CI Ringing?

Shoshana

Reaction score
So most of you know Im against my implant and would like to have it taken out.

I do not use it.

For past weeks though, it has been ringing. Is this normal to ring without even having the external piece on?

It is bothering me.

Is it possible to have the Dr. shut down the internal peice?

thank you!

what if it were tinnius? I hate that when i heard the ringing in my ear once in a while.

Hi shoshana.
The internal piece is "shut down" when you don't have the battery-powered processor transmitting to it via the coil, there's not an internal power source.

Maybe as frisky suggested, it's tinnitus? Or phantom sounds from memory? Didn't you recently remap and get access to a whole lot of sound--maybe that's triggered new memories that your brain is cycling through? Not long ago my daughter turned to me, startled, and said she could hear the phone ringing (it wasn't) but wasn't wearing her CIs at the time. It stopped after a moment, but was really strange. Not sure what that was, either.

How it is possible for the "internal processor" to work without the external"imputing "sound"?
It don't think it is possible. Every time I disconnect the external just revert to being bilateral DEAF-absolute silence.

I don't think my situation is unusual.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Grendel--

I have always had tinnitus but dont remember having it in my implanted ear after the operation...?

Before I couldnt tell which side it was coming from (I get in both ears) but its been clearly coming from my implanted side lately.

In addition to just "ringing" Its also other stuff like, This morning I was hearing the programing "beeps" and the other day it was kinda like parakeets (little birds) chattering.

Grendel, What you say makes sence...I think lol. I didnt become profoundly Deaf until 9th grade so I heard a lot of diffrent stuff before. "phantom sounds" as you say, seem like an interesting concept...why does it happen?

When I went a year without wearing my hearing aids. My ears started ringing and when I wore HA's again, the ringing went away..

I think it's cause you aren't using your CI and now your brain is starved for stimuli so therefore it's ringing.

What has your ENT doctor said about your trouble?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I have a CI... this happens if I don't wear my CI for an extended period of time. Just the horrible tinnitus rearing it's ugly head

It was explained to me once... the Cochlea is a very complex organ. it actually generates counter sounds to cancel out sounds that spill over to other frequencies. For example, you press middle C on a piano. It makes a pure tone sound. The Cochlea picks up the vibrations and attempt to transmit a Fuzzy middle C sound. The nerves directly adjacent to the spot that Middle C hits also fire off to cancel out the signal from going beyond middle C so the brain gets the pure tone. Exactly how this works I am not sure. But in the absence of all sound, this cancellation continues to try to do it's work and after a while the brain starts to say... hey maybe this is not all silence and starts to interpret the "silence" as actual sound. so, in a sense you really are hearing things, but it's just your brain's interpretation of silence.

Maybe I am way off, maybe the person fed me a line of bull. But it's the explanation that has made the most sense to me so far.

I think you are far more spot on than you realize. Simply put, tinnitus is the brain's way of compensating for sounds it doesnt hear. Even hearing people experience the same. You've read about how someone (hearing or not) standing next to a gun that went off gets tinnitus? Because their brain heard that explosive sound and then now doesn't hear it anymore. When I play too much music, and then stop, my ears start ringing. I've had to learn to do things in moderation. And, stress is a factor.

Back