Church says girl's communion not valid

BigSpike

Reaction score
I cant image this...I believe in God's grace and compassionate than following church's duty of rule...I knew God did teach about Lord's supper but God is most interested in human's heart than rules or anything...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/08/19/communion.denied.ap/index.html

Church says girl's communion not valid

BRIELLE, New Jersey (AP) -- An 8-year-old girl who suffers from a rare digestive disorder and cannot eat wheat has had her first Holy Communion declared invalid because the wafer contained no wheat, violating Roman Catholic doctrine.

Now, Haley Waldman's mother is pushing the Diocese of Trenton and the Vatican to make an exception, saying the girl's condition should not exclude her from the sacrament, which commemorates the Last Supper of Jesus Christ before his crucifixion. The mother believes a rice Communion wafer would suffice.

"It's just not a viable option. How does it corrupt the tradition of the Last Supper? It's just rice versus wheat," said Elizabeth Pelly-Waldman.

Church doctrine holds that Communion wafers, like the bread served at the Last Supper, must have at least some unleavened wheat. Church leaders are reluctant to change anything about the sacrament.

"This is not an issue to be determined at the diocesan or parish level, but has already been decided for the Roman Catholic Church throughout the world by Vatican authority," Trenton Bishop John M. Smith said in a statement last week.

Haley was diagnosed with celiac sprue disease when she was 5. The disorder occurs in people with a genetic intolerance of gluten, a food protein contained in wheat and other grains.

When consumed by celiac sufferers, gluten damages the lining of the small intestine, blocking nutrient absorption and leading to vitamin deficiencies, bone-thinning and sometimes gastrointestinal cancer.

The diocese has told Haley's mother that the girl can receive a low-gluten wafer, or just drink wine at Communion, but that anything without gluten does not qualify. Pelly-Waldman rejected the offer, saying her child could be harmed by even a small amount of the substance.

Haley's Communion controversy isn't the first. In 2001, the family of a 5-year-old Massachusetts girl with the disease left the Catholic church after being denied permission to use a rice wafer.

Some Catholic churches allow no-gluten hosts, while others do not, said Elaine Monarch, executive director of the Celiac Disease Foundation, a California-based support group for sufferers.

"It is an undue hardship on a person who wants to practice their religion and needs to compromise their health to do so," Monarch said.

The church has similar rules for Communion wine. For alcoholics, the church allows a substitute for wine under some circumstances, however the drink must still be fermented from grapes and contain some alcohol. Grape juice is not a valid substitute.

Haley, a shy, brown-haired tomboy who loves surfing and hates wearing dresses, realizes the consequences of taking a wheat wafer.

"I'm on a gluten-free diet because I can't have wheat. I could die," she said last week.

Last year, as the third grader approached Holy Communion age in this Jersey Shore town, her mother told officials at St. Denis Catholic Church in Manasquan that the girl could not have the standard host.

After the church's pastor refused to allow a substitute, a priest at a nearby parish volunteered to offer one, and in May, Haley wore a white Communion dress, and received the sacrament alongside her mother, who had not taken Communion since she herself was diagnosed with the disease.

Last month, the diocese told the priest that the church would not validate Haley's sacrament because of the substitute wafer.

"I struggled with telling her that the sacrament did not happen," said Pelly-Waldman. "She lives in a world of rules. She says 'Mommy, do we want to break a rule? Are we breaking a rule?"'

Pelly-Waldman is seeking help from the Pope and has written to Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome, challenging the church's policy.

"This is a church rule, not God's will, and it can easily be adjusted to meet the needs of the people, while staying true to the traditions of our faith," Pelly-Waldman wrote in the letter.

Pelly-Waldman -- who is still attending Mass every Sunday with her four children -- said she is not out to bash the church, just to change the policy that affects her daughter.

"I'm hopeful. Do I think it will be a long road to change? Yes. But I'm raising an awareness and I'm taking it one step at a time," she said.

Cannot believe! They should replace something else for people with rare disease/disorders.

That church is :Owned:

That's not fair at all, this young girl can not help it if she has this rare digestive disorder , the church should have given her a white bread instead of wheat.... :smash:

Damn, this is stupid! :crazy:

This is one small reason why I decided not to pursue any specific religion because of their beliefs. "Don't go to church? You will go to hell!" "Don't pray often? You will go to hell!" "Don't eat this wheat wafer and/or drink wine? You will go to hell!" That is the thought these people feel when they are rejected by the church for specific reasons. Some of us depend on a job in order to survive. Yet, they say that if we really love God... we should be going to church. However, that's a problem because some of us have to work and there is no other option. This job is something some of us need in order to survive. That is like saying, "If you really love God, you would quit your job and come to church more. If you die from not having a job, then you're forgiven." That would make us martyrs... willing to die for God any time.

If God is what everyone says he is, then he will love us regardless of what we do. Therefore, exceptions should be permitted any time.

VamPyroX said:

This is one small reason why I decided not to pursue any specific religion because of their beliefs. "Don't go to church? You will go to hell!" "Don't pray often? You will go to hell!" "Don't eat this wheat wafer and/or drink wine? You will go to hell!" That is the thought these people feel when they are rejected by the church for specific reasons. Some of us depend on a job in order to survive. Yet, they say that if we really love God... we should be going to church. However, that's a problem because some of us have to work and there is no other option. This job is something some of us need in order to survive. That is like saying, "If you really love God, you would quit your job and come to church more. If you die from not having a job, then you're forgiven." That would make us martyrs... willing to die for God any time.

If God is what everyone says he is, then he will love us regardless of what we do. Therefore, exceptions should be permitted any time.

Vamp,

I believe in a just and loving God, and that He will love us unconditionally whether we go to church or not. Having said that, I agree with you. I think that PEOPLE bring their on viewpoints in what God intended, and I think that is wrong. If you are happy believing as you do, there's sure as heck isn't anything wrong with it! And, you sure as heck AREN'T going to Hell just because, you have to fulfill a financial obligation insteading of filling up a pew on sunday morning! It makes my BLOOD BOIL when I hear stuff like this, because, who is man to judge what another man (or woman) does with their time? We mortals don't have the RIGHT to judge one another for what we must do in this life.

Just my two cents ..have a nice day! :)

VamPyroX said:

I do understand how u feeling, I have approached same issues as your from my other deaf friends...they hollered at me "why attend church and pray what for????" I disregard their comment...I am strong believer in God...People get misunderstood too often this God focus on church itself is totally untrue...God work and performs whatever he does OUTSIDE church...I enjoyed my time serving inside church and outside..people misunderstood what inside church is...but IT DEPENDS on what church is...some church are OVERSTRICTED..for example, baptist tend to have many women require to wear skirts..I think it is TOTALLY silly...even...let me share something with you...it laughed me really hard...when I was read newspaper published by baptist...I saw alot of young teenager woman...swims in beach with their skirt and shirt on , how image this...I dont mean to dis their viewpoint..but please come on...my wife hates skirt..know what I mean...I dont pressure anyone to purse belief in God...I just presented out what I want to share...smile thanks for sharing your feeling and viewpoint.

OMG -- the church is so totally STUPID!!!!! they should have allowed it and im sure that God would accept the modification in her communion! :thumbd: to the church dicocese for declaring it invalid!

Wow, after reading all this... I feel sorry for those people who needs the change. My church... or rather my kind of church... a christian... we have breads, but it doesn't HAVE to contain wheat... as for drinking... we drank grape juice because it is just the same as wine... really it DOESN'T matter if it is a grape juice or wine... it doesn't HAVE to contain alcohol... I mean c'mon. As for dressing from other posts... you just have to dress MODEST... look your best when you gather together to worship. You could wear a nice pair of jean with a nice buttoned shirt or a really shirt... or whatever you feel comfortable with. Well, I find most of other religious pretty silly to add rules that aren't required for the church. That was how I was raised and taught and I'm proud of this. If you'd like to know my specific of relgious... message me. :) oh Gee! lol

Back