Chickens....

overthepond

Reaction score
Meet Nutmeg, Clover and Ginger, my new chickens, I got them on saturday, they are Pekin frizzle (Nutmeg and Clover) and Ginger is a Pekin. The frizzles have feather growing the opposite direction to the usual chickens... actually they really are Bantams.

I will have delightful few years with them, Ginger had shown so much character and I think she will keep me on my toes!!

They are not quite ready to start laying eggs, Clover is about 15 weeks, her face had just started to turn red which means she will start laying eggs fairly soon. Ginger and Nutmeg probably won't be laying eggs until end of August as they are 11 weeks old.

My friend who has got 3 chickens too, I have sampled the pekin's eggs (cooked of course!), lots of yolk not much white which I love as I love dipping toast in lots of yolks. Yumm... I will sell some to friends/family.

Attachments

• chooks 005.jpg
    chooks 005.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 8
I noticed that they had an interesting feather pattern. Kinda punk. :lol: Cool!

Mmmm...fresh eggs!

Do you have a farm?

I would like to have a few laying hens but they're not allowed in our neighborhood.

:wave: to you and your new chickens!
we get local eggs from the farmers market and sometimes from a friend of mine who has a few hens. I think the fresh local eggs taste so much better.

Cute chickens! My stepmother still remembers a Bantam chicken that she bought for for 15 cents from another kid on her school bus when she was a child.

She thought it had so much personality, and was a great pet. Plus they did get eggs from it.

Back