CI progress and starting school for parents of DHH kids

You certainly seem to be.

I think the problem most people are having with this; including me here, is that you seem to want to interject your own experiences/opinions into the lives of others. You seem to feel that if it happened to YOU, it WILL happen to others, and DD, that is simply not true!

Look, on the issue of CI. I'm hearing. Most people on here know this by now, so I certainly am NOT qualifed to tell a parent what they should or should NOT due in regards to implanting their child. The point I'm making here, is YOU'RE not qualifed either. The difference is, you come off sounding like YOU ARE trying to scare people off the CI. And, why? Because of some supposed "hype"? What hype, DD?

You don't seem to be very well informed about the process of determining candidacy. You go by what you've read, but DD, that's NOT the same thing as going through the prrocess firsthand. I've never been a candidate, either, and I'm also going by what I've read. I've read the people HERE, though. From what they've said, the "hype" you speak of just doesn't exist. Sure, the technology is there. But, from what I know, the parent of a deaf child is ENCOURAGED to try HAs first to see what benefit, if any, they get from them. Then, if the child gets NO benefit, the CI is discussed further. That doesn't sound like hype, DD. That sounds like being informed of options, and dealing with the CI in a responsible manner. No parent, I repeat, NO parent is going to put their child through a surgery unless it's absolutely necessary. I don't care WHO they are!

I also don't buy your statement that they are implanting people who are functionally HoH. That makes no sense to me. Why would they do that if the person benefits from HAs? This sounds like you've talked to a few people who have gross misconceptions about the CI themselves, and you're basing your opinions on what you've heard.

In fact, everything is you've stated is based on conjecture or your own crappy experience in school. DD, hate to tell you... That's life, kiddo. I didn't haven't a good school experience, either. In fact,my experiences in school sucked. But, I don't allow my own experiences color my advice to other parents. It's NOT up to me or you to tell these parents what they should do. It's up them to decide what is best for their child. It's their child. If a parent wants to implant their child, good for them! I really love how Lily'sDad is raising his little girl. But, even if a parent chooses to go the oral route completely that does NOT mean the child is going to suffer for it. They may not.

This is my point to what you try to say. You make everything sound so absolute. "The dhh is going to have such a hard time unless they are tought to sign." What if the child doesn't have a hard time, DD? WHAT IF?

Excellent post, Oceanbreeze! :) As an adult who went through the CI evaluation process twice, I can tell you that surgeons and audis do not automatically implant those who are functionally HoH (as you stated). In fact, in my case, even though I was considered to be an excellent candidate for a CI as having bilateral severe-profound hearing loss, I required additional testing (an ABR) to rule out auditory neuropathy (given my premature birth history) as well as to find out why I experienced a continual drop in hearing during the 3 months prior to my first CI evaluation. Additionally, as I went through each stage of the CI process, my surgeon and audi repeatedly reminded me about the risks and possible limitations of a CI (such as if it doesn't help me achieve high levels of speech discrimination) never pressuring me once to have the surgery. My hearing tests consisted of 2.5-3 hours of pure tone testing, single word testing, sentences in quiet, sentences in noise -- all of which were done with and without hearing aids. If truth be told, my first CI evaluation (as well as the bilateral evaluation) was the first time I received a fully comprehensive hearing test in my life. I thought I read somewhere that hospitals lose money on every CI surgery they perform, so it's not something they are willing to do if they don't have to.

Thanks for the update of your daughter. I love hearing abou the progress of others kids. When hearing abou tthe older ones (like yours) I get an idea of things to come. When reading about younger ones, I love reminiscing (sp) abou tall of the progress.
As far as the reading in kindergarten is concerned, when a kid enters kindergarten, they are expected to have the foundation or reading already in place. They should have a grasp of phonically sounding out words when reading.So it sounds like she is right on course.

You certainly seem to be.

I think the problem most people are having with this; including me here, is that you seem to want to interject your own experiences/opinions into the lives of others. You seem to feel that if it happened to YOU, it WILL happen to others, and DD, that is simply not true!

Look, on the issue of CI. I'm hearing. Most people on here know this by now, so I certainly am NOT qualifed to tell a parent what they should or should NOT due in regards to implanting their child. The point I'm making here, is YOU'RE not qualifed either. The difference is, you come off sounding like YOU ARE trying to scare people off the CI. And, why? Because of some supposed "hype"? What hype, DD?

You don't seem to be very well informed about the process of determining candidacy. You go by what you've read, but DD, that's NOT the same thing as going through the prrocess firsthand. I've never been a candidate, either, and I'm also going by what I've read. I've read the people HERE, though. From what they've said, the "hype" you speak of just doesn't exist. Sure, the technology is there. But, from what I know, the parent of a deaf child is ENCOURAGED to try HAs first to see what benefit, if any, they get from them. Then, if the child gets NO benefit, the CI is discussed further. That doesn't sound like hype, DD. That sounds like being informed of options, and dealing with the CI in a responsible manner. No parent, I repeat, NO parent is going to put their child through a surgery unless it's absolutely necessary. I don't care WHO they are!

I also don't buy your statement that they are implanting people who are functionally HoH. That makes no sense to me. Why would they do that if the person benefits from HAs? This sounds like you've talked to a few people who have gross misconceptions about the CI themselves, and you're basing your opinions on what you've heard.

In fact, everything is you've stated is based on conjecture or your own crappy experience in school. DD, hate to tell you... That's life, kiddo. I didn't haven't a good school experience, either. In fact,my experiences in school sucked. But, I don't allow my own experiences color my advice to other parents. It's NOT up to me or you to tell these parents what they should do. It's up them to decide what is best for their child. It's their child. If a parent wants to implant their child, good for them! I really love how Lily'sDad is raising his little girl. But, even if a parent chooses to go the oral route completely that does NOT mean the child is going to suffer for it. They may not.

This is my point to what you try to say. You make everything sound so absolute. "The dhh is going to have such a hard time unless they are tought to sign." What if the child doesn't have a hard time, DD? WHAT IF?

Best post of the week. All the interpreters (around 20 of them total) who knew me were surprised when my son received his CI. They were supportive of me and they had similar views that you have. DD's opinion is just that: an opinion. My wife and I's decision on implanting our son is our own opinion as well :)

BTW everyone Oceanbreeze is sadly no longer on AD. We certainly miss her support here.

:rolleyes: ... I've been to several forums and they're all the same. Some moderators are like those cops who flips their lights on just so they can bypass traffic and once they get beyond the traffic jam, they turn off their siren/lights and go about their merry way.

I had hoped AD wasn't like that but... yeah, unfortunately a few good AD members got banned just recently like Oceanbreeze & Levothian.

Just remember: keep banning and you run the risk of losing valuable members who makes this forum interesting ;) You gotta ignore friendships and treat everyone, including your personal friends, equally and without bias.

:rolleyes: ... I've been to several forums and they're all the same. Some moderators are like those cops who flips their lights on just so they can bypass traffic and once they get beyond the traffic jam, they turn off their siren/lights and go about their merry way.

I had hoped AD wasn't like that but... yeah, unfortunately a few good AD members got banned just recently like Oceanbreeze & Levothian.

Just remember: keep banning and you run the risk of losing valuable members who makes this forum interesting ;) You gotta ignore friendships and treat everyone, including your personal friends, equally and without bias.

*Sigh* Well, I certainly missed all that! The last I heard that OB was having a surgery and now this which why I asked thinking it was temporary.

Next time, I will check with the banned board before I make another faux pas like that again...

I have to agree...if you keep banning the fairly intelligent ones...who's left but the er...you know what I mean.

Maybe, I need to consider that old saying "Beam me up Scotty!!!"

*Sigh* and double *Sigh*...it has gotten too quiet in here.

Right the with ya. Im getting tired of all of these kid games. Lately, I have been considering going elsewhere. I have to deal with enough kids games at work. Policing a jr high school. Now when I am at home, I have to deal with the favorites game when I am trying to have grown up conversations.

After the whole police thread thing, I have coem to the saem conclusion. I am done with the more social aspects of this site except for the technical forums. I am currently waiting for a new site in which it si only technical stuff to come on line.

After the whole police thread thing, I have coem to the saem conclusion. I am done with the more social aspects of this site except for the technical forums. I am currently waiting for a new site in which it si only technical stuff to come on line.

That's how I have been here lately. I just mingle in the Videogames section other than here.

I know how you feel, but don't forget that new members will appreaciate your view on matters.

But I agree that the technical part is more interesting. Plus the experience of CI-users. They give me an insight into Lotte's world...

:gpost:
Guys, I agree with you! So right about Boult! I have been missing OB; she was supposed to have a medical procedure done but I really hope to see her back...
Kayla'smom -- good bit of news about Kayla
Also, I absolutely agree with Cloggy -- surely there will be more and more new members signing on wanting/needing to learn more about HA/CI -- they surely will benefit from everyones' input!
It's getting dull here too but at least there're no more cry-babies whining "they're destroying my thread" and such! That was a big turn-off and embarrassing -- sorry, just venting...
Anyways, I'll always keep checking in -- and a good weekend, all and remember Thanksgiving is coming up very soon with the holidays not too far behind...

Actually I'm quite pleased with the way this forum has grown and matured. I can remember when I first joined I was so discouraged by the negative posts from drive by posters that I almost left but S171soars sent me a PM that made me hang on a bit longer. And I'm glad I did! It was quite volatile for a while but lately it has become a much more positive, supportive place.

Frag, WHen I say I am waiting, for a new site, I mean that I am almost positive that a specific person is already developing the site. I am waiting for it to be completed.

I too agree that the CI section is good. But some of the gaems that are being played here a really turning me away. I will leave it at that.

Frag, WHen I say I am waiting, for a new site, I mean that I am almost positive that a specific person is already developing the site. I am waiting for it to be completed.

I too agree that the CI section is good. But some of the gaems that are being played here a really turning me away. I will leave it at that.
I also have a site that you could check out.. :)

Back