Church Services for Deaf Children

Isaacsmom

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
My 9 month old son has profound hearing loss. We go to a Community Church. (Part of the Church of God denomination). My son is the only Deaf person in our entire congregation. I am worried as to how he will be able to learn about God through the church services and Sunday School Classes. Can anyone tell me their experiences in church growing up as Deaf? What should we recommend to the pastor so our son can learn of God's love and still interact with other kids? We don't even have an interpreter for our pastors sermon. Honestly, there aren't many deaf children in the entire county we live in. We visited the hearing impaired pre-school and there were like 4 children in it. The mainstreamed elementary school had maybe 5 kids in it. Even though we live in Pennsylvania the Maryland School for the Deaf would be the closest school to us. Even closer than the Western PA School for the Deaf. Does anyone have experience in The Maryland School for the Deaf? Do you have to be a resident of Maryland to gain admission? Any information would be awesome! Thank you so much! Happy New Year!

i believe deaf child going to church knowing God and Jesus will probably behind than other hearing children, and deaf child will get bored sitting for long n not understand :/ but not worry u may show pictures and drawing deaf children usually learn what they're seeing, later on when he is able to understand communicating with u then teach him words, names of God e.t.c.

like my younger daughter is deaf i used to show words and hang paper taped on each things, table, wall, door e.t.c. now she can answer when she reads me writting and points correct even she cant speak or hear me saying, neat! i m so proud!

Isaacsmom said:
Hello Everyone,
My 9 month old son has profound hearing loss. We go to a Community Church. (Part of the Church of God denomination). My son is the only Deaf person in our entire congregation. I am worried as to how he will be able to learn about God through the church services and Sunday School Classes. Can anyone tell me their experiences in church growing up as Deaf? What should we recommend to the pastor so our son can learn of God's love and still interact with other kids? We don't even have an interpreter for our pastors sermon. Honestly, there aren't many deaf children in the entire county we live in. We visited the hearing impaired pre-school and there were like 4 children in it. The mainstreamed elementary school had maybe 5 kids in it. Even though we live in Pennsylvania the Maryland School for the Deaf would be the closest school to us. Even closer than the Western PA School for the Deaf. Does anyone have experience in The Maryland School for the Deaf? Do you have to be a resident of Maryland to gain admission? Any information would be awesome! Thank you so much! Happy New Year!

Isaacsmom,

First of all, :welcome: .

Second, God bless you for getting a start on being your son's advocate. You have done half the battle already in determining Isaac has a hearing loss, now it's time for getting everything ready and in place for him when he is old enough and ready. You will learn that you may have more nicknames for you that you're not aware of, because of the needs of Isaac, :eek2: but don't worry about it. You have to advocate for him. My mother did it for me, even visited my 7th grade counselor and went to all classes with me.

Nothing was being done for me, so the following two years, I was in a private, Christian school (ACE program). Worst thing that ever happened to me, because by the time I returned to public school, I was nearly put into special education, because I was that far behind. :dizzy:

Now, about my own church upbringing. It wasn't pretty and I was treated like I was mentally retarded. Back then, that's how everyone did things, including the schools. My pastor's daughter was deaf and it took a door-to-door salesman to tell him that because his own daughter was deaf, not mentally retarded as the school psychologist said. My school psychologist had to apologize to my parents for saying it about me, too, after my deafness was diagnosed, just before going into the 5th grade.

Oh, how I wish I could have gone to the state school for the deaf, but, my dad said, "costs money" so my mother gave up, but not on being my advocate! The difference between a church and a school is that the former doesn't have to comply at all with The ADA, they may, but, chances are that they won't. Isaacsmom, I pm'd you with an article concerning me and my hearing dog, Snickers. The latter does and you can sue the daylights out of them for not providing.

Don't even consider a private Christian school for Isaac, as he doesn't need to be treated like that. I wasn't treated badly by the other kids, but the "teacher's" the second year were the worst and not qualified for anything. I know this was long, but, even a church you're at now may not provide for your family's needs.

You said you're closer to Maryland, well, if I were you, I'd go there and inquire about the reciprocity agreement between Pennsylvania and Maryland for the school and go from there. You may also consider finding a church over in that area and leave yours. Spare me the argument, "It's God's will for you to be at the one you're at now." Obviously, it isn't, since your ENTIRE family isn't being fed spiritually. Yes, I am a Christian and retired from the ministry in 2000 after 18 years and I do know what Christians are like and how your son will be treated (note: I did not say "...how your son 'would' be treated..."). If you need help, feel free to pm me, I'll give you my personal email address so that you and husband can keep in touch. I care.

I know a Deaf Pastor in Frederick, who could possibly help. I'll need to look up his info.

Can anyone tell me their experiences in church growing up as Deaf?

I experience growing up in Assembly of God Church. My father is a preacher. I was fortunate to have 4 interpreters there when I was growing up.

What should we recommend to the pastor so our son can learn of God's love and still interact with other kids?

I would recommend for you to tell your Pastor that you need an interpreter for your son. However, right now, your son is only 9 months old and it is too early for him to understand an interpreter. The best way is for you to teach the Sunday School worker or Child Care Worker to learn some of sign language themselves.

I encourage you to pray for God's Will and his guidance for you and your family. If your pastor refused to help...I would recommend to find another church. The most important is for you and your husband is to teach your son about the Bible stories, etc.

About my experience in mainstreaming school and private school...I would support both,,,I went both of these school...I took ACE program which it was okay...however I would recommend going to mainstreaming school is better education than going to Maryland school for the deaf. I would never support school for the deaf because 1) children growing up there without parents raising them. 2) children learn to have sex with one another 3) children get to visit with their parents on weekends...

and also..I noticed out in the world today...there are many deafies who grew up in school for the deaf...tend to be lazy and not go to work...they rely on SSDI or SSI...on drugs..parties...etc..and other deafies who grew up in mainstreaming school who are not lazy and go to work....have a better life.

Feel free to pm me if you need anything. I will be praying for you and your family...

We went to our First Deaf Church service today. We are LDS and we have Deaf wards thru out the USA> It was different because we are used to certain things.. we heard no singing. Everything was in sign. But for the talks there were interpreters. It was cute to see the kids with their parents. Half of the meeting was hearing -they were there for their deaf/hoh family members. It covered all bases of a family that has this disability. It was neat....if you tell me what state you are in I can tell you if there is one in your area.

The hymns were done by sign and a thingie up on a screen so they could read and watch the signer lady too conducting.

We are taking our first sign classes for free thru the church on tues day.

Penni

deaf church

i am a deaf preachers kid.. learned about God, Jesus since i was baby.. i was lucky ..enuff growing knowin so many deaf/hearing pastors(southern Baptisit ) and also interperters.. was rasied upon 2 demonations- Southern Baptist and General Baptists.. bthere is even a deaf confernce for it, cathloics do too and im not sure about others...

Have you requested an interpreter? If they can't provide you one, you can find a church that does. In my hometown, there's one church that used to have a deaf program. Due to many of the deaf members moving away, the deaf program shrunk out of existence. Now, I don't know what's up with that church. My parent's church used to have an interpreter too... until the only deaf member there left.

I don’t know if anyone comments have help you yet, but I would like to share my experienced with what you can do for your son. First of all, my mom looked for someone who can be able to take his time spending one to one with my brother and I. (We did have one or two deaf people come in sometimes and would stay with us in Sunday School) The person didn’t have to learn sign language because we were too young. Of course, this person who worked with my brother and I learned sign language because he felt the burden to learn since he realizes that is the only way to communicate. (But I would suggest for this person to learn anyway for other reasons like bathroom, hungry, drink, mom, etc) The only way for him was to show us pictures related to Bible. The person who helps your son can go to Christian store and get those pictures or anything visual. Visual things or hand on stuff would help your son learn about God.

I would never forget this person because we did learned a lot from this man and God bless his heart for willing to work with us. After we got older (before entering in junior high), my mom found another church that had a service for the deaf; therefore, she took us there. When we were in Sunday school, my brother and I were able to answer most of the questions when the teacher asked us questions related to the Bible.

With your young child, if there is a person who is willing to work with your son one to one, it may benefit him a lot so that he gets the attention and be able to understand the story better than being in the class with others for the first few years. (If there is another deaf child comes in with not much of age different, bring them together as it would benefit for both of them together) After he is done teaching, your son can go with others to play.

As for Christian school, (if you decide to) just be sure they understand your son is deaf and needs an interpreter. Just be an advocate for your son needs and don’t give up.

As your son gets older, he would need an interpreter for Sunday school and church service. Talk with your pastor about this. Your pastor could hire an interpreter for the service and Sunday school or contact an interpreter agency (which will cost more than if he hire one himself).

if any more question, send me email.

My son is the only Deaf person in our entire congregation. I am worried as to how he will be able to learn about God through the church services and Sunday School Classes.

Parents are the best advocates for their deaf child.

One of the first songs a child learns in church is "Away in a Manger", the first prayer, "Our Father". What system teaches these to your son?

What "system" will enable your son to read the bible? What system could his hearing playmates learn effectively so that they could exchange experiences?

quiet gal said:
I don’t know if anyone comments have help you yet, but I would like to share my experienced with what you can do for your son. First of all, my mom looked for someone who can be able to take his time spending one to one with my brother and I. (We did have one or two deaf people come in sometimes and would stay with us in Sunday School) The person didn’t have to learn sign language because we were too young. Of course, this person who worked with my brother and I learned sign language because he felt the burden to learn since he realizes that is the only way to communicate. (But I would suggest for this person to learn anyway for other reasons like bathroom, hungry, drink, mom, etc) The only way for him was to show us pictures related to Bible. The person who helps your son can go to Christian store and get those pictures or anything visual. Visual things or hand on stuff would help your son learn about God.

I would never forget this person because we did learned a lot from this man and God bless his heart for willing to work with us. After we got older (before entering in junior high), my mom found another church that had a service for the deaf; therefore, she took us there. When we were in Sunday school, my brother and I were able to answer most of the questions when the teacher asked us questions related to the Bible.

With your young child, if there is a person who is willing to work with your son one to one, it may benefit him a lot so that he gets the attention and be able to understand the story better than being in the class with others for the first few years. (If there is another deaf child comes in with not much of age different, bring them together as it would benefit for both of them together) After he is done teaching, your son can go with others to play.

As for Christian school, (if you decide to) just be sure they understand your son is deaf and needs an interpreter. Just be an advocate for your son needs and don’t give up.

As your son gets older, he would need an interpreter for Sunday school and church service. Talk with your pastor about this. Your pastor could hire an interpreter for the service and Sunday school or contact an interpreter agency (which will cost more than if he hire one himself).

if any more question, send me email.

:gpost: :thumb:

Back