CI blog for my daughter

Oh that's awesome you're going with both ASL and speech! YEAH! Just a word of advice. If your kid doesn't seem to be progressing with speech as well as sign, don't drop sign. Instead, try to supplement with additional therapy. Like, it might be a good idea to see an auditory-verbal therapist, in addition to the in school therapy. I recall reading that most orally skilled kids are the result of the oral private schools. Also, have your kid evaluated for a speech disabilty called apraxia, which overall is very common among dhh kids.
Also might want to contact OAD (Oragon Association of the Deaf) and see if they offer mentoring in ASL. Some NADs have programs where Deaf adults come to your house to teach you Sign.
I'm very happy and excited. Just remember........ASL may be hard (and I undy that......it took me a while to get the hang of the syntax etc) BUT, by learning ASL, you're full-toolboxing your kid. And that's awesome.......this way, if your kid doesn't have a flair for oral skills, they won't be behind in learning Sign. Even if your kid is good at oral skills, Sign might capitialize on the nautral visual processing strengh of dhh kids.
Too bad SkullChick isn't still out in Oregon. Do we have any members in Oregon that can help dragon image?
When will your daughter start at the preschool?

Thanks for all the support Deafdyke. Our EI adviser told us that she will have to wait until she is 2 before she can enter the pre-school.

Our daughter is very visually responsive, so this is why we are choosing to add ASL to her learning. It never hurts to add more skills to your child's bucket.

We have the Pre-Op appointment next week, so we are getting very anxious about the surgery.

The school will focus on language development and they also teach ASL to all their students.

We may also send our non-deaf son there also so he can take advantage of the ASL and be with his sister.

That is wonderful! I have to tell you, I truly admire the fact that you are considering sending your hearing son to the same program. That is very progressive. Too many times, the focus is on the deaf child, and the hearing children who are siblings are kind of left out of the whole process. This is a family affair. You and your spouse are obviously thinking this through carefully. Good for you!

Also, very observant of you to notice how responsive your daughter is visually. Most deaf infants are, but that fact is too often left out of the equation in deciding approaches to use. Build on her strengths; it will provide her with an advantage.

Just an update for those still reading this post. Kairi had her surgery yesterday and it was a complete success. Feel free to visit her blog to see the pictures.

Thanks for all the support.

Just an update for those still reading this post. Kairi had her surgery yesterday and it was a complete success. Feel free to visit her blog to see the pictures.

Happy to hear that everything went well. Wishing Kairi a speedy recovery.

Great to hear everything went smoothly. :)

PS looked at her blog - she is just so gorgeous!

jag............FYI, I was referring to EARLY intervention, not the actual education.
Even specialized schools which have majority severe/ multihandicapped populations, tend to have such good early intervention, that they'll have lots of "just blind or just dhh kids in their preschool/early intervention/kindergarten programs. Generally public early intervention tends to be targeted towards kids with more physical (ie cerebal palsy) or mental issues, rather then sensory issues.
Besides, OSD will be a good resource if the parent wants to learn Sign.

The schools i know of take kids in EI who have mental issues, physical issues, autism, hearing loss, vision problems etc. etc. Evidently your state is not as 'progressive' as mine.

Great news, when is her activation?
Rick

Saw the pictures - she looks so cranky in the one picture with her bandage on - cute!

Hope activation goes well - only 10 more days!

Back