CI and BTE - together? or better not?

Audiofuzzy

Reaction score
How many of you use CI and "regular" hearing aid like BTE together, and what is the quality of hearing- better than with either of by itself, or the sound is not the same..? not the good quality? or what?
I am asking because someone told me some drs say no to HA with CI and some why not??

and sorry if that subject is in archives I really really am in hurry..

Fuzzy

you'll get much better hearing if you use both teh CI and hearing aid at the same time.

i have been encouraged to use my CI and hearing aid but i hated my hearing aid because the molding would bother me so i never wore it.

I have heard that there are definite benefits to using both the CI and HA together. I can't say I use both (I do have a CI) but because my "bad" ear can't use a HA (maybe a CI one day...).

The main reason they don't want you to use both at first is because you haven't figured out how to use the CI yet (I'm referring to your brain adapting to it). They really want you to get the hang of using the CI until you got it down pretty well. At that point, you would starting using the HA along with it. Otherwise, you probably wouldn't do as well with the CI as it is best utilized with much practice.

I got a ci and ha and they work pretty good together once you get used to 2 different sounds ( i have not been able to hear out of my implanted ear for over 20 years so i guess that it took a fair bit of getting used to hearing out of 2 ears at the same time again as well ! ) . With a ci you dont get all the sounds you get from normal hearing so getting those sounds from your ear with the ha gives you better hearing overall than just using a ci .Whoever said dont use ha with ci dont know what they is talking about cos ci experiences is different for everybody .Even when you is getting used to ci i think you should still wear ha just not all the time

I think actually that a LOT of people wear both.....It's controversial, but a lot of people do have enough resdiaul hearing to benifit from aiding in unimplanted ear.

My wife has a CI and wears a BTE in the other ear. Strangely enough, she claims to able to localize sound—something that I am completely incapable of doing.

Back