CI - is it one way or the other only ??

I'm severe loss. I can hear thunder this much farther. Which ear part do you have damage?

Lavender, I don't have ear canals or eardrums.
the majority of oral CI and BTE does feel the need to belong to Deaf Culture.

Am I right?
True. I have NEVER met an oral dhh prelingal who feels 100% at home in the hearing world. One of the things that really really turns me off on oralism is the insistution by experts that oralism will enable dhh kids to totally be a part of the hearing world. Sorry, but I've lived it....and oralism DOESN"T do that!

Interesting discussion going on here. I have been HOH all my life and just recently recieved my CI (March '05). It has been a great ride so far for me. I cannot believe how much I hear now with the CI. Obviously, from the context of my remarks that I'm oriented to the hearing world. I agree I could never be considered 100% a part of the hearing world and at the same time I could never be 100% part of the deaf world. Being in the middle (closer to the hearing world though) has it's problems. For the longest time, I had no real identity being in this middleworld and it gave me trouble trying to "fit" somewhere. It wasn't till after I left college (centuries ago) :mrgreen: , that I finally figured I belong in the hearing world (hook, line, and sinker). The primarly reason was I could use my residual hearing very well, I could speak like a normal person (which caused confusion sometimes for others who didn't realize I was HOH), and that was where I was most comfortable. Recently, I had to try the CI route because my hearing was going south. No regrets at all. It cements me even more to the hearing world.

Don't worry...I don't kid myself on what I'm really am...a hearing person who happens to be deaf... ;)

I dunno...I don't think the amount of residual hearing is what makes you Deaf or Hearing. ...I mean I feel VERY hearing, but at the same time I am also very Deaf...I don't experiance hearing the way a Hearing person does, so I can't be Hearing.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clearer on this. I was just pointing out the means that by which it helped me choose a direction to orient myself. As far as the term "residual hearing" goes, I use in the context where some people have a very difficult time while others have a much easier time utilizing what it available for them with whatever means to do so. Prior to my CI, obviously I didn't have anywhere near normal hearing but with my HA I was able to maximize it to get the most benefit out of it. Part of it is what I wanted to do which was function in the hearing world. I also realize that wishing something and even working your darnest doesn't always work out. It just did for me and thus making my decision easier.

Now getting to the crux of the matter, being deaf or hearing is more of a matter what you think you are with all the limitations and how well one integrates with that world. To repeat on the theme you mentioned, I know and feel I'm hearing because I can relate to the hearing world on their terms. I don't feel left out but rather very much a part of it.

One of the fustrations I had growing up is I was hard of hearing with progressive hearing loss. I never quite fit in the hearing world and didnt quite fit in Deaf world either. And it was mostly how the groups made me feel, not necessarily my own perspective. But at that time in school I was more in Deaf world/culture than hearing. Now I have moved away, and have found myself completely deaf (98-120db loss) and totally in the hearing world for past 10 years. My job, my family life - finding it difficult, so I am considering getting CI. Perhaps if I was in different situation such as being more active in Deaf community, I wouldn't find the CI so attractive.

I almost got a CI a few years ago, but the doctors refused to do it because they don't know what to do with me since they are scared to work with CP people like me. I should have been HoH with CI by now, but I have to cope with my profound deafness.

There are always other ways to communicate better without CI. I am trying to slow down my speech and say every word. I'm also improving lip reading by having the person come closer to me and I have him/her type or write if I don't understand what he/she is trying to say.

I know why some Deaf deafies are deafer then thou or snotty to oral folks.
I can undy it, but I don't condone it....I think it's mainly b/c traditionally hoh kids and oral deaf folks were taught to look down on ASL and Deaf culture, and be all high and mighty about the fact that they could hear and talk.
I can understand that attitude...I just wish more Deaf people understood that I did not choose to be oral only. I didn't reject sign....I just never got exposed to it! I think that some Deafer then thou folks may change or die ou...and that will be good! More hoh kids can be welcomed into the community...and that will save ASL...It's very possible to be a part of both worlds...I do it all the time!

Back