chicago mainstream?

je_suis_chic

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any deaf mainstream schools in chicago?

I can think of few of my head and based on people I met and enrolled...

Holy Trinity School
Bell School
Lane Technical High School
Hersey High School
Whitney Young High School
Hinsdale High School
Thorndale High School (based on two of my friends who went there that I met at RIT/NTID)

Im not sure about the other schools listed, but I dont remember Hinsdale South or Central highscools having anything sepcial in relation to deaf, nothing moreso than any other school. I went to Downers Grove South and they seemed pretty equal in all things, and had some deaf students. Although, it has been over 15 years since I went there, so things could have changed around there.

SimpleMan said:
Im not sure about the other schools listed, but I dont remember Hinsdale South or Central highscools having anything sepcial in relation to deaf, nothing moreso than any other school. I went to Downers Grove South and they seemed pretty equal in all things, and had some deaf students. Although, it has been over 15 years since I went there, so things could have changed around there.

Hindsale south do have a large deaf program, its thriving as things did change.

Add Vernon Hills High School to the list

it used to be at Libertyville, but it moved to VHHS as the school spilt into two high schools and the deaf program went to the new high school.

je_suis_chic said:
Thanks, and hersey high school is mainstream? Are you sure? Awesome......

yes its absoutely mainstreamed and well known as i'm a proud alumni- Class of '01 :dance:

I went to Olmstead ( formerly River Trails ) in Mt. Prospect. It's a mainstream school.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
I went to Olmstead ( formerly River Trails ) in Mt. Prospect. It's a mainstream school.

Richard

In mt. Prospect? Awesome! Is it a good school, you think? About how many deaf students?

Out of 1-10 with 10 being the best, I'd give that school a 7. And it had 20-25 deaf students. And it was a few blocks away from my home.

Richard

Je suis chic.....ask around and see what's available before you enroll. Nesmuth went to high school in the 80's if I recall correctly. Do you know anyone who goes there already? Ask them what it's like....

deafdyke said:
Je suis chic.....ask around and see what's available before you enroll. Nesmuth went to high school in the 80's if I recall correctly. Do you know anyone who goes there already? Ask them what it's like....

no, I would not have done that... I will check out the school first.

Back