China, Japan, and...... Voldemort?

There's not been love lost between Japan and China for a looooong time, true. I think the latest atrocities, such as the rape of Nanking, are most burning in Chinese memory, especially since there are still survivors or direct descendants of victims alive. I think China believes (with some justification) that Japan was never really held accountable for what they did in China, and that Japan never even expressed sincere remorse to China. Never-ending bad blood, and this is just the latest twist on it.

True. to a point. then again the brits never were held accountable for anything either. invading china or anyone. cant blame the japs wanting not to be held accountable when the brits got away with sheer murder for centuries. it kinda is a strange thing isnt it? one reason why japan even went into china was due to the brits going into china a half century prior and staying there. every nation that go into china did. the Germans, the brits, japan actually was invited by western nations to help. they rescued a number of brits that were going to face certain death at the hands of the chinese. Further and prior to this japan itself was happy with its force isolation. it was the American fleet and perrys black ships that forced japan under cannon to open up to the west. Thus we have the fall of the shogun and the restoration of emperor meiji whom was soon to follow in the wests footsteps very much so, as the Japanese saw with wide eyes what the hell the west was doing in china. and knew they were next if they didnt do what the west was doing. become imperial. they had little choice since the American fleet and perry. thus they sought and received aid from the west mutiple western nations qaided them, in forming an advanced modern industrial military. bent on foreign conquest. its some interesting reading here if your interested. one result of this was Japanese whiskey. which isnt that bad. Anyway if anything the Japanese empire is a direct result of American meddling in japans affairs. Its whats called the law of unintended consequences of which history is full.
i only bring this up to illustrate the descent from an isolated feudal non industrial samurai led nation to being forced to become the empire it became in less then 50 years. no other nation or peoples done such a deed. it should be lauded.
while japan was no saint it certainly was not the only monster in what was to become that world defining event wwii.
the truism here is this.
War criminals are the losers, decorated war heroes are the winners
nuke a couple of cities, one a civilian designated safe zone=war heroes
rape nanking=war criminals
ok makes sense to some
as for being accountable japans leaders were executed. nation invaded, cities nuked, after the japanse total surrender and subsequent American occupation, japans military was abolished, its religion (shinto) outlawed, (under MacArthur), japans culture completely re designed to suit western interests. i would argue thats being held accountable.
what more should the west of done? maybe a couple of more nukes? guess we had a few to spare and a few cities to test them on why not?
fine
We need to remember if japan would of choose the allies side no one not one Japanese general would of got executed at all, rape of nanking or not. china still would of been butchered. The west would not of cared, as it didn't care prior to those particular hostilities what its friends did to those like the west it conquered.
for what its worth

I did post that, cause why are they comparing a real-life event to a fake person, and I don't think it's a fair comparison, because the author of the book series made the fake person to be just that-- a fake character. Now dragging him into a real-life event is NOT the same thing as what happened in WWII and what he did. That's why this got posted-- cause WWII resulted in over 6 MILLION deaths-- he didn't kill that many people.

You don't seem to realize that to the Chinese, we Japanese have a bad history that can be comparable to something like this. They used this example as a means for others to understand easier.

This isn't stupid news. It's the fact the never ending China vs Japan feuds from history haven't healed and is a very touchy subject. I feel for the Chinese as a Japanese American. We did horrible things to the Chinese and Koreans.

However, Japanese suffered as well. It's something that older generations (most often) haven't healed from in China or Japan.

Personally, I feel those raised in Western cultures and only see history from that POV will never truly understand the "love" between China and Japan...

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

KikLove said:
I did post that, cause why are they comparing a real-life event to a fake person, and I don't think it's a fair comparison, because the author of the book series made the fake person to be just that-- a fake character. Now dragging him into a real-life event is NOT the same thing as what happened in WWII and what he did. That's why this got posted-- cause WWII resulted in over 6 MILLION deaths-- he didn't kill that many people.

You don't seem to realize that to the Chinese, we Japanese have a bad history that can be comparable to something like this. They used this example as a means for others to understand easier.

This isn't stupid news. It's the fact the never ending China vs Japan feuds from history haven't healed and is a very touchy subject. I feel for the Chinese as a Japanese American. We did horrible things to the Chinese and Koreans.

I am well aware of the bad history between the two countries. There's never been any love between the two.

True. to a point. then again the brits never were held accountable for anything either. invading china or anyone. cant blame the japs wanting not to be held accountable when the brits got away with sheer murder for centuries. it kinda is a strange thing isnt it? one reason why japan even went into china was due to the brits going into china a half century prior and staying there. every nation that go into china did. the Germans, the brits, japan actually was invited by western nations to help. they rescued a number of brits that were going to face certain death at the hands of the chinese. Further and prior to this japan itself was happy with its force isolation. it was the American fleet and perrys black ships that forced japan under cannon to open up to the west. Thus we have the fall of the shogun and the restoration of emperor meiji whom was soon to follow in the wests footsteps very much so, as the Japanese saw with wide eyes what the hell the west was doing in china. and knew they were next if they didnt do what the west was doing. become imperial. they had little choice since the American fleet and perry. thus they sought and received aid from the west mutiple western nations qaided them, in forming an advanced modern industrial military. bent on foreign conquest. its some interesting reading here if your interested. one result of this was Japanese whiskey. which isnt that bad. Anyway if anything the Japanese empire is a direct result of American meddling in japans affairs. Its whats called the law of unintended consequences of which history is full.
i only bring this up to illustrate the descent from an isolated feudal non industrial samurai led nation to being forced to become the empire it became in less then 50 years. no other nation or peoples done such a deed. it should be lauded.
while japan was no saint it certainly was not the only monster in what was to become that world defining event wwii.
the truism here is this.
War criminals are the losers, decorated war heroes are the winners
nuke a couple of cities, one a civilian designated safe zone=war heroes
rape nanking=war criminals
ok makes sense to some
as for being accountable japans leaders were executed. nation invaded, cities nuked, after the japanse total surrender and subsequent American occupation, japans military was abolished, its religion (shinto) outlawed, (under MacArthur), japans culture completely re designed to suit western interests. i would argue thats being held accountable.
what more should the west of done? maybe a couple of more nukes? guess we had a few to spare and a few cities to test them on why not?
fine
We need to remember if japan would of choose the allies side no one not one Japanese general would of got executed at all, rape of nanking or not. china still would of been butchered. The west would not of cared, as it didn't care prior to those particular hostilities what its friends did to those like the west it conquered.
for what its worth

I don't agree with parts of your post...but excellent points made.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

I am well aware of the bad history between the two countries. There's never been any love between the two.

Never any love? Some stances have been made economically...it's a start.

Wirelessly posted

China and Japan's economies have depended on each other off and on. Like I said...it's a start.

http://world.time.com/2013/12/01/china-and-japan-may-not-like-each-other-but-they-need-each-other/

arigatou gozaimasu kikii san

It was the Japanese whiskey part wasn't it?

Hoichi-the earless

Kochira koso, hoichi-san. Nihongo o hanashimasu ka?

It was the whiskey part, yes, with a few others.

I can understand their displeasure about the past. They have had many conflicts way before WWII started. Japan tried to apologize for the atrocities but some would not accept it as it was very brutal what they did to Chinese and the POW's.

After Pearl Harbor, our Government rounded up Japanese Americans in the western and put them in the internment camps. That doesn't mean they are bad people, they are good people and some served our country in the armed forces. After the war, Japan became pacifist and has not joined the war but to help the United Nations effort.

Never any love? Some stances have been made economically...it's a start.

yes but kept their distance.

Korea does not have any Japanese car and Jewish people do not drive german cars.

No Kidding?

give it one more generation or two and the past will be much more forgotten.

currently - the younger generations do not care and are very multicultural. there are lot of K-Pop celebrities going back and forth between Korea and Japan.

the older generations aka hardliners... that's a whole another different story.

give it one more generation or two and the past will be much more forgotten.

currently - the younger generations do not care and are very multicultural. there are lot of K-Pop celebrities going back and forth between Korea and Japan.

the older generations aka hardliners... that's a whole another different story.

Oh yeah.. Gotcha.

Back