CI- Cochlear America kit

Fl885

Reaction score
hello everyone, I had my CI over a week back and will be activated end of next week, I got Cochlear America, I saw the kit that they offer, they told me I can pick 2 free accessories?, like the direct connect cable which I think it's a good idea but not sure what the best to pick and what these accessories are about, can you please explain to me, what about the batteries, what do you get, which one are best, I'm confused, LOL
what about the color, I have brown hair, I thought I will get the beige color for the processor and a brown color for the cable that connect the processor to the magnetic piece and the magnetic piece itself, is this good or should I get all brown?, I like it to blend well with my hair and skin

Thanks

hello everyone, I had my CI over a week back and will be activated end of next week, I got Cochlear America, I saw the kit that they offer, they told me I can pick 2 free accessories?, like the direct connect cable which I think it's a good idea but not sure what the best to pick and what these accessories are about, can you please explain to me, what about the batteries, what do you get, which one are best, I'm confused, LOL
what about the color, I have brown hair, I thought I will get the beige color for the processor and a brown color for the cable that connect the processor to the magnetic piece and the magnetic piece itself, is this good or should I get all brown?, I like it to blend well with my hair and skin

Thanks

I am assuming you got the N5 from cochlear.

I picked direct cable which is suprisly more useful than I had thought. I use it all the time in school, easy to turn the feature off when talking to someone. I think I just asked for an extra battery as my 2nd choice.

Batteries is no brainer, one is standard and one is campact. I knew from beginning (from having an implant for so many years) i am not a power user so I got two compact batteries and one standard battery. Compact is my favorite battery because its small and it lasts all day (12 hours), but it varies on the person and how much power they need.

I went to get all black processor, black batteries, wire, and headpeice (fyi, its called headpeice). I have curly brown hair but recently cut my hair to like 1-2cm so its pretty short and the processor clearly shows off. I thought beige looked ugly and brown doesnt look good on my white skin. However, black blends with my brown hair best, brown and beige makes it super obvious.

Besides, everyones gonna see it, so might as well make it sleek. my friends have commend on how cool and sleek it looks compare to my old processor (harmony). They said it looks more "adult" looking.

Thanks for the reply, so I should get all brown??, I did not know this
Yes got the N5, sorry I'm new to all of this
Yes I thought the direct connect is a neat thing
Then I get an extra battery, that's make sense
yes I think Cochlear looks way better than AB, the AB one is just ugly, big
I'm happy for you, I hope it working well for you, I'm really scared of what I will get at the activation and beyond as since my surgery 10 days back I feel like I'm 70% less human, I lost an ear, I never thought my right ear was functioning so good to me until the surgery, I can't do well with the left ear alone, it's like I lost 70% of what I was before, even though the tests showed my hearing in the implanted one is a little worse than the left one, I'm just in the wait and see game at this point :)

I'm happy for you, I hope it working well for you, I'm really scared of what I will get at the activation and beyond as since my surgery 10 days back I feel like I'm 70% less human, I lost an ear, I never thought my right ear was functioning so good to me until the surgery, I can't do well with the left ear alone, it's like I lost 70% of what I was before, even though the tests showed my hearing in the implanted one is a little worse than the left one, I'm just in the wait and see game at this point :)

I think with a little time you will be very happy. I have had my second one activated about a month now and getting better every day. Don't think I'm quite were I was with HA and CL but close now. Wont be long until it is much better. Just don't expect too much at first. I got the tan/skin color, not sure if its called tan or not but definitely noticeable and I'm glad to have it noticed. Have had strangers ask about it and find they had someone in family that was deaf or close to it and trying to find out more. I have the Cochlear on both sides. Very happy with them. Takes a while to get used to different sounds but soon it all becomes "normal"? I enjoy listening to music and very nice to be able to do that again and even understand the words that I've not been able to do for years. For me the suspense of trying to hear something the first time it was activated was frightening. after about 5 min I finally heard something. After that is was all down hill. Seems they bring the level up real slow to make sure one is not blasted out of the chair. My next mapping is in three weeks now. first three were about one week apart.
Good luck and enjoy the world of sound. It's a noisy world out there.

Getting all browns up to you. Its the matter of perfernce of the person. I mean when me and my friend were introduced to the Harmony, we were like.. wtf ugly colors but we got the dark gray and we thought it was awesome and better than colors that fail to try to "match" your skin/hair. color.

i too got implanted recently. im switched on 8th april.
i was wondering would anyone have input of what they think are most valuable items amoungst this list of items i can choose for in my kit
or even an explanation of what each piece is used for.

lapel microphone
personal audio cable
mains isolation cable
monitor earphones
thanks
nichola

i too got implanted recently. im switched on 8th april.
i was wondering would anyone have input of what they think are most valuable items amoungst this list of items i can choose for in my kit
or even an explanation of what each piece is used for.

lapel microphone
personal audio cable
mains isolation cable
monitor earphones
thanks
nichola

Hey, I took screenshots of the cochlear store to show the prices of how damn expensive they charge for their stuff.
But the kit will come with a lot of stuff, like 2 processors, 2 headpieces, 2 wires, 3 batteries (i think, fg)

I was suprised by the prices of the wires ($96 for a stupid wire, $25 from AB, but i was told that it doesnt break as easily and should last 3 years, but nothing to worry cause everthing you get with N5 is under replaceable for 3 years.

cochlear1.png

cochlear2.png

cochlear3.png

cochlear4.png

cochlear5.png

cochlear6.png

I think the personal audio cable and the mains isolation cables would be the best to get. I use both cables when I am watching a movie or TV show on my laptop and my laptop is plugged in. I have also used both of them on airplanes.

I think with a little time you will be very happy. I have had my second one activated about a month now and getting better every day. Don't think I'm quite were I was with HA and CL but close now. Wont be long until it is much better. Just don't expect too much at first. I got the tan/skin color, not sure if its called tan or not but definitely noticeable and I'm glad to have it noticed. Have had strangers ask about it and find they had someone in family that was deaf or close to it and trying to find out more. I have the Cochlear on both sides. Very happy with them. Takes a while to get used to different sounds but soon it all becomes "normal"? I enjoy listening to music and very nice to be able to do that again and even understand the words that I've not been able to do for years. For me the suspense of trying to hear something the first time it was activated was frightening. after about 5 min I finally heard something. After that is was all down hill. Seems they bring the level up real slow to make sure one is not blasted out of the chair. My next mapping is in three weeks now. first three were about one week apart.
Good luck and enjoy the world of sound. It's a noisy world out there.

Thanks for the encouragement words, I really needed some, I'm scared of next week, LOL

wow these accessories are so expensive, are they covered by the insurance? or at least some of it?, emailed the audi today, she said that she ordered the beige processor and can not cancel it now! but she may have the brown when I go there next week and see if she can let me try both colors and which one I feel comfortable with, I frankly do not want it to be obvious, not that I'm ashamed of it or anything but I don't want to be the first thing people notice/see about me, I want to feel normal/regular person, the less obvious looking the CI is the better, LOL

bbaseballboy. thanks for the description . this really helps.
i know switch on is different for everyone but what are peoples views of it?
is the progress so steady that u dont even notice or do people find that after a few weeks they are progressing?
i dont know what to expect , i want to stay positive but also need to keep my expectations low.
nichola

Hi Nichola,

You will notice the difference when the time comes. I noticed the highs sounds such as water running, dogs tags quite quickly although the sound doesn't make sense at first then granually it becomes recongisable. Then it's kind of rambles in with new sounds. your friends/work mates might notice that your voice might be softer and quieter, Mine did!!

Good Luck with the switch on.

FI885

I have Brown hair (bob styled) I have brown freedom but as if I get the upgrade to N5 I probably go for Black because it's space age techo with silver strips!! LOL I don't think Brown/silver mixes well in terms of the colour! Beige and Silver is good as they both are light colour and would be less noticable.

Since I am in UK i get everything and rarely uses them!! but I used the direct cable ALOT, very useful with phone, ipod, laptop when not plugged in the mains (otherwise i use the mains cable with breaker in the middle)

I prefer rechargables over disposables but it is always useful to keep a disposables as spare along with cage (there's a cage and 3 packet of batteries in a zipped up plastic bag in each locker at work/school/car/my bag). Has the FDA approved the disposables yet?

I have no experience of compact/standard battery but do know that it's depend on how powerful your map is going to be, the more powerful, the less juice.

over the pond,
thanks for feedback. im excited about switch on as its the start of my new ears!!!! but im also afraid to get too excited as people are telling me it will take alot of time and patience. everyone is different i surpose .
i just hope i dont regret this.
nichola

Back