Children 'harmed' by vegan diets

Vance

Reaction score
Putting children on strict vegan diets is "unethical" and could harm their development, a US scientist has argued.

Lindsay Allen, of the US Agricultural Research Service, attacked parents who insisted their children lived by the maxim "meat is murder".

Animal source foods have some nutrients not found anywhere else, she told a Washington science conference.

The Vegan Society dismissed the claims, saying its research showed vegans were often healthier than meat eaters.

'Development affected'

Professor Allen said: "There have been sufficient studies clearly showing that when women avoid all animal foods, their babies are born small, they grow very slowly and they are developmentally retarded, possibly permanently."

"If you're talking about feeding young children, pregnant women and lactating women, I would go as far as to say it is unethical to withhold these foods [animal source foods] during that period of life."

She was especially critical of parents who imposed a vegan lifestyle on their children, denying them milk, cheese, butter and meat.

"There's absolutely no question that it's unethical for parents to bring up their children as strict vegans," she told the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).

Missing nutrients

She said the damage to a child began while it was growing in the womb and continued once it had been born.

Research she carried out among African schoolchildren suggests as little as two spoonfuls of meat each day is enough to provide nutrients such as vitamin B12, zinc and iron.

The 544 children studied had been raised on diets chiefly consisting of starchy, low-nutrition corn and bean staples lacking these micronutrients.

Over two years, some of the children were given 2oz supplements of meat each day, equivalent to about two spoonfuls of mince.

Two other groups received either a cup of milk a day or an oil supplement containing the same amount of energy. The diet of a fourth group was left unaltered.

The changes seen in the children given the meat, and to a lesser extent the milk or oil, were dramatic.

These children grew more and performed better on problem-solving and intelligence tests than any of the other children at the end of the two years.

They also became more active, talkative and playful at school.

Adding either meat or milk to the diets also almost completely eliminated the very high rates of vitamin B12 deficiency previously seen in the children.

No quick fixes

Professor Allen stressed that although the study was conducted in a poor African community, its message was highly relevant to people in developed countries.

She accepted that adults could avoid animal foods if they took the right supplements, but she said adding animal source food into the diet was a better way to tackle malnutrition worldwide than quick fixes with supplements in the form of pills.

"Where feasible, it would be much better to do it through the diet than by giving pills," she said.

"With pills it's very hard to be certain that the quantity of nutrition is right for everybody and it's hard to sustain."

In Africa, good results had been obtained from giving people a dried meat on a stick snack which proved both nutritious and appealing.

Professor Montague Demment, from the University of California at Davis, said more emphasis should be placed on animal source food to combat global malnutrition.

Vegan defence

However, the claims have been dismissed by the Vegan Society in the UK.

In a statement, it said increasing numbers of people were opting for a plant-based diet.

Kostana Azmi, the chief executive officer, said: "The vegan diet can provide you with more energy, nutrition, and is bursting with goodness."

She said plant sources were sometimes a safer, and cheaper source of nutrients.

For instance, animal sources of omega-3 oils, needed for the development of the brain and nervous system, were often contaminated with pollutants, such as mercury in fish.

In addition, the vegan diet was often a healthier alternative. She said dairy and meat products were rich in saturated fat, while plant based diets were low in it.

The society does recommend that vegans supplement their diet with vitamin B-12 pills.

The US Agricultural Research Service is part of the US Department of Agriculture.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4282257.stm

Heh. I have no hard facts to back this up, but it's my opinion that strict vegetarian diets could be detrimental to a child's development. I know there are children on vegetarian diets ( my niece for instance), who aren't harmed by it. However, there are many different types of vegetarian diets ranging from strict vegan to something along the lines of restricting beef and eating poultry and eggs. I think young children should be exposed to a variety of foods including meat. Then, when they are older, they can choose what type of diet they want to follow. The exception to this, of course, is the child who must be on a vegetarian diet for medical reasons like my neice and other children. They simply must follow a vegetarian diet for health reasons. Otherwise, serious harm could result.

Oceanbreeze, good post. I'd like to discuss about this but I am bit wary because of its sensitive issue for some parents.

But if I have my own kid(s), I wouldn't let them to be vegetarian in my place until s/he is 18 years old or old enough to make his/her own decisions from there.

Magatsu said:
Oceanbreeze, good post. I'd like to discuss about this but I am bit wary because of its sensitive issue for some parents.

But if I have my own kid(s), I wouldn't let them to be vegetarian in my place until s/he is 18 years old or old enough to make his/her own decisions from there.

I actually agree with you. Like I said, I have no hard data to back this up, but I feel strongly that a child must have a varied diet unless there's a medical reason to restrict; such as the case with my niece. If she gets too much protein, a substance called phenylanine will build up in her system and cause mental defects. She is mostly on a high carb diet along with her "medical food" ( a type of milk formula that supplies her with all her nutrients), and she is a healthy, happy 3.5 yo.
If you would like to discuss this with me, Magatsu. Please feel free to shoot me a PM. I certainly wouldn't mind. :)

Yeah, I agree with you about these issues as well.

Concerning about vegan diet/PM, sure I'd love to discuss it over with you sometimes ;)

I am disappointed... We should not believe everything what it says in the newpapers because meat factories still lie to us because of money. I am veggie since I was 12 years old. I usually eat egg and fish. I am still healthy and look young.

Remember - a meat factory owner tried to sue Oprah (TV show) because she said that a meat is not good for her. Fortunately, she won the case. That is her choice whatever she wants to eat meat or not. What about Mad Cow Dieases?

By eating a lot of meats in your body, the more acids in your stomach cause health problems. There are a lot of 'natural' acid in the meat in order to kill germs which is good (of course after cooked), but they are not designed for human to eat them. I don't feel like to go in the detail because I respect what you prefer to eat. Ok.

webexplorer, I was a vegetarian for several years (during teenager). Vegetarian diet almost destroyed one of my organs... I lost lots of muscles and weight (down to pathetic 138 lbs from 191 lbs). I decided to research and research... I realized that meats are good to eat as long as it is organic and pasture-feed. That's important fact for everyone to acknowledge. Anyway I can no longer tolerate the vegatarian diet and its devastating effects (along many numbers of illnesses that I had which I never have during 'america' diet). To save my life by ignoring the 'ethic' about killing animals and change to other diet -- actually under organic laws, animal cruelity is not allowed. But no luck with different diets like 40/30/30 and such for few years until I stumbled on this high meat/high fat diet.. I tried and I finally got my weight & muscles back, I weighed myself and it is 182 lbs. I had this underweight problem for several years because of vegetarian diet. I soon will have to workout to build my muscles back that I lost to vegetarian diet. I went through the hard life of vegetarian diet so I know what it feels like and such.

IMHO, the newspaper didn't lie... there are plenty numbers of books/studies support that as well. The numbers of studies are nearly infinite. I am talking about meats and its wonderful benefits (as long as it is organic and pasture-feed).

About Oprah, yeah, that's conventional meat farm for you. I am not surprised. Organic & pasture-feed farms haven't recieve any mad cow diseases unlikely conventional meat farms. That is a big difference.

Thanks for sharing your opinion and I respect you and your viewpoint as well. If it works for you then great! But it does not work for me and many people that I know.

Edit: Oh yes, I want to add one thing.. thinking about animals and killing disturb me and my conscience greatly daily whenever I eat the meats but my body required this kind of diet so I followed my body and its 'order'. To share the philosophical viewpoint, our bodies do not care about ethic and whatsnot, all it does care that we feed our bodies what it requires and what it needs. Once we did, our bodies will serve our wishes whatever we wish from our bodies.

Last edited:
Magatsu said:
webexplorer, I was a vegetarian for several years (during teenager). Vegetarian diet almost destroyed one of my organs... I lost lots of muscles and weight (down to pathetic 138 lbs from 191 lbs). I decided to research and research... I realized that meats are good to eat as long as it is organic and pasture-feed. That's important fact for everyone to acknowledge. Anyway I can no longer tolerate the vegatarian diet and its devastating effects (along many numbers of illnesses that I had which I never have during 'america' diet). To save my life by ignoring the 'ethic' about killing animals and change to other diet -- actually under organic laws, animal cruelity is not allowed. But no luck with different diets like 40/30/30 and such for few years until I stumbled on this high meat/high fat diet.. I tried and I finally got my weight & muscles back, I weighed myself and it is 182 lbs. I had this underweight problem for several years because of vegetarian diet. I soon will have to workout to build my muscles back that I lost to vegetarian diet. I went through the hard life of vegetarian diet so I know what it feels like and such.

Thanks for sharing your opinion and I respect you and your viewpoint as well. If it works for you then great! But it does not work for me and many people that I know.

Edit: Oh yes, I want to add one thing.. thinking about animals and killing disturb me and my conscience greatly daily whenever I eat the meats but my body required this kind of diet so I followed my body and its 'order'. To share the philosophical viewpoint, our bodies do not care about ethic and whatsnot, all it does care that we feed our bodies what it requires and what it needs. Once we did, our bodies will serve our wishes whatever we wish from our bodies.

Your edit to your post says it best, but wanted to commend you on your efforts nonetheless & to let you know not to feel that badly; of all people, even the Dali Lama cannot physiologically sustain a vegetarian diet.

Magatsu said:
webexplorer, I was a vegetarian for several years (during teenager). Vegetarian diet almost destroyed one of my organs... I lost lots of muscles and weight (down to pathetic 138 lbs from 191 lbs).

I decided to research and research... I realized that meats are good to eat as long as it is organic and pasture-feed. That's important fact for everyone to acknowledge. Anyway I can no longer tolerate the vegatarian diet and its devastating effects (along many numbers of illnesses that I had which I never have during 'america' diet). To save my life by ignoring the 'ethic' about killing animals and change to other diet -- actually under organic laws, animal cruelity is not allowed. But no luck with different diets like 40/30/30 and such for few years until I stumbled on this high meat/high fat diet.. I tried and I finally got my weight & muscles back, I weighed myself and it is 182 lbs. I had this underweight problem for several years because of vegetarian diet. I soon will have to workout to build my muscles back that I lost to vegetarian diet. I went through the hard life of vegetarian diet so I know what it feels like and such.

Wow, you are such similar with my son. I have been so worried about him because he lost alot of weight since he stopped to eating the meat over a year now. He is only 19 years old. His hair thinner and decrease muscles. He really needs to eating alot of protein. He does eat the protein like peanut butter, nuts and veggie burger. He is very against to seeing or hearing about kill the animals. That is how, he stopped to eat the meats since he was in sophomore year.

He does not eat much veggies or fruits either. I am worried about him what he eats daily. I had to force him to eat when I came home from work. I checked on him to make sure, he eats something. I do cooked grilled cheese or cheese pizza.

I am very frustrated with him !

My sister is veggie since she was about 12, and she is now a little bit fat. She is 44 years old. I will email her about your situation. She is in Florida for winter season. There is something not right about your diet because you must have ate the wrong kind food. I am really surprised to hear your situation. Can you give me list of foods that you eat (veggies)?

webexplorer said:
There is something not right about your diet because you must have ate the wrong kind food.

For those who thinks that veggies are terrible, please think twice. Look at me. I have been veggie almost all of my life since birth. I am still healthy as a hulk. I was raised by a deaf vegetarian folks. There are five different levels of vegetarian as follows:

1) VEGANS: Strict vegetarians who eat only plant-based foods.

2) LACTO-VEGETARIANS: Vegetarians who consume milk products as part of their diet.

3) LACTO-OVO VEGETARIANS: Vegetarians who consume milk products and eggs.

4) MACROBIOTIC VEGETARIANS: Vegetarians who focus on eating whole grains, sea vegetables and fish-based animal products.

5) SEMI-VEGETARIANS: This group often consumes poultry, fish and dairy products. They may eat little or no red meat.

I'm lacto-ovo-veggie guy, #3 above.

webexplorer, you are exactly right to the bull target! It is based on what they eat that caused their healths to deteriorated. You would have to eat plenty of fresh greens and fruits. They are available in any food supermarket stores. I go to Walmart and are great in low prices. Organic foods are always the best. Stay away from canned and low-carb foods as those are "processed" or "fried", made by "man" (not by Mother's Nature). Not just veggie foods, you would need good sleep, plenty of physical excerises to keep your health in a tip-top shape.

~DV

lostintexas said:
Your edit to your post says it best, but wanted to commend you on your efforts nonetheless & to let you know not to feel that badly; of all people, even the Dali Lama cannot physiologically sustain a vegetarian diet.
Thanks for this information! I'm relieved to know that even the Dali Lama couldn't live on vegetarian diet. Again, thanks.

Sabrina said:
Wow, you are such similar with my son. I have been so worried about him because he lost alot of weight since he stopped to eating the meat over a year now. He is only 19 years old. His hair thinner and decrease muscles. He really needs to eating alot of protein. He does eat the protein like peanut butter, nuts and veggie burger. He is very against to seeing or hearing about kill the animals. That is how, he stopped to eat the meats since he was in sophomore year.

He does not eat much veggies or fruits either. I am worried about him what he eats daily. I had to force him to eat when I came home from work. I checked on him to make sure, he eats something. I do cooked grilled cheese or cheese pizza.

I am very frustrated with him !
I only wish that I can get my mom to talk to you about that or help you to find a solution or something. She had a hard time with my younger brother who went through almost the same situation your son is in. My younger brother refused to eat certain foods. My mom thought that it was temporary, but it did not seem to be so. So, she decided to take action by forcing him to eat. How? For example, if my younger brother refused to eat scrambled eggs... then she (my mom) would let it go, but warned him that he will have to eat his food whenever he came back from school. When my younger brother came back from school and wanted to eat snacks, my mom gave him his cold scrambled eggs and said, "eat this first". My younger brother refused once again. My mom took it back and put it in fridge to save for dinner. When dinnertime came, my younger brother was getting hungrier because of no breakfast and snacks. He wanted to eat macaroni & cheese (that we were eating for that dinner). My mom gave him his cold scrambled eggs. My younger brother was still stubborn and refused then my mom saved it for next day morning.

It took almost two weeks to 'break' (literally) him down. He finally gave in and ate the good foods that my mom cooked. He eventually gained the 'old' weight back. My mom said that this method may be a bit harsh, but that was the only way for my younger brother to give in and consume good foods. That's why she shared this story with me when I told her about you and your son's situation. I am not sure what to say or how to help you out so I asked my mother for advice and she explained to me about it. I hope that this 'story' will help you somewhat. I am worried about your son and his health as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
webexplorer said:
My sister is veggie since she was about 12, and she is now a little bit fat. She is 44 years old. I will email her about your situation. She is in Florida for winter season. There is something not right about your diet because you must have ate the wrong kind food. I am really surprised to hear your situation. Can you give me list of foods that you eat (veggies)?
Vegetarian diet can be affect in different ways.. in some cases, it may make any people fatter... in some cases, it can make people losing the weights... in some cases, it can trigger the diabetic conditions in people...

And no, I didn't eat the wrong foods. It is virtually impossible because of my researches and vegetarian books that I read. Like.. Bragg, Dr. Weil, etc etc etc... When I was young and vegetarian, I didn't eat the 'dead' foods (canned, processed, TV foods, etc... In fact, I never eat the 'dead' foods for almost ten years now). Organic and fresh veggies included fermented veggies, fruits, fermented beans, etc... Many different.. I tried and tried but my body cannot sustain a vegetarian diet no matter what. My skin became so dry, lots of dandruffs, so easy to have nose bleeding, constantly nose running, etc etc... I did everything as what these well-known vegetarians did (Bragg, Dr. Weil, and others.. I forget the names). I had consulted with two well-known vegetarians (Dr. Weil and Dr. Coulder? [I believe I misspelled]) and they said my vegetarian diet was sounding...

but my body simply cannot sustain a vegetarian diet.

DeafVeggie said:
For those who thinks that veggies are terrible, please think twice. Look at me. I have been veggie almost all of my life since birth. I am still healthy as a hulk. I was raised by a deaf vegetarian folks. There are five different levels of vegetarian as follows:

1) VEGANS: Strict vegetarians who eat only plant-based foods.

2) LACTO-VEGETARIANS: Vegetarians who consume milk products as part of their diet.

3) LACTO-OVO VEGETARIANS: Vegetarians who consume milk products and eggs.

4) MACROBIOTIC VEGETARIANS: Vegetarians who focus on eating whole grains, sea vegetables and fish-based animal products.

5) SEMI-VEGETARIANS: This group often consumes poultry, fish and dairy products. They may eat little or no red meat.

I'm lacto-ovo-veggie guy, #3 above.

webexplorer, you are exactly right to the bull target! It is based on what they eat that caused their healths to deteriorated. You would have to eat plenty of fresh greens and fruits. They are available in any food supermarket stores. I go to Walmart and are great in low prices. Organic foods are always the best. Stay away from canned and low-carb foods as those are "processed" or "fried", made by "man" (not by Mother's Nature). Not just veggie foods, you would need good sleep, plenty of physical excerises to keep your health in a tip-top shape.

~DV
I agree with some of your points. Organic and fresh is very important but I did everything and more what you mentioned in your post. If it works for you then wonderful! But it does NOT work for many people and me. More and more researches revealed that in vegetarian/vegan community, diabetes rate is very higher when compare to 'common' or 'conventional' America diet or rather, shall we call it 'SAD' - Standard American Diet? I was a vegetarian for 5 years.. that was quite long so I believe I do know what I talked about and I saw what it did to me... everyone I know said I looked so awful.

Anyway, I switched to organic and pasture-feed high meat/high fats diet three months ago and it works (actually, it is more than just high meats/high fats.. but I refuse to disclose, many people are not ready for this information. I did tried at one of communities and close-mindedness spread out faster than wildfire spreads in dry land. No offense to all of you, I am NOT talking about you guys, I was talking about other community that I had to put up with when I let this information out...). Many people thought that I am 18 years old or younger but in fact, I am bit older than that. When I was a vegetarian, I used to use the lotion almost daily but changed to high meat/high fats diet, I no longer need to use the lotion... my skin is in very, very excellent condition (HUGE thanks to good fats). In few days ago, I weighted myself and I FINALLY reached my 'old' weight... and I plan to weightlift right after the spring break week so I am exciting about it.

Again, DeafVeggie and webexplorer (or any vegetarians/vegans), if it works for you then wonderful! I cannot say that you are lucky but keep it up and like what Mr. Spock said, "Live long and prosper".

I am going to post the links which contains lots of references and informations about vegetarian diet.. it is obviously anti-vegetarian diet so any vegetarians/vegans, you don't have to check this out if you don't want to but it will be very nice if you people can post the pro-vegetarian diet links to balance out this two links... (actually, I have many more but these links are long plus lots of references and informations and can be overwhelmed for some people.. so I didn't)

http://www.biblelife.org/animal_rights.htm -- (warning note: it may offend some vegetarians/vegans so take care and it contains lots of references and such)

http://www.biblelife.org/myths.htm -- Nutritional Myths, Distortions and Lies That Will Destroy Your Health

Have fun.

Last edited:
Basically, we should be feeding our children everything from the food pyramid. Leaving some out can cause growth problems.

I want to sympathize to others who were unable to live up with veggie. Veggie is considered as the best and closest to Mother's Nature foods. There is no way I can teach you on this AD of how to follow the proper veggie food dietary. I am just showing you what I have been eating. It's best if you attend a food preparation workshop in your local town to teach you actual "hands-on" experiences of what to eat. Those workshops can be found at any health foods store and Seventh-Day Adventist (SDA) activity that includes potlucks.

if I have my own kid(s), I wouldn't let them to be vegetarian in my place until s/he is 18 years old or old enough to make his/her own decisions from there.

I encourge you not to force your kids what to eat. There is really no harm if your kids are eating vegetables and fruits or veggies. You could mixed with veggie and rBGH-free (no chemicals) meat if you wish. Fish is very good because it contains Omega-3, and also good for cooked eggs.

Check and compare the packages (both veggie and meat) for proteins. Most are about the same amount of proteins. There is no harm. If you think that something wrong with your health, then something is not right about the food product that you bought because you did not tell us what you often eat. We are not trying to brainwash you. The food companies are tricky because they want to make sure that you buy their own products. It is always about profit, and they don't give a damn about our health. Of course, I respect you. Smile.

Back