CI soon...CI friendly only please

Thanks all for the fast responses! I think I may leave the TV/Hi fi cable since I am getting the personal audio cable anyway since I have an ipod. I don't watch TV all that much except for the news (Australian TV is terrible).

R2D2 said:
Thanks all for the fast responses! I think I may leave the TV/Hi fi cable since I am getting the personal audio cable anyway since I have an ipod. I don't watch TV all that much except for the news (Australian TV is terrible).
So I guess you have iTunes? you can browse audiobooks via their music store...
http://www.apple.com/itunes/audiobooks/

I have gotten some for free from there. Every Tuesday, they have freebies. (music and books) later in the weeks, new freebie video are released.

just thought to let you know, and if you knew already then it is never mind heh.

Boult said:
So I guess you have iTunes? you can browse audiobooks via their music store...
http://www.apple.com/itunes/audiobooks/

I have gotten some for free from there. Every Tuesday, they have freebies. (music and books) later in the weeks, new freebie video are released.

just thought to let you know, and if you knew already then it is never mind heh.

Cool, no I didn't know so that is a very handy link - thanks. I really love reading books so I imagine I'm going to have some fun together with audio books. I have already started listening to my daughter's audio books, but would prefer to do it with my ipod rather than sitting in front of the hi fi which is what I'm doing at the moment.

R2D2 said:
Cool, no I didn't know so that is a very handy link - thanks. I really love reading books so I imagine I'm going to have some fun together with audio books. I have already started listening to my daughter's audio books, but would prefer to do it with my ipod rather than sitting in front of the hi fi which is what I'm doing at the moment.

:D glad to let you know :D

oh by the way, they do have iTunes store for Aussie :)

Fragmenter said:
Boult, you got an iPod yourself?

Is it easy to hook one up to the processor?
no but it is on my wish list or to buy list. but I do have CD and tape player that I can jack into either my BTE or BWP. Yeah it is easy, I just swap my T-Mic earhook to Auria Direct Connect earhook (http://bionicear.com/products/auria_earhooks.asp) but most of time I don't find it necessary. So I just use headphone directly over my T-mic and wear it normally. It's cool. no need to find sweet spot like I would have to do with my HA with headphone.

I can use the earbud from iPod and put it in my ear cuz it is close to T-mic. I tested that on my brother's ipod. it's cool.

Fragmenter said:
Boult, you got an iPod yourself?

Is it easy to hook one up to the processor?

Hey, Fragmenter
I find it pretty easy, I love it, you can still listen around you while you listen to iPod, or you can just turn down the background sound and just focus on that. Pretty cool gadget lol

I had the second map today and as I suspected the cps speed of the old map was set at 2400 herz! A cochlear rep was at my mapping today and she suggested we turned it down to 1800 herz, which I was very happy to do.
We also did a sweep of the electrodes, making them both louder and softer.

I seem to be able to understand voices a lot better and they sound a bit more natural. I could hear the Cochlear rep's Australian accent. Also the friend who was baby sitting my daughter commented when I got back that I was not speaking as loudly as before. Environmental noises at a distance are still pretty much the same - I can hear some sounds (a workman banging on something across the street, helicopters and planes) but not others (cars driving past me).

The audie added some new programs - one for quiet situations P1 and one for noisy situations P2. She also added the telecoil function so I will phone up the speaking clock soon.

They also sent me home with some word exercises to practice with my husband. I did a few of them in the office and they seem pretty easy.

The next mapping will be in 2 weeks time 20th July. I will be having them every 2 weeks from now on for the next few months.

Ah, our conversations on CPS was very practical in this case! I'm glad you could go to your audi fully armed with information. :D

Yea, I think you will like 1800 (neecy and I use that) a whole lot better than 2400 and you get the added bonus of longer battery life (about three days).

Great update!

Keep on trucking!!!

BTW - Did they give you the names of the programs they remapped you with?

R2D2 said:
The audie added some new programs - one for quiet situations P1 and one for noisy situations P2. She also added the telecoil function so I will phone up the speaking clock soon.

Sounds good. And it gets better as they add the noise suppression. :)

Is the P1 autosensitvity and p2 adro? (or something like that)

WOW, excellent. HAppy that your second mapping went so well. Amazing isn't what software can do.

I was amazed every time with my daughters mapping. And imagine.. she can hardly give any feedback. But the improvements were there every time.

Like said before, CI is 5% hard and software. The rest is up to you....
Doing great.

I use the personal audio cable with my I-river almost every day. I LOVE having the music back after so many years, and rediscoering new music/songs.

So glad to hear the mapping is going well, R2!!!

Jag - they can put any program they want on the different slots (P1 P2 P3 P4) depending on what's most convenient. I have Adro on P1, Autosensitivity on P2, Beam on P3 and nothing on P4.

neecy said:
Jag - they can put any program they want on the different slots (P1 P2 P3 P4) depending on what's most convenient. I have Adro on P1, Autosensitivity on P2, Beam on P3 and nothing on P4.

Since slot P4 is empty, er...why not try whisper in it? It is great for classes, meetings and other things that require a boost in softer sounds. :D

sr171soars said:
Since slot P4 is empty, er...why not try whisper in it? It is great for classes, meetings and other things that require a boost in softer sounds. :D

That's what I plan to do - its just that when I made my decisions, I hadn't used whisper at all so I told my audie to leave it out. Now that I'm in college I'm going to have him add it back as it might help in the classroom - though with ADRO I'm picking up 95% of what's being said by my instructors :)

jag said:
Sounds good. And it gets better as they add the noise suppression. :)

Is the P1 autosensitvity and p2 adro? (or something like that)

I'm curious -- what is adro?

greema said:
I'm curious -- what is adro?

It is probably one of the more popular settings with the Freedom. I love it and use it some 95% of the time. It is a program to interpret sounds in a certain way based on the mappings.

Ummm.....how to explain what it does? It is like a very sophisicated synthesizer where it adjusts to the surrounding sounds. Here is a link that explains it better... ADRO Link

sr171soars said:
It is probably one of the more popular settings with the Freedom. I love it and use it some 95% of the time. It is a program to interpret sounds in a certain way based on the mappings.

Ummm.....how to explain what it does? It is like a very sophisicated synthesizer where it adjusts to the surrounding sounds. Here is a link that explains it better... ADRO Link

Thanks, Soars -- I think I get it. And you do have Freedom?

Say, I've been curious about your sig (trailing clouds of glory) -- is it quoted from somewhere?

greema said:
Thanks, Soars -- I think I get it. And you do have Freedom?

Say, I've been curious about your sig (trailing clouds of glory) -- is it quoted from somewhere?

Yep, I have the Freedom. I was in a study to help Cochlear get FDA approval for it in the US. I absolutely love it.

As for the sig....

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!

(Wordsworth, 'Intimations of Immortality, 58-66)

As you can see I tweaked it just a little... :whistle:

sr171soars said:
BTW - Did they give you the names of the programs they remapped you with?

I had to have a think about this and I experimented with both programs!

P1 I think is Adro - my own and other's voices are louder than background sounds, many of which are still too soft for me to perceive such as the sound of cars passing by and the sound of background chatter when walking around in a shopping centre.

P2 I think is autosensitivity - I did some vacuuming this morning and tried it on both programs and on P2 it lowered the sound of the vacuum quite significantly compared to on P1.

Have I got this right?

R2D2 said:
I had to have a think about this and I experimented with both programs!

P1 I think is Adro - my own and other's voices are louder than background sounds, many of which are still too soft for me to perceive such as the sound of cars passing by and the sound of background chatter when walking around in a shopping centre.

P2 I think is autosensitivity - I did some vacuuming this morning and tried it on both programs and on P2 it lowered the sound of the vacuum quite significantly compared to on P1.

Have I got this right?

I think you got it right. Although there is a possibility that P1 is not ADRO but Squelch. What confuses me is your description about cars (and trucks) being too soft for you. Believe me, that was the first really "too loud" sound I heard when leaving the center after my hookup. I thought my brain was going to implode! It was just sooooo loud and I couldn't believe that hearing people dealt with it all their lives. Even now being quite used to all kinds of sounds and using ADRO (which for me is 95% plus of the time), cars and trucks are still loud to me but no longer unbearable (except the worst of bus and trucks). In the worst of cases of buses and trucks you will see me thinking to use one of these on them... :rl: :D

Back