CI and glasses

We are in Hampton, VA. Ashley will be able to start school in September if she is ready( or me more so). They said they will start her off in classes with children that have the same needs she does. Then when she is ready they will try her in mainstream. She will have her own teacher that follows her from grade to grade until she is caught up to her age group. This is all from the Deaf Blind Project in my area. EI just follows her through her OT and PT. We have a school that is local that we are looking into now. I am waiting on them to send me some info so I will know what we need to do.

Have you contacted the Hampton School for the Deaf? It's acutally called Virginia School for the Deaf, Blind & Multi-Disabled at Hampton. Many deafies call it Hampton school for the deaf. There are two VSDBs: one in Staunton and one in Hampton. I don't know if they're prepared to work with deafblinds like your daughter but it's worth a try.

Opps nvm, Ashey's mom.

That is who I am waiting to hear from. To see what services they have and if Ashley qualifies for any of them. They are just practically down the street a ways. So very convenient !!

Woohoo! That would be awesome if she DOES qualify to go there! The academic program sounds like it's more sped based, (like not too many kids go to college) BUT, sped school's EI programs are supposed to be VERY good. Maybe if mainstream doesn't work out when she's older, she could go to Staunton or MSSD.

Yep. Right now we are in a wait and see deal. I am just glad there are so many resources out there.

Definitly keep on with the "Wait and see" philosophy as to Ashley's education. I mean I know you're still not sure how affected Ashley is gonna be by her disablities. One upside of special schooling is that therapy is automaticly built into the day. Like instead of pull out by a special teacher Braille literacy, physical therapy, speech etc are formal classes. It doesn't interupt the school day.
I must say it is lucky that you are in a town that has such good resources.
Did I give you the link to the American Society for Deaf Children?

I will have to check and see. I have gotten so many good links lately. We are keeping all options open. We won't know for a while how much Ashley is effected but when we do we want to be ready.

Back