Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is such awful news! I saw one of the pictures; it was sickening. :(

Tue 1 Nov 2005

Security patrols to prevent beheading revenge attacks

RHIANNON EDWARD

HUNDREDS of security forces patrolled tense streets in the Indonesian province of central Sulawesi yesterday to prevent revenge attacks after assailants wearing black veils beheaded three Christian schoolgirls and seriously wounded a fourth.

National police spokesman Major-General Aryanto Budihardjo said the murders were carried out by "terrorists" seeking to destabilise the area, which has long been plagued by violence between Muslims and Christians. He said it was no coincidence the attack occurred just days before the biggest holiday on the Islamic calendar.

More than 1,500 soldiers and police armed with assault rifles patrolled the town of Poso yesterday, as Muslims flocked to markets to prepare for Eid al-Fitr, which takes place on Thursday and Friday.

"The people who carried out this terrorist act hoped to spark a new cycle of violence just as relations between Muslim and Christian communities are improving," Maj-Gen Budihardjo said. So far no arrests have been made and there are no key suspects, he said. Only six people have been questioned, including the wounded teenager.

Fearing retaliations, religious leaders condemned the killings and urged calm. Both sides have refrained from blaming Muslim militants for the violence.

"Until authorities arrest the killers and disclose the motive, it's too early to say this attack was religiously motivated," said Syafi'i Ma'arif, leader of Indonesia's second largest non-political Muslim group Muhammadiyah.

"But I can say the Muslim community is shocked and deeply concerned about the inhumane killing of innocent students," he said, adding that the victims deserve justice.

Though the President, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, ordered police to track down the killers, Christian residents said yesterday they were afraid to leave their homes. "We are really scared," said Noldi, who lives in the same village as the three murdered schoolgirls. "For the time being, we're spending all day and night inside."

The injured girl, who was in stable condition at a police hospital yesterday, said six assailants wearing black veils carried out the attack as the students walked through a cocoa plantation on their way to school just outside of Poso, reported the provincial police chief Colonel Oegroseno.

The heads of the three victims were found several miles from their bodies. Two were left near a police station and another in front of a newly built Christian church.

The Vatican called the beheadings "barbaric" and said Pope Benedict XVI was praying for renewed peace in the region.

Indonesia is the world's most populous Islamic nation. Most of the country's more than 190 million Muslims practice a tolerant version of the faith, but hardline groups are increasingly making inroads.

In recent months, the country's highest Islamic body has issued a fatwa condemning liberal Islamic thought and radical groups have stepped up campaigns to prevent the country's Christian minority building more churches.

Central Sulawesi, which has a roughly equal number of Muslims and Christians, was the scene of a bloody sectarian war in 2001-2002 that killed around 1,000 people from both communities.

A government-mediated truce succeeded in ending the conflict in early 2002, though the violence never stopped completely.

A blast at a market in Poso killed 22 people, mostly Christians, in May and a bomb attack on a minivan carrying 11 Christian passengers last week injured one.

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=2176412005

"The perpetrators wore black attire and veils and used machetes to slash [the victims]," he told reporters in Jakarta. The headless bodies of the high school students, dressed in brown uniforms, were left at the site of the attack. Three heads were found at separate locations two hours later.

Yep, I am aware of Muslims killin' Christians. How sad ! :cry:
They are with Jesus now....

:barf:

The people who did this are :crazy: and so are the people who would do the same in revenge because it would lead to a cycle of violence. Why kids? :confused: Maybe they don't value kids very much and use the murders of them as tools to influence and terrorize the communities the kids are from.

whatever happened to the famous quote, "thou salt not kill"?

CyberRed said:
Yep, I am aware of Muslims killin' Christians. How sad ! :cry:
They are with Jesus now....

How you can be 100 percent sure this was carried out by Muslims? Yes, the obvious answer would be that Indonesia is an primarily Islamic nation, and there is tension between the Muslim and Christian communities there, but all we're told of the perpetrators is that there were 6 of them, dressed in black, and using machetes.

Sorry, but I think its wrong to come to our own conclusions when we're nothing more than an audience reading this from a news article.

Oh dear. That's terrible for the families of the deceased girls. I hope they'll catch the killers. It's a terrible idea to commit a vendetta in the name of religion. What they don't realise, whatever they do to innocent people, will reflect badly on millions of muslims, thus causing a rise in anti-islamic attitude. No wonder, there's a quite jump in millions of people turning against muslims even though, they wouldn't admit it.

Muslims want Holy War.
They should be attacking nonbelievers and preverts...

Not Christians and Jewishs,, geez.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Muslims want Holy War.

Nonbelievers? do u have problem with nonbelievers?

It is sad for families. I am sorry.

I have one question why anyone would think only Christians or Jews get killed by muslims? What about muslims girls or women? They get to be stoned to death if they caught break one of their law.

cental34 said:
How you can be 100 percent sure this was carried out by Muslims? Yes, the obvious answer would be that Indonesia is an primarily Islamic nation, and there is tension between the Muslim and Christian communities there, but all we're told of the perpetrators is that there were 6 of them, dressed in black, and using machetes.

Sorry, but I think its wrong to come to our own conclusions when we're nothing more than an audience reading this from a news article.

Well, I've read ad about Muslims killin' Christians. Muslims is growin'. It's all over the papers. It has to do with their religion believin' that they will go to Heaven if, they kill other people. They also use the dynamites on their bodies to blow themselves up...killin' other people.

Of course there is going to be media coverage of killings by Muslims, but my point is that we cannot be 100 percent sure that this was done by Muslims. Yeah, it likely was done by Muslim extremists, but jump to conclusions based on generalizations and media depictions is just something I think is wrong.

One of my favorite quotes is from Survivor author Chuck Palahniuk: "The only difference between suicide and martyrdom is press coverage"

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Muslims want Holy War.

The extreme Islamic terrorists call anyone who doesn't have the same beliefs as them infidels and consider them worthy targets. That includes people of all other religions as well as nonbelievers.
They're telling people not to assume that it was Muslims who did it until they find evidence about who did it, so they won't get angry at Muslims and attack them. If it turned out that it wasn't Muslims who did it, the Muslims would be angry about being attacked for no good reason and there would be unrest.
If anyone makes predictions of a Holy War and starts to do attacks like this, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

CyberRed said:
Well, I've read ad about Muslims killin' Christians. Muslims is growin'. It's all over the papers. It has to do with their religion believin' that they will go to Heaven if, they kill other people. They also use the dynamites on their bodies to blow themselves up...killin' other people.
lol...pity that they are being brainwashed.

They had no idea that they are being tricked of going to hell instead.

*shooks head*

violence doesn't solve anything, yet the muslims fails to understand this also.

cental34 said:
Of course there is going to be media coverage of killings by Muslims, but my point is that we cannot be 100 percent sure that this was done by Muslims. Yeah, it likely was done by Muslim extremists, but jump to conclusions based on generalizations and media depictions is just something I think is wrong.

One of my favorite quotes is from Survivor author Chuck Palahniuk: "The only difference between suicide and martyrdom is press coverage"

Yeah, I can totally understand. Speakin' of conclusions - I haven't made the decision if they really DID it. All I am sayin' that I am AWARE of Muslims killin' Christians -- not to be specific in depth. :)

Oh dear, It's terrible for the families of innoncent students. :( They must dead because they have different beliefs than others. They doesn't deserve it. I hope the murders will catch!!!!!!!!!!1

Back