Childs behavior

I agree. For the life of me, I do not think my speech today would be any worse if I went through all the years of speech training totally without hearing. It is the indefinable quality within oneself that enables the power of language. Of course I could be wrong.

They still make kids touch their noses, look at the mirror, feel their throats, etc. It usually trying to get us to master the phonic and sounds so when we read, we just know how to pronounce it. If it is prounounce differently, we have to be told how to pronounce it. I didn't know how to pronounce unique ... I see that word everywhere, but just don't know how say it. So my husband showed me for the first time.

if you don't have any hearing, you won't even speak or coo bah (or even "ah" if you have far very little hearing) for ball. So I can imagine therapy can be very heavy in those days. ASL is far better language for them since they won't even say bah. they can have heavy speech therapy later if they want it after they master any Language . There's no time to fool around with articulation when they need a language first.

btw, i use pronounce orange as darling. Don't ask me why. It was one of song, i knew what color orange is, but in a song, it always sounded like darling when she pointed the color orange on her chart.

I feel I need to reply here because perhaps you may see the whole point of our argument. Shel, AlleyCat and I, to name a few, having been raised oral, acquiring oral skills, are the evidence that it has everything to do with fluency in the spoken language. You can't argue that we are not fluent in spoken language.

We never said that you weren't. My point is that I know plenty of people that have oral skills and are NOT fluent in spoken language. Yes, you need oral skills to be fluent in spoken language, but you can have oral skills and NOT know the language. That is the whole point.

Again, they very well could have good "oral skills" if they had delayed language but the words that they did use sounded good. But, if they had wonderful spoken language, (the ability to understand the language, use it, tel jokes, riddles, age appropriate vocab, syntax, grammar) but "sloppy speech", they would have good spoken language but poor "oral skills".

That makes no sense. We would not have good spoken language if we had poor oral skills.

Grendel got part of it right - that oral skills include the mechanisms behind being able to speak.

If our mechanisms, saying constanants and vowels, are poor, then we would not have good spoken language.

I am like Beclak, I am leaving this too. Apparently there is an apparent refusal to understand the very obvious of developing speech which needs to take place before being fluent in a spoken language.

They still make kids touch their noses, look at the mirror, feel their throats, etc. It usually trying to get us to master the phonic and sounds so when we read, we just know how to pronounce it. If it is prounounce differently, we have to be told how to pronounce it. I didn't know how to pronounce unique ... I see that word everywhere, but just don't know how say it. So my husband showed me for the first time.

if you don't have any hearing, you won't even speak or coo bah (or even "ah" if you have far very little hearing) for ball. So I can imagine therapy can be very heavy in those days. ASL is far better language for them since they won't even say bah. they can have heavy speech therapy later if they want it after they master any Language . There's no time to fool around with articulation when they need a language first.

That has never happened once in 7 years with my daughter. Never in any of the other SLP sessions that I have observed at any of the oral deaf schools either. Nope.

She done it.. she put up a mirror, and she have asked us to feel when we are not pronouncing it correctly.... or not getting it.

They don't do this often.. like a routine. They just do it when it is necessary.

And they did it when our son , he told me about it. but only once.

It's the same thing when teachers trying to get kids to understand math, and their last resort is draw a picture or demostrate it when they are not getting it... You don't see them do this often, only when they feel a child need a different method

That makes no sense. We would not have good spoken language if we had poor oral skills.

Grendel got part of it right - that oral skills include the mechanisms behind being able to speak.

If our mechanisms, saying constanants and vowels, are poor, then we would not have good spoken language.

I am like Beclak, I am leaving this too. Apparently there is an apparent refusal to understand the very obvious of developing speech which needs to take place before being fluent in a spoken language.

Yeah, not worth the arguing. I'm just watching this thread and more ridiculous it gets the more im like.. um ok.

Let them be. We just know better. I'm perfectly satisfied with knowing that.

That has never happened once in 7 years with my daughter. Never in any of the other SLP sessions that I have observed at any of the oral deaf schools either. Nope.

it still happens. I seen one case very very recently. So, you really know it all, eh?

I'll just say this much... Theres much more happening when the parents arent around...

Word out.

Sloppy speech does not mean that you don't have good LANGUAGE. It means you just don't articulate well.

For ASL, say there is a person whose hand is partially paralyzed. His signing will be rough, and harder to understand because it looks different from typical signing. It does NOT mean that his ASL is poor, or that he isn't fluent or doesn't understand the language. It simply means that it is harder for him to physically sign. The EXACT same thing is true for spoken language. If your ability to actually say the words (oral skills) are poor, you can still have a great mastery of the THOUGHTS involved in the language itself, even though your ability to say the words is not as good as another's.

She done it.. she put up a mirror, and she have asked us to feel when we are not pronouncing it correctly.... or not getting it.

They don't do this often.. like a routine. They just do it when it is necessary.

And they did it when our son , he told me about it. but only once.

It's the same thing when teachers trying to get kids to understand math, and their last resort is draw a picture or demostrate it when they are not getting it... You don't see them do this often, only when they feel a child need a different method

Your deaf son? Each kind of speech therapy is different, depending on the reason for the therapy.

And that is what I said last night. It is different for Miss Kat because she has a CI. She does not need to go through the same mechanisms we did because she is in the speech range. We weren't, even with HAs. We had an entirely different approach to learning how to speak and use spoken language. You can disagree all you want, but it is what it is.

If you don't like how we refer to oral skills because it's different than Miss Kat's approach, then, again, this forum may not be the place for you. There are not enough here (if any, other than the select few hearing parents) to relate to your experiences, whereas all the rest of us, who are prelingually deaf, had it entirely different.

Your deaf son? Each kind of speech therapy is different, depending on the reason for the therapy.

He's hearing. There's a reason why she did it, but for his privacy's sake, I won't mention. But I can tell you, it is still done.

Yeah, not worth the arguing. I'm just watching this thread and more ridiculous it gets the more im like.. um ok.

Let them be. We just know better. I'm perfectly satisfied with knowing that.

Yes, I'm done too! :) Did you drink yourself happy last night ??? ;)

And that is what I said last night. It is different for Miss Kat because she has a CI. She does not need to go through the same mechanisms we did because she is in the speech range. We weren't, even with HAs. We had an entirely different approach to learning how to speak and use spoken language. You can disagree all you want, but it is what it is.

If you don't like how we refer to oral skills because it's different than Miss Kat's approach, then, again, this forum may not be the place for you. There are not enough here (if any, other than the select few hearing parents) to relate to your experiences, whereas all the rest of us, who are prelingually deaf, had it entirely different.

That. Some people need to get a clue and learn to respect...

it still happens. I seen one case very very recently. So, you really know it all, eh?

I'll just say this much... Theres much more happening when the parents arent around...

Word out.

I would never allow it to happen in my daughter's therapy session unless they told me a very good reason. That type of therapy technique is very old and not in keeping with current research and best practices with deaf children.

I would never allow it to happen in my daughter's therapy session unless they told me a very good reason. That type of therapy technique is very old and not in keeping with current research and best practices with deaf children.

Yeah, another thing i am grateful for... not having a set of parents that micromanaged my life...

Back