Children calling their parents

Oh, ok, that is much clearer, sorry. "Rather" indicates/says/suggests they are not calling you Mommy.....:D

Gotcha, thats what I thought. glad you point this out, anyway.

I've come across a lot of people that find it disrespectful. Just out of curiosity, what about it makes it feel disrespectful to you? Does it just rub you the wrong way or is there a deeper cultural meaning I'm missing?

No nothing cultural there for me... but I think Reba gave a very special meaning to the word MUM / DAD (whether that is mama, mummy, papa, daddy, ...) You are proud to be a mum/dad after all :D It's just the feeling that I have...

If parents don't mind their children calling them by their given name so be it. Everybody has the right to pick whichever they like.

The thing is that in the documentary that one mother clearly felt offended when her 12 year old (I think he was 12) started calling her by her given name. She didn't like him doing it and she couldn't understand why her son changed his attitude. I think for him it also had to do with some teenager rebelling or something along the line ;)

our kid call us mom and dad. When he was a toddler, it used to be mama and dada, then as he grew older, it was mommy and daddy. It was so cute.

mummy reminds me of Egyptian mummy. I could never figure out why some kids all their mother, mummy.

Nor why aunt is pronounced as Ant instead of AUnt.

"mum/mummy" - it's English
in America - it's "mom/mommy"

Last night I was watching a documentary about the following subject:

What should your children be calling you? ("you" as in "parent")

I was pretty surprised to learn that quite a few kids called their parents by their given name. I could understand where they were coming from, when the parents explained, that the kids just caught it off from other people calling the parents by their given name.

They mainly seemed to be shrugging it off because personally I would feel "offended" if my kids wouldn't call me mum or mummy. I can't give an explanation as to why I feel this way either; probably just because I'd just want/expect them to refer to me as mum and because I would be the mum after all :cool2:

What do you think? Or do you think that their is an age that you would agree your child to call you by your given name? *shrug*

It was quite a documentary (not a debate or talk show...)

ETA: If the parent is a step-mother/step-father I can totally understand the child calling her/him by their given name

good lord! I wouldn't like it if my own kids call me by my name. it would break my heart :lol:

interesting fact for ya'all -
-in Korea... the young'ins do not call the elders or older peers by their names... including siblings and cousins.
-The mother does not address other mother by their name as well. For example, if this mother wants to talk to Reba, she addresses her with Reba's child name plus "mom" like this - "John's Mom"
-Informally... it's fine for friend to address his/her friend by their name. In Korean language - there are 2 kinds.... the informal and formal.... almost like Spanish for male and female version (ie. amigo - amiga) :dizzy:
-in a group of friends - each friend's age vary so usually the younger one may not address the older friend by his name out of respect

Some of my Korean friends and my brother's Korean friends do not address me by my name :roll:

I think they should just relax and loosen up! :lol:

good lord! I wouldn't like it if my own kids call me by my name. it would break my heart :lol:

interesting fact for ya'all -
-in Korea... the young'ins do not call the elders or older peers by their names... including siblings and cousins.
-The mother does not address other mother by their name as well. For example, if this mother wants to talk to Reba, she addresses her with Reba's child name plus "mom" like this - "John's Mom"
-Informally... it's fine for friend to address his/her friend by their name. In Korean language - there are 2 kinds.... the informal and formal.... almost like Spanish for male and female version (ie. amigo - amiga) :dizzy:
-in a group of friends - each friend's age vary so usually the younger one may not address the older friend by his name out of respect

Some of my Korean friends and my brother's Korean friends do not address me by my name :roll:

I think they should just relax and loosen up! :lol:

Interesting, yet rather confusing :giggle: Really wonder how the first one is supposed to work *shrug*

So what do your brother's friends call ya??? Jiro? :wave:

My kids call one set of grandparents Me-Me and Papaw the other set is Grandmama and Papa.

I called my grandparents. Grandma and Granddaddy. The other set were called Maw-maw and Paw-paw. :)

Interesting, yet rather confusing :giggle: Really wonder how the first one is supposed to work *shrug*
when addressing directly to older peer, you use the proper term for it depending on gender.

For ie -
if a young male addresses to older male - he says "h-yong"
if a young female addresses to older male - she says "oo-bah"
if a young male addresses to older female - he says "noo-nah"
if a young female addresses to older female - she says "un-ni"

and... more headache... :lol:

if a nephew/niece addresses to aunt - he/she says "ee-mo"
if a nephew/niece addresses to one's uncle's wife - he/she says "soong-mo"
if a grandchild addresses to grandma - he/she says "hal-muh-nee"
if a relative addresses to uncle (dad's side) - he/she says "sam-choon"
if a relative addresses to uncle (mom's side) - he/she says "kun-abaji"

(and this is barely just a scratch on the surface) :dizzy:

So what do your brother's friends call ya??? Jiro? :wave:
My brother and his friends address me as "h-yong". My old Korean best friend addresses me that way too. :dunno:

I address my cousins/relatives in Korea as above but to my cousins who are very Californian - I address them by their names.

Wow! So each culture pretty much has a respectable name for their elders.

Would you introduce the President as "This is Barrack"?...Don't think so! And out of respect for your parents, it should be "This is my mother/Mom/Mamma" etc., same as for ur father/grandparents/family members.

I would probably introduce him as "This is Barack Obama, the president of the United States." Likewise I would introduce my parents as "this is my mother/father, Full Name."

I guess it's just different points of view.

when addressing directly to older peer, you use the proper term for it depending on gender.

For ie -
if a young male addresses to older male - he says "h-yong"
if a young female addresses to older male - she says "oo-bah"
if a young male addresses to older female - he says "noo-nah"
if a young female addresses to older female - she says "un-ni"

and... more headache... :lol:

if a nephew/niece addresses to aunt - he/she says "ee-mo"
if a nephew/niece addresses to one's uncle's wife - he/she says "soong-mo"
if a grandchild addresses to grandma - he/she says "hal-muh-nee"
if a relative addresses to uncle (dad's side) - he/she says "sam-choon"
if a relative addresses to uncle (mom's side) - he/she says "kun-abaji"

(and this is barely just a scratch on the surface) :dizzy:

My brother and his friends address me as "h-yong". My old Korean best friend addresses me that way too. :dunno:

I address my cousins/relatives in Korea as above but to my cousins who are very Californian - I address them by their names.

:shock::dizzy:

Jiro: that sure is confusing... but maybe just for us. If you're used to it I guess you're pretty comfortable using all those names ;) I learnt something today :D

Jiro: that sure is confusing... but maybe just for us. If you're used to it I guess you're pretty comfortable using all those names ;) I learnt something today :D

nope not at all. I don't have any close relative families around me.

Weird! I replied to this thread, I did, I did!
My parents still make me call them "mummy" and "daddy" and I am over 30. It's embarassing. I'd go for mum, etc. but I am not going to stand in a public place and shout "daddy" to my 70+year old father, it makes me sound like a whinging socialite "daddy buy me a pony" type. They seem to have realised they messed this one up too, now, as my sister calls them by their first names and in emails they refer to each other by initials, your father, himself, you know who, etc. All very challenging.

My mum is now sufficiently deaf and my dad sufficiently drunk not to have to worry about how I refer to either of them, as I now call my mum by going over and tapping her on the shoulder.

My Son used to call me Mama but not all the time instead he calls me Mommy. There has been few times he has called my name but I have told him that it's not okay, that he can't call by my name, that kids do not call their parent's name. He got it and never called my name again. He now calls me Mommy most of the time, but if he gets frustrated or angry, he would shout Mama!

When I was little girl, I used to call my parents Mommy/Daddy... but then when I turned 10 and older, I started calling them Mom and Dad.... and to this day, I still call them Mom and Dad.... out of respect. I would never call them Mother or Father... to me it sounds harsh and I would never call their names.... however I would tell my friends my parent's name.... I introduce them by saying, "This is my parents, Mr. Witt and Mrs. Witt" If my parents really likes this person or so, they would tell this person to call them by their name.

Wirelessly posted

Jiro - wow, that's pretty headache for me! :dizzy:

Anyway... yeah, I always call my mom, "mom", sometimes, "mother". I almost never call her "mommy". :)

Well, a few times, she and I did fight, I called her by her first name. Eheh... that was when I was only pre-teen kid. :P

I still call my dear mom, "mom" or "mother". :)

If I have my kids, I prefer they call me "mom", "mommy", "mama", and "mother". I don't mind at all! :D

Interesting...

Curious: have you ever asked him why? How does your hubby feel about it? Though I don't know your husband's real name, I guess that Mac is also just a nickname... What do you think about it? Does is bother you or not? :D Feel free to answer or not...

As said, I'm just curious and not judgmental ;)

QUOTE]

He is only 4 years old and he hears my daughter and myself calling him Mac so he is just following what he hears. LOL!

Ok now's an interesting question...What about sign language?

I mean in English there's like four or more different ways to call mother. Mom, mommy, mama, etc. for example.

How does that work in sign language or among deaf culture? Seems like we aren't given much to pick from. Since there's like one sign for each member of family. :-/

My niece let her son call her my her first name , I was shoked to hear it as we were never allowed to call my parents or adults by their first names
growing up! I think when a kid call a parent by their first name it take away the parents authority , it is like the parents is trying to be a cool friend and not a parent!

Back