CI and CDL yes or no?

SteveESP52

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there with a CI have a CDL (Commercial Drivers License)?
If so, did you obtain the CDL after receiving the CI or before?
Can someone with a CI obtain a CDL these days.

How about be DOT approved to drive trucks up to 26000 lbs?

Thanks
Steve

Ya wanna be a driver, Steve? Maybe I'll see you drive your truck somewhere around here. Altho we'd never know it if we ever passed one another. Heh.

Have you tried getting the CDL?

i've known some deaf drivers who have CDL and don't have CI.. so i assume you don't accually need a CI or hearing aid in order to have it.

so if you have or don't have i'm sure you can get one..

doesn't hurt to go and get a test.

Deafmama, I'm needing it for work. Our race car truck and trailer loaded is really close to 26,000 lbs limit and that is the line where a CDL is required. I'm quite sure I need a DOT medical card and tried to get one last year but after filling out the medical information, I decided to put it off a little while since I did not have my CI yet and had a really hard time hearing what people were saying and was concerned with the hearing test. I guess, I would rather not have a check box that goes in some file somewhere saying I can't have one when if I knew the facts and answered the questions slightly different it would all be OK. I would in no way lie or put myself or anyone else at risk but would answer the questions factually. Example, I will never tell the DMV that some doctors diagnosed me with Menieres Syndrome and some said it was just a cold or allergies. To many people draw the simple conclusion that if you have Menieres, you are constantly dizzy and are on the verge of falling down due to possible Vertigo attacks and are potentially unsafe to society. Far from my experience. I have had Vertigo attacks - 14-15 years ago (3 attacks within 6 months), slight dizziness for short periods of time but I now know what it feels like and can stop the feeling before it gets bad. Don't ask me how but it all is with head position and state of mind including blood pressure and remaining calm. If you have ever had cancer or other significant "problem" you can probably kiss low priced health and life insurance premiums goodbye. Funny that some insurance companies consider CI's a pre-existing condition. To me, just being born is a pre-existing condition. Your going to get hurt sometime in your life. I sure have and if I went the hospital every time, I'd be broke. Anyway, thanks for responding.

BTW, how is the CI doing for you? It has been less than a week or is coming up on the 1 week anniversary right?

DeafScuba, I guess it may depend on the state. I have read that there are some medications that will prevent you from being able to get a CDL. I have also heard stories that people have lost their CDL due to hearing loss but have no factual information to draw conclusions from.

Steve

Cdl

Hi Steve my husband has a CDL and has been in the position of hiring drivers. I asked him about this and he thought it varied state to state and recommeded you can go on-line and view your state DMV. It may give you your answer without letting anyone know your condition. I do understand what you mean, I will never check box on license for disabilities as I dont need someone mandating when I can drive.I know when im not feeling up to par. Not to mention I'm sure my car insurance would put at an at risk driver and rates would go sky high. I have only been caught in the situation orf being out and getting dizzy 3 times in 23 yrs.Then its just a matter of parking car and gettin someone to come get me.Thank-God for cellphones.Didnt have them back when I first started to drive. Just curious what kind of racing? Big Mopar fans in my house. Now that they are in Nascar the Steves(huband&son) watch it but really love their drag racing. We met John Force back before he was so popular and my son was a baby and he is as nice as he looks.Held my son signed stuff and took pictures without us even asking him to. Hope you find the answer you need. Tami

Back