Chimposiums at CWU: come meet the signing chimpanzees

BLeGal2

Reaction score
If your ever in WA state and want something fun to do, feel free to make a reservations to visit the Chimpanzee and Human Communication Institute (CHCI) in Ellensburg. This institute houses 3 chimpanzees that were cross fostered as human deaf children, so they all sign (it use to be 5, but two passed away). The sanctuary is amazing.

I am currently an apprentice at CHCI, and I have attended multiple chimposiums cause they are all different and wonderful since the chimps act differently every time.

For more information about the tours, (read the site if you will need an interpreter for your tour)

visit:

CHCI - Chimposiums

I thought for a sec there this thread said the singing chimps...

If your ever in WA state and want something fun to do, feel free to make a reservations to visit the Chimpanzee and Human Communication Institute (CHCI) in Ellensburg. This institute houses 3 chimpanzees that were cross fostered as human deaf children, so they all sign (it use to be 5, but two passed away). The sanctuary is amazing.

I am currently an apprentice at CHCI, and I have attended multiple chimposiums cause they are all different and wonderful since the chimps act differently every time.

For more information about the tours, (read the site if you will need an interpreter for your tour)

visit:

CHCI - Chimposiums

Chimpanzees are not human deaf children. It really is insulting.

Chimpanzees are not human deaf children. It really is insulting.

Yeah, what is that supposed to mean??

Please tell me you are joking? Have you never heard of Project Washoe. They were raised as human deaf children to insure that they were learning a natural language the way language is intended to be learned (by being surrounded by it) Cross fostering is when one species raises another as if they were their own species. In order for the project to express cross fostering correctly they had to be raised as human children and since their language could ONLY be ASL, they were raised as Deaf children. It is not insulting if you know what they were doing. This project was amazing. Why would raising someone as a human deaf child be insulting? They are our next of kin, use ASL and their own natural signs.

I am shocked that you are insulted cause I know tons of deaf people involved at the sanctuary and tons that support it by donations from different states.

If you look in to the background, research, and then the findings of the project, you shouldn't be offended. If any thing you should amazed because free living chimpanzees use a natural sign and they are our closest relatives, yet our species in its self banned the use of ASL for so long, forced oralism, and didn't accept ASL as a true language till the the 60s or 70s with stokoe. These chimps came before humans, using a form of sign before we had one, they had it right all along.

Back