• No

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Castleman said:
just a waste of time talking about CI just let people have their own opinions about them.

I second that!... :thumb:

I have the CI. It's VERY hard to get used to in the beginning...so if this is something you're considering, you should be prepared to go the full nine yards with it...programming, speech therapy, auditory training. It's a lot of work...especially if you want to reap the full benefits of it. :)

I am here if anyone wants to talk about it.

Malfoyish

RedRum said:
The one thing most people seem to forget is that as "Parents" we make decisions for our children every day about schools they attend, what they eat, who they visit, medical decisions with dental or if they require to visit a doctor etc. With CI. its the same. Our decision influences our children!!! All the decisions we make are in the best interests of our children and our childrens future and you would not base these decisions on hearsay, you would learn the facts. There seems to be much anger and confusion in the deaf community re CI. Is it because they fear there children will be different from them? The age of the child should not be to young, I agree but leaving it until they are too old could also cause problems. A reasonable decision needs to be made and this is once again, up to the parents.

Parents always do what they think is best!!!

i disagree -- ive seen some parents make such BAD decisions on what to do with their child thinking its the "best" decision they have made :roll: its just flatly STUPID!!! i know a few ppl who have had CI done when they were still babies/toddlers and now their relationship with their parents are :thumbd: they dont have any respect for their folks, theyre angry at them for having them implanted while they were so young and they dont even wear their CIs anymore once they turned 18 -- so its $25k buckaroos down the drain -- all wasted for nothing really -- i would just wait and let the child make his/her informed decision after their own research and even asking other kids their age who already have CI and ask questions on their experiences and etc etc -- then if the kid is all for it then by all means i dont see anything wrong with having CI implanted as long as the child is INVOLVED in this big decision making process that CAN have a big impact on their lives!

Malfoyish said:
I have the CI. It's VERY hard to get used to in the beginning...so if this is something you're considering, you should be prepared to go the full nine yards with it...programming, speech therapy, auditory training. It's a lot of work...especially if you want to reap the full benefits of it. :)

I am here if anyone wants to talk about it.

Malfoyish
how long have u had CI?

Fly Free said:
i disagree -- ive seen some parents make such BAD decisions on what to do with their child thinking its the "best" decision they have made :roll: its just flatly STUPID!!! i know a few ppl who have had CI done when they were still babies/toddlers and now their relationship with their parents are :thumbd: they dont have any respect for their folks, theyre angry at them for having them implanted while they were so young and they dont even wear their CIs anymore once they turned 18 -- so its $25k buckaroos down the drain -- all wasted for nothing really -- i would just wait and let the child make his/her informed decision after their own research and even asking other kids their age who already have CI and ask questions on their experiences and etc etc -- then if the kid is all for it then by all means i dont see anything wrong with having CI implanted as long as the child is INVOLVED in this big decision making process that CAN have a big impact on their lives![/QUOTE

hey i agree with u FlY FREE!!!! i vote NO!

i dont TRUST this cuz of one of my friend's son had this n destory his brain n not work it right.. cuz of ruined nerves in brain... TOO LATE for him... right now he dont remmy where he go, his mom quitted her job n be with his son and take care of him.. it sooooo SAD!!! *sigh*

TweetyBird said:
i dont TRUST this cuz of one of my friend's son had this n destory his brain n not work it right.. cuz of ruined nerves in brain... TOO LATE for him... right now he dont remmy where he go, his mom quitted her job n be with his son and take care of him.. it sooooo SAD!!! *sigh*

What you just said is clearly misleading, there is a very tiny chance that you may get damaged nerve as a result of the implantation.

But never a serious brain damage has resulted. but it can cause a person to have a hard time making facial movements. To say that it destroyed a person's brain is too harsh and misleading. Facial paralisys is probably the term you were looking for.

Or was it auditory nerves?

Or did he have down syndrome?

Or was he autistic?

The problem here is, what you had to say is pretty insufficient that I cannot simply take your word for it. Of course, that's usually what happen with hearsay claims.

This just prove my point, using the hearsay tactic doesn't hold water because people tend to stretch the truth.

I'll rather hear it straight from the source, not a friend because it tend to get distorted as passed around.

Last edited:
Fly Free said:
i disagree -- ive seen some parents make such BAD decisions on what to do with their child thinking its the "best" decision they have made :roll: its just flatly STUPID!!! i know a few ppl who have had CI done when they were still babies/toddlers and now their relationship with their parents are :thumbd: they dont have any respect for their folks, theyre angry at them for having them implanted while they were so young and they dont even wear their CIs anymore once they turned 18 -- so its $25k buckaroos down the drain -- all wasted for nothing really -- i would just wait and let the child make his/her informed decision after their own research and even asking other kids their age who already have CI and ask questions on their experiences and etc etc -- then if the kid is all for it then by all means i dont see anything wrong with having CI implanted as long as the child is INVOLVED in this big decision making process that CAN have a big impact on their lives!

I second that FlyFree!... :thumb:

Fly Free said:
i know a few ppl who have had CI done when they were still babies/toddlers and now their relationship with their parents are :thumbd: they dont have any respect for their folks, theyre angry at them for having them implanted while they were so young and they dont even wear their CIs anymore once they turned 18!

Personally, I believe these situations where kids turn against their parents for implanting them are usually caused by who?

Deaf Militants.

They come and talk to these kids and teach them all sort of misinformation about cochlear implants and how it is bad for them.

It is possible that it is a fact because I have seen it with my own eyes. Cochlear implantees at my school were told nasty things by the Deaf people who opposed cochlear implants.

Pity that I had to witness these twisted events take place at my high school.

This is Why I said that the Child should be involved getting a CI... Here is one reason why This Teenager Girl who had it and is stating her complain..
When a deaf teenaged forum member posted about his negative experience with a cochlear implant, it sparked one of the most intensive discussions ever on cochlear implants on the forum:

"I am seventeen year old, profoundly deaf. I am from Ohio. My parents decided to get me cochlear implant when i was three year old. I have always hated it but acted like i love it because it made them happy and proud of me when they see me hear things and my speech was soo good for them. I hated it so much i tried to take it off when i was 11 year old. but i got caught at school. I was always forced to use my speech and hearing thearpy. It was a big waste of my time. Then my parents wanted me to get a new one because they had stopped making the old one. i was thirteen year old when i got a new one. i was afraid to say no to them.
When i turn sixteen, i totally refused to wear them. I had a fight with my family then finally i won. But still they refused to accept my decsion. Now i fully use sign language and learning to use ASL. I have seen so many young kids who got cochelar implant has been forced to use their voice. I have seen so many kids crying to me when they cant understand their parent because their parents refuse to learn to sign and dont want their child to sign. It really makes me so upset!

http://deafness.about.com/cs/cisethics/l/blcochteen.htm

*Bottom Line is That is WHY CHILDREN SHOULD BE INVOLVED IN ALL DECISIONS BEING MADE* Thank you!

Doctors in this case play God, well they are not God and just because they go to medical school does not mean they know everything or know what is best. They will tell you not to teach your child sign language because it is a crutch, well they are wrong..Teaching your child sign lang. will help them to communicate better without getting frustrated that they cannot speak or get their point across. These parents not only need to look up info on the Internet which will be almost all positive info but they need to speak with deaf people as well as learn deaf culture, what the deaf people have been through to get where they are today...If you are deaf you can go to school you can get a job you can achieve anything a hearing person can. Being deaf is not an embarrassment, and does not mean that you are not normal. It means you cherish life and instead of hearing with your ears you hear visually. and if they feel that CI is best for them when they grow up They have the right to make that Choice. I have nothing against CI I have something Against Parents who made their child/children the different way getting them CI when they don't know if that is what the child wants or not.

Cheri said:
Doctors in this case play God, well they are not God and just because they go to medical school does not mean they know everything or know what is best. They will tell you not to teach your child sign language because it is a crutch, well they are wrong..Teaching your child sign lang. will help them to communicate better without getting frustrated that they cannot speak or get their point across. These parents not only need to look up info on the Internet which will be almost all positive info but they need to speak with deaf people as well as learn deaf culture, what the deaf people have been through to get where they are today...If you are deaf you can go to school you can get a job you can achieve anything a hearing person can. Being deaf is not an embarrassment, and does not mean that you are not normal. It means you cherish life and instead of hearing with your ears you hear visually. and if they feel that CI is best for them when they grow up They have the right to make that Choice. I have nothing against CI I have something Against Parents who made their child/children the different way getting them CI when they don't know if that is what the child wants or not.
:jaw: U got GOOOOOD put in post!!!!!! :applause:

Banjo said:
Personally, I believe these situations where kids turn against their parents for implanting them are usually caused by who?

Deaf Militants.

They come and talk to these kids and teach them all sort of misinformation about cochlear implants and how it is bad for them.

It is possible that it is a fact because I have seen it with my own eyes. Cochlear implantees at my school were told nasty things by the Deaf people who opposed cochlear implants.

Pity that I had to witness these twisted events take place at my high school.
i have to agree with banjo here...

I believe that many deafies who're against CI make up stories why they're bad...

*Getting on the Cloud*

I have clearly voiced my opinion previously that I am not against anyone getting CI...and that it is a child's choice to have it or not along with the parents' support and guidance for the best interests and welfare for their child, yet...it IS the child that will have to live with whatever choice they do make...I do realize that children that are really too young to be able to make any kind of choices...it is best to wait until they are older to be able to comprehend what will happen or take place when they make a certain choice such as having a CI done...then again, there are parents that will make that choice for the child when the child is very young after going around getting information from doctors, internet sites, health books and magazines, health-related tv shows, etc...BUT, by listening to other Deaf individuals who have gotten CI's with their own experiences and feedback, etc...would ALSO help determine the outcome of whatever choice they do may make which can attribute significantly for the sake of knowing what is best and most helpful for a child trying to decide whether to have a CI or not...

For is it the 'parent' that will be wearing it...is it the doctors that will be wearing it...etc...and simply that answer is an astounding 'NO'....only the child or individual that does....

And speaking of Deaf Militants...DO NOT count me as one...even at my deaf school where I had attended did not teach me that CI's were bad...either did any of my deaf friends, they only told me what they have been through, some like it and some didn't, it's a two-sided issue...it's the child or individual that can make whatever assumptions and what research probed will decide what is best...

It's NOT the parents, doctors or other deaf individuals that is against CI to make the choice for the child...Its the CHILD ALONE that will make that choice!

*Getting off the Cloud*

Cheri said:
I think the Child should reach the age of 18 to decide if that what she/he wants...

I want you know that about the age does matter whenever the parents decide such as talk about it instead force. Most the health care don't approve or paid the cochlear implant who age 18 year old. Today I am 23 years old and I can't get cochlear implant because my ages. They will paid if I am 18 years old or younger. Some health insurance can paid 13 years old or younger.. some 5 years old or younger. It just stupid policy. Some parents are prefer hearing aids instead the cochlear implant but health care don't cover for hearing aids. It just thing that parents and child have becareful where they decide before the child get older and not approve due the health care policy.

the eariler you put implant on the kid the eariler they will success... i have notice that most CI users were implanted young ages success later in their teen ages...

and most CI users who were implanted above 18 yrs old.. are having hard time.. cuz their post-graduation plans are busy.. college life... work life.. and have no time for speech therpy, auditury therpy, etc... but they are possible success only if they try their best and only focus on their CI..

Also,, my question.. suppose your child is born with Blindness, Mental Retarded.. would you consider to have them implanted as soon as possible? or will u wait till they turn 18? I am sure you'll chose to have them implanted an eye.. implant a brain to make them success their life..

It's same as those hearing people who is thinking of their deaf children... so i understand their feeling.. and i support that idea. cuz the earlier the more success the child will have in their speech, hearing etc... I noticed that alot of parents who choose to have their children implanted.. also they choose them to learn ASL.. because both CI and ASL have higher benifits...

Sabrina said:
The parents are not accepting for their Deaf children for who they are. It looks like when you have a baby boy cutting his penis off. You want your baby boy turns to girl. The Deaf babies born on this planet as they did not ask for bonic baby !

I prefer, the adult turns 18 to make their own decision.

There are no sex changed operation on babies available!! Doctor won't study in this field.

Sabrina said:
DEAF is not a disease. Little ears are healthy and cute. Little head with softly blonde hair is natural when they born. Why would you take your baby into the surgery room, as the baby born is healthy? They did not ask for bionic baby! Sign Language is natural of their language. Why would we see baby wear huge band-aid because you do not accept your son or daughter who is Deaf?

If your mom or dad saw that you have a brown eyes because your color eyes are not like them. They want the blue eyes; take your eyeballs out to replacement blue one. How would you feel that? Mom and Dad are not acceptable for the Deaf babies. They are not disease.

Again, there are no operation available for change color eyes on babies, its far out off topic!

What would you say if Dr told you there is possible operation for blind baby to see! I would accept it full stop.

I have been profoundly d/Deaf since birth, I speak very well, I read many college level books and novels, and I didn't need a CI to get thru life. From the arguments I am reading on Cochlear Implant threads and from arguments from Pro-CI people, I am deeply offended that the implications are I am not good enough of a person and a fucktard for not having a CI.! I even had a friend come up to me a month ago with the nerve to tell me if I do not agree with him on issues with cochlear implants, I am no longer his friend. That was so fucked up!

Despite the differences between everyone, if you let CIs get in the way of respect and friendship towards other people, you need to get your head examined!!!

RedRum said:
There are no sex changed operation on babies available!! Doctor won't study in this field.

Get your facts straight. There have been documented operations to restore babies' sex organs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back