CI Implant and Motorcycle riding

Deb1hd

Reaction score
Does anyone on here ride a Motorcycle with an Implant. If you do how does it effect your Riding. I'm a canident for a implant. I go on Thrusday to see. I don't have much hearing left but it is my understanding that I will lose what i do have if i get the implant. I ride alot. And have to take this into cosideration if i decide to go with it. I know that you can ride deaf. I just don't know if I'll be able to. I have profound loss in both ears.. any advice or experances would be helpful to me.. Thanks

I'm assuming you ride harley :)

trust me - many Harley riders would envy you for being deaf while riding because their ear plugs just won't do the job sufficient enough.

couple of questions - what kind of riding? highway or city? and what kind of helmet do you wear?

I ride a 2006 softail deluxe with vance and hines pipes... Loud...lol I ride city roads and country roads and interstate on it.. I have done alot of long mile trips. I ride alone and with other people.. I use a half helment or a dummy helment. because of the weight of it.. i have a plate in my neck. I'm also claustraphobic so i don't use a full helment... i do use a sheild sometimes would that help

I think riding with your processor on would drain the battery. This always happened to me when I'm on planes and other loud engine areas.

I wouldn't wear it at all while riding. You wouldn't able to hear people anyhow because of the loud sounds and your helmet (it probably muffle the sounds)...and depending on the helmet you're wearing, your processor would just fly out. Again, I just wouldn't wear it while riding. This mean that even if you got an implant, you probably will still have to ride deaf.

I ride a 2006 softail deluxe with vance and hines pipes... Loud...lol I ride city roads and country roads and interstate on it.. I have done alot of long mile trips. I ride alone and with other people.. I use a half helment or a dummy helment. because of the weight of it.. i have a plate in my neck. I'm also claustraphobic so i don't use a full helment... i do use a sheild sometimes would that help

plate in your neck? oh my! be safe!

half helmet.... I suppose you can ride with CI but I wouldn't suggest it. You could lose it cuz of wind!

what A said.... he's right. the noise would drain your battery and plus - it would cause a huge headache with all these droning noise. I've been riding for 2-3 years and when I first started it out, I was concerned about it too. I wear BHE (hearing aids behind the ear). I looked around for helmet that can fit with my HA (hearing aids) inside and this three-quarter helmet can fit it. After a few weeks - I got a new full-face helmet with HA taken off. I got used to it after a little while. Now I'm extremely comfortable riding without HA.

I see that you're a very seasoned biker. You just gotta be extra vigilant and watch your six more often. the only minor disadvantage is not hearing the honking. that's all.

Hi, Deb, and welcome to All deaf. Something you said that I don't quite understand: "I know that you can ride deaf. I just don't know if I'll be able to."

Good observations and comments by others here. I'd like to add that I don't think hearing while driving is all that critical. Being extra aware of your surroundings is all-important. Hearing nor the lack of it is not a basis for safe driving.

Up to you to get a CI for all other reasons but operating your bike. You could keep your processor in with your personal effects and put it on when you are stopped and dealing with the world.

Happy riding!

thanks for the info.. Actully I've only been riding 6 years... but have tried to get in alot of miles and trips. Because that is my Favorite thing to do. I would hate to have to give it up. It would probably take some getting use to and stay off the city roads till i get use to it. i would really be disappointed if i had to give up my bike...

They have Deaf riding groups around here... that is why i know that totally deaf people can ride... I'm not at that point yet... i still have some bass tones left.. at least i think that is what you call it... but i can't hear anything over 250 hz and fall off the chart at 1000 hz so i have a few tones

They have Deaf riding groups around here... that is why i know that totally deaf people can ride... I'm not at that point yet... i still have some bass tones left.. at least i think that is what you call it... but i can't hear anything over 250 hz and fall off the chart at 1000 hz so i have a few tones

Speaking of deaf riding groups, I have yet to do that sort of activity. In the last 3 years several deaf motorcycle operators have been killed while in a group, making me a little leery of engaging in this activity. My wife and I are quite content travelling on our trike; less things to worry about.

Speaking of deaf riding groups, I have yet to do that sort of activity. In the last 3 years several deaf motorcycle operators have been killed while in a group, making me a little leery of engaging in this activity. My wife and I are quite content travelling on our trike; less things to worry about.

:eek3: wow what happened? what was the main cause?

thanks for the info.. Actully I've only been riding 6 years... but have tried to get in alot of miles and trips. Because that is my Favorite thing to do. I would hate to have to give it up. It would probably take some getting use to and stay off the city roads till i get use to it. i would really be disappointed if i had to give up my bike...

see bold red font above. Is it because of your deteriorating hearing?

most of the trips I have been on is with a group of about 6 women. one time we road from Virginia to daytona) I have been on alot of charity rides but would perfer to do the poker runs or dice runs. that way travel solo or with a small group. i ve done rolling thunder a cuople times too... I'm hoping to get a 9 day motorcycle trip in this summer... in the mountains with my boyfriend...

That and the fact that if i get these implants i would be willingly throwing away what little hearing i do have. My brother woke uptotally deaf one morning and it shocked and scared him so bad that he didn't drive for a year. his hearing loss is nothing like mine.. he got a operation and had it restored in one ear. My hearing is just fading away which started with a head blow that i took in a accident i had 30 years ago.. mine is nerves.. i know that i would not stop driveing my vehicles if i lose it totally but wonder about my motorcycle.

most of the trips I have been on is with a group of about 6 women. one time we road from Virginia to daytona) I have been on alot of charity rides but would perfer to do the poker runs or dice runs. that way travel solo or with a small group. i ve done rolling thunder a cuople times too... I'm hoping to get a 9 day motorcycle trip in this summer... in the mountains with my boyfriend...

:rockon: you don't need HA/CI to enjoy that :)

That and the fact that if i get these implants i would be willingly throwing away what little hearing i do have. My brother woke uptotally deaf one morning and it shocked and scared him so bad that he didn't drive for a year. his hearing loss is nothing like mine.. he got a operation and had it restored in one ear. My hearing is just fading away which started with a head blow that i took in a accident i had 30 years ago.. mine is nerves.. i know that i would not stop driveing my vehicles if i lose it totally but wonder about my motorcycle.

I'm sorry to hear that your brother had a rather traumatic experience with hearing loss but as long as you keep a positive outlook... there's nothing that you can't do :cool2: and that includes enjoying riding.

If you want to - at your home, try to live a deaf life. Take off your HA or put on your ear plug. It could make a transition easier for you to live a sound-free lifestyle temporarily until you get CI so that you don't panic or get suddenly depressed.

I don't wear hearing aides. but i will try the ear plugs. will try riding this weekend with them to..
The doctor told me that we can give you implants and that would make you hear ALOT better and i asked how much better and he ALOT. to me i need more of a answer than that. so ever since then i have been searching it out. About the implants and have been trolling these boards for about a month now. But haven't come across anything about riding with them... Thanks everyone for your input :)

I don't wear hearing aides. but i will try the ear plugs. will try riding this weekend with them to..
The doctor told me that we can give you implants and that would make you hear ALOT better and i asked how much better and he ALOT. to me i need more of a answer than that. so ever since then i have been searching it out. About the implants and have been trolling these boards for about a month now. But haven't come across anything about riding with them... Thanks everyone for your input :)

good luck and keep on riding :cool2:

I have CI and I have ridden on Motorcycle quite few times.... it doesn't bother me and it doesn't affect me. So I'm sure you won't have a problem riding a motorcycle with your implant on.

I have CI and I have ridden on Motorcycle quite few times.... it doesn't bother me and it doesn't affect me. So I'm sure you won't have a problem riding a motorcycle with your implant on.

Did you have it turned on while riding?

Back