Ci Rehab

Those who are hearing before, late deafened, we can process it better and faster that those born deaf because we can connect it to something we have heard before. Besides, it depends on the individuals brain to process and learn as well....

Those who are hearing before, late deafened, we can process it better and faster that those born deaf because we can connect it to something we have heard before. Besides, it depends on the individuals brain to process and learn as well....

Yes I've explained this to people on Facebook in comments sections. if someone has never heard English, or whatever language, is not going to understand it just because they're hearing it. I'll ask them, you can hear someone speaking Russian right? But that doesn't mean you understand it. It's the same thing.

I didn't have to do rehab did you Sono? Maybe they figure out if you're going need after you're initial activation? Whether you're able to understand anything at all at first? Maybe? I tried the angel sounds app maybe a week after activation but it was too easy I was just okay never mind that.

For the fist two weeks or so I heard what sounded like a sonar, echoing pinging. I think it was what I heard until my brain recognized what the sound was and sorted it out. Like okay that was a dog barking so I started to hear actual barking instead of the pinging?

Brains are amazing

Yes I've explained this to people on Facebook in comments sections. if someone has never heard English, or whatever language, is not going to understand it just because they're hearing it. I'll ask them, you can hear someone speaking Russian right? But that doesn't mean you understand it. It's the same thing.

I didn't have to do rehab did you Sono? Maybe they figure out if you're going need after you're initial activation? Whether you're able to understand anything at all at first? Maybe? I tried the angel sounds app maybe a week after activation but it was too easy I was just okay never mind that.
Nope, I was listening to music and watching tv practically 24/7, it all caught on quick. I could understand my audi after about 20 minutes of activation. BUT sounds I never heard before scared the shit outta me, Thought it was the nice quiet country... Nope, damn birds, squirrels, rustling dry leaves, I thought the boogie man was coming out of the woods to get me.

For the fist two weeks or so I heard what sounded like a sonar, echoing pinging. I think it was what I heard until my brain recognized what the sound was and sorted it out. Like okay that was a dog barking so I started to hear actual barking instead of the pinging?

Brains are amazing
When you would sing after activation, it sounded so cool... music without effect pedals...lmao
Sounded like 3 voices at different pitches in harmony

I didn't require any rehab either but was only deaf for a little over a year before I received my first CI. Second CI was four years later and that one is going well too.

Hahahaha

I could understand right away but I felt like there was a second delay between when I heard and when I understood it. I worked the next day and could understand my clients and coworkers as long as I could see their face. So I was doing some lip reading but it wasn't a struggle. After maybe 2-3 days my family's voices sounded exactly like remembered. I'd been afraid it'd take me longer since I'd been without any speech for so long. But it was Aokay. I remember maybe 4 months later I was in the bathroom peeing and heard my mom talking to my daughter and I understood her!! I was damn excited!!! Through a closed door and I understood her :D

Last edited:
I didn't require any rehab either but was only deaf for a little over a year before I received my first CI. Second CI was four years later and that one is going well too.
I was deaf for 6 years actually a little longer but could still hear a little if was loud, had first 12/2014 and second 03/2015 the second still isnt 100% because the first is being domanant... but like now the first battery is dead and so I let the second work alone until the battery dies.

Hahahaha

I could understand right away but I felt like there was a second delay between when I heard and when I understood it. I worked the next day and could understand my clients and coworkers as long as I could see their face. So I was doing some lip reading but it wasn't a struggle. After maybe 2-3 days my family's voices sounded exactly like remembered. I'd been afraid it'd take me longer since I'd been without any speech for so long. But it a okay. I remember maybe 4 months later I was in the bathroom peeing and heard my mom talking to my daughter and I understood her!! I was damn excited!!! Through a closed door and I understood her :D
I was in my new audis office (actually she did my activation at the original office) but I went to her own office at another hospital. I kept hearing a drip in the waiting room and couldnt figure it out. So I asked and she explained there was a leak upstairs in a bathroom ( now this is a hospital with thick concrete floors ) immagine that.

Im glad, its an amazing world to listen to, I hate some sounds but hats part of the gift.

There is a BBC show (hour long)called Life and Deaf... really interesting. Follows four Deaf UK friends. One of them got a CI and showed a little bit of the prep for surgery and her first mapping- she had an interesting view of it. All four friends grew up signing and I THINK the mother of the woman who got the CI was Deaf herself-- and was against the CI...

Unfortunately they didn't bother to caption ALL of it- they didn't caption any of the hearing people's voices (notably in the CI office) only the transcript for the Deaf.

had to do some rehab with the left ear (dead ear for about 25 years), that took some time. Took a couple of weeks for the auditory nerves to wake up and some time for my brain to even make sense of anything. Things were much quicker with the right (heard stuff right off the bat at activation, but took a few days for sounds to sound "normal", etc.). Very different for each ear.

Of course, my hearing isn't perfect, but better than a single hearing aid. I'm happy!

I was without hearing for about two years, so I had no trouble understanding speech when I was activated. (Thank goodness!) I am eight months on the left and two months since activation on the right. Both are still mproving. I am a former professional musician and sadly very little ability to hear music thus far, but it's great to be able to converse again. My first scare was flushing the toilet in a small bath room at the audiologist's office. I thought the building was coming down. Since I once had good hearing the background sounds within reason have been welcome.

Back