Child leashes

marcyp06

Reaction score
How do you feel about child leashes? I have always been very against them and looked down on parents that use them. My reasons for not liking them are because I think kids deserve freedom to walk around and... they also need to learn discipline and to listen and stay close. That is why I dont like always using strollers or carts too. If a kid can never walk around on their own they will never learn to stay near you. Also many parents use them as a babysitter of sorts so they dont have to pay attention to their kid as much.

Today a good friend posted on facebook that she bought one of the backpacks with attached leash for her daughter and wanted to hear peoples thoughts. My first reaction was YUCK BAD IDEA!

But then I started to think about it. Her daughter (my "niece") is deaf. When a hearing child is walking towards traffic or another dangerous situation, or is just too far away, the parent yells that childs name and the kid stops and turns around. It doesnt work that way with a deaf child. I know that she is a good mother and will not use this aid inapropriately or be lazy.

How do YOU feel?

Children are not pets or animals nor should they be treated like they are. This is no different for a Deaf child. You learn to teach them to be aware. Deaf people are far more aware of their surroundings, naturally, than hearie kids. It's innate.

She has a very active 4 year old to keep track of and no matter how good a child listens, sometimes thsy get distracted or excited and forget and take off. With baby only 15 months if both kids are going opposite directions it is hard and scary. And yes of course always work with kids to listen and learn to stay by parent and respect rules but so young not fully understand yet.

I used one sparingly when my kids were toddlers. Mainly at the mall. It gave them the freedom to walk (w/o having to hold my hand) w/o my "losing" them which can happen in the blink of an eye in a store. I did not use it as a "babysitter".

If used as an extra bit of security when they're very young, again toddlers, I think it's ok.

Since I have never asked anyone using one, I am not sure what their reasons were...but I would assume that it is more out of fear that the kid will wander off, or will be snatched by someone. And to me, that is a valid fear in crowded public places. As for teaching kids to stay with you, and listen to you...well, in theory that sounds great, but in reality, the way their little brains are wired, it doesn't work. At least not in the early years. What the other poster said is right, it only takes one second for you to have your eyes off them, and they are GONE!!!

I have never looked down at any parents who have kids with leashes. It's their businesses and not mine. It depends on every individuals handle and approach with their children.

I was born profoundly deaf and very active girl. My parents didnt put a leash on me since they kept holding my hands or yelling at me when i know they really mean it. Now I have two kids and did not put leash on each of my kids because i did yell at them explaining why i was worried or so. I kept holding my kids hands no matter what if they dislike it until they get the message then let them go and free.

Again, I wouldn't look down at any parents who put leashes on kids. nothing else.

With all the kidnappings/sexual abuse and Amber Alerts these days, I see nothing wrong with a child leash if the child is hyperactive or in a public place where there are a lot of strange people.

Parents who are in wheel chairs or have mobility problems. A child leash helps tremendously if the toddler is apt to run, is deaf and cannot hear. Keeping your child close by is not only for the safe guard of your child, it's for your peace of mind that your child is with you at all times. It only takes a few seconds for you to look the other way, and your child would be gone.

I can see using a tether if the child is a toddler, but, no older. Like some have said, it's not a bad thing if used wisely.

With all the kidnappings/sexual abuse and Amber Alerts these days, I see nothing wrong with a child leash if the child is hyperactive or in a public place where there are a lot of strange people.

Parents who are in wheel chairs or have mobility problems. A child leash helps tremendously if the toddler is apt to run, is deaf and cannot hear. Keeping your child close by is not only for the safe guard of your child, it's for your peace of mind that your child is with you at all times. It only takes a few seconds for you to look the other way, and your child would be gone.

Ironically, I never thought of this. This would be a good example of when using a tether would be a good idea! Thanks for teaching me something I didn't think of (but should have known about! lol) :)

I had a harness for my older daughter. My younger was born when she was two years old.

My older daughter had massive problems with motor skills and I could take them to the mall and let her practice walking, and by use of the harness and leash prevent most of her falls.

It was great for us.

I used to say "NO WAY."

Then I became a mother. "Hell, yeah." My first child, I never had to use it because she was SO good about staying with me. Second kid- whoa. She had wings on her shoes.

I have used them for outdoor festivals. amusement parks, Concerts, and other crowed places. they worked great... and the child had that little extra freedom of not having to hold my hand.

I used to think before I had my own kids that harnesses were used by parents that could not control their children and to me at the time, it was shameful. But then I had my first child who had food intolerances that would set her off doing random, unexpected things (ie: one time someone I knew offered her a lollypop/candy, and the next thing I knew she darted up the stairs and jumped on a chair and was halfway out a open second storey window before I could yell 'Grab her'. Fortunately for me and my child who was then 2 years old, that someone did, and had prevented her from falling out the window). From that day on, I had her on a harness whenever in public, until she grew too big for it. (I also sought out a diagnosis of her intolerances). As with my other children when they were small, it was for safety reasons in crowded places and airports etc.

It's not bothering me because the reason is safe! :)

I did bought two set of it and it was worth it for my oldest child. Now he is way too old for it! LOL! Now I have toddler, and I will have to buy a new set soon. So that he can walk around with me...he can walk free at the park and stay close by with me or daddy or grandparent. Other than that outdoor festivals. amusement parks, store (depend which store) and other crowed places (such as mall, etc), etc we will be using the harness.

I do not do that to my kids! Putting leashes on toddler gives them an excuse to not discipline their own children.

Back