, but I rather listen to nurse, lol. It's so hard to sleep in. And my ear itches , wanna scrath it! I ate my mashed potatoes n gravy from KFC, worst thing ever. I got the funny metal taste in my mouth, hopefully that will go away soon. My ear feel so sore and I can feel the incision, that hurts. Everyone around me keeps telling me it'll get better each day, they right about that. Doesn't hurt as much as it did yersterday, but sometime it feels like it, so I take the percocet they rx for me. I just gotta take it easy for awhile. My parents have been staying with me and they have been spoiling me rotten, lol. Love em to death, but be happy when they go out for drives, I get a little quiet time that I love, parents over-do everytime I feel bad, lol. Love them for it.
Any suggestions on how to releive the neck pain on the implant side?
It hasn't been fun, and still not fun, well maybe a little, lol. I did laughed my ass off on how funny I look with this head wrapping thing lol.
So should I go ahead and take the dressing off? or should I wait for the actual 5 days the doc said? I dunno. Time for another percocet and try to fall asleep again, which I was, but kept dreaming about drinking a huge glass of cold milk, so yeah, I had to get that milk. Nice and cold, lol
Night night all!
Stacie

Welcome back Stacie! Glad the surgery went well but sorry to hear that it's painful at the moment. Hopefully this will improve over the next few days. Good to hear that dizziness hasn't been a problem so far.

With the dressing I only have to keep mine on overnight and after that they will keep strips over it. 5 days does seem a long time.

I have the in laws coming down when I have my surgery but fortunately MIL is a good cook! Now all I need to do is find a recliner.... Some good advice in your post by the way - I will make a note.

Good to have you back - now activation is the next step!

Glad to hear that you came through okay. Just take it easy. After about a week or so, you will start going stir crazy and want to take on the world! :D

I hope your pain subsides soon. I didn't have much pain at all but I did have to be careful turning on a dime too quickly. Yea, I know what you mean by the bandages. I looked at myself at the hospital and I couldn't believe how big this thing was. Don't take it off. Wait for the doc to do that...they really want to make sure it heals. This is the critical time frame and you don't want any trouble with healing...not worth it. As for itching (looking around both ways...shhhh!), I itched too but I took a comb with a pointed handle and itched it very gently and away from the incision. Your metallic taste in your mouth will take some months to go away. Neecy said it took her nine months and for me it took about eleven months.

Take care!

Subscribed to this thread.

We're happy for your successful implantation! My friends say you will feel better in a week.

We're praying for a flawless recovery!

neecy said:
I think this is a gross assumption. You do NOT need sign language to make it in the world. I didn't learn until I was 21, and was able to understand my teachers, and go to meetings etc by lipreading alone.

Attitudes like this annoy me.

What about your attitude? If you think you don't need to sign, What if, down the road from now, You meet someone who is deaf, doesn't know how to read lips, or use any spoken language just sign language, My question is how would you be able to communicate with this one person? Would you be a stuck-up, turn your cheek and walk away, or would you sit down and have a conversation? and how would you do that?

Cheri said:
What about your attitude? If you think you don't need to sign, What if, down the road from now, You meet someone who is deaf, doesn't know how to read lips, or use any spoken language just sign language, My question is how would you be able to communicate with this one person? Would you be a stuck-up, turn your cheek and walk away, or would you sit down and have a conversation? and how would you do that?

Pen and paper would work in that case. Its the same as if I met somebody who only spoke German or Japanese. Just because "one day down the road" I might bump into somebody who only knows those languages should I be expected to learn them? Being deaf doesn't mean somebody HAS to learn sign language to be a success in the world- that's my point. If they don't want to learn sign language because they have no immediate need for it (if all their family is hearing, they lipread, go to a mainstream school etc) then they shouldn't have to be forced to learn sign. I've met many deaf people who don't know sign by choice.

:cheers:

Congrats on getting through your surgery, Stacie! You'll start to feeling better day by day. It's weird that your doc wanted you to keep the head wrap on for 5 days... myself and most other CI users I know only had to have it on for 24 hours, or just overnight. But I guess if your doc advises you to keep it on, then follow his advice. Doc knows best, I guess.

I didn't have much pain after my surgery. They sure did give me plenty of morphine.. I was "flying high" and ridiculously giddy... but VERY dizzy! My friend nicknamed me "skating girl" after she saw me sliding my feet to walk instead of picking them up.. it really felt like if I were to pick my feet up, I'd end up on my head from the dizziness. That went away very gradually, a couple of months. I also had the metallic taste too.. It went away in two weeks, but I see from everyone's posts that this varies quite a bit. Doesn't it make food taste weird!!

I think the hardest thing for me post-op was not being able to wash my hair for three days. I like to wash my hair daily because it is quite long and not being able to, with all that icky gunk stuck in it, smelling of iodine was really itchy and annoying.

What a great family you have to come over and stay with you to help you out. That's so nice! Relax, enjoy being "babied" while you can, watch a bunch of movies, etc... sometimes it is really a trip to watch movies while high on pain meds, LOL! I remember I watched "Lord of the Rings", completely zonked on Percocet. Eyes buggin', glued to the screen... trippin! :scatter:

Superfroggy said:
:cheers:

What a great family you have to come over and stay with you to help you out. That's so nice! Relax, enjoy being "babied" while you can, watch a bunch of movies, etc... sometimes it is really a trip to watch movies while high on pain meds, LOL! I remember I watched "Lord of the Rings", completely zonked on Percocet. Eyes buggin', glued to the screen... trippin! :scatter:

That had me cracking up lmao
thanks!

Thanks all

Thanks all so much! I had my mom take the "head gear" off since I peeked under there and saw another dressing. I'm keeping that thin strip on, but let me tell you......I feel free! lol
The pain is actually getting less, i noticed top of my ear is numb, lol. Forgot all about that happening, lol.
I don't see the doc for 3 weeks, so that's too long for me to keep the head bandage on lol. I'm dying to see what it looks like, but I'll wait by day 5 to take that part off.
Thanks all for a speedy recovery wish, which I am determined to have....and will have lol.
I'll be back later with more progress..........
Stacie

Back