Chest freezer?

My dad bought a chest freezer for the deer and hog meats he store in them. He is a hunter and once he processes all the meats... he stores them in the chest freezer (in the garage) to save room in his refrigerator/freezer.

For awhile they were making side-by-side refrigerator / freezers that were almost full width for one section half way down and almost full width for the other section the rest of the way down. I liked this idea for putting larger trays, etc. in . I was not in a position to buy one before they quit making them.

I have a top freezer and wish the freezer was larger because I buy all my vegetables frozen rather than canned. By getting them in bags I can pour out just what i want for one meal at a time.

I think the bottom freezer ones are harder to see what is in the freezer section.

I have thought of getting a very small upright freezer as a supplement to what the section on the refrigerator/freezer holds.

Yes, I think the size of the household (especially if teen boys are included) is a determining factor.

Chest freezers are also popular with people who do their own hunting, fishing, and farming.

Like you, it's just me and Hubby at home now.

Yep, once I start hunting it will be full (deer, wabbits, Hogs and you know it, Squirrels...lol)

Most of the shrimps sold in store here are from shrimps farms . I brought some awhile ago and when I got home and opened the bag up I almost vomit! I could not believe how horrible they smelled . I returned that day. I do love shrimps but that was a total turn off.

Most of the shrimps sold in store here are from shrimps farms . I brought some awhile ago and when I got home and opened the bag up I almost vomit! I could not believe how horrible they smelled . I returned that day. I do love shrimps but that was a total turn off.
I eat only locally caught wild shrimp. I check to make sure.

That is not an option available in the middle of the country rather than on a coast.
That's why I don't eat shrimp dishes when I'm away from the Southeast coast, and I don't eat shrimp dishes at Asian restaurants or large chain restaurants.

I don't know if the Gulf Coast ships some frozen wild caught shrimp to the North. They might. Just check the packaging labels.

I also don't eat lobster except when I go to New England unless I'm sure of the source. Even then, it's got to be fresh, live New England lobster only, and we cook it ourselves. No imports.

I buy fresh (frozen) wild caught shrimp at the deli in the markets, more expensive but worth it.
Dierbergs sometimes has a special to buy it bulk (to make way for a new shipment or when nearing exspiration dates)

That is not an option available in the middle of the country rather than on a coast.

I live on the coast , I guess if I went to fish market I might had better luck getting shrimps from the ocean instead of a shrimp farm

My parents got an upright freezer when we used to by part of a cow. I think it was easier to organize with the shelves. Not so much like digging through a treasure chest to find what you needed. Plus stuff on the bottom didn't get mashed or all the juice frozen on it from things above it.

You could buy shrimp from local market and it may cost more.

If you still can't find it, it seems better for you to visit gulf in southern states, around Gulf of Mexico, especially New Orleans.

Not surprised, the frozen shrimp in most grocery stores are imported or farmed.

I realized that Publix sells imported shrimp so I rather to buy shrimp at fresh market that sell shrimp originally from Alabama, also it cost a little more.

That why I rather to live in coastal area, especially in west coast due to weather but I will miss southern seafood.

We have used empty milk bottles filled with water for years. If the power goes out they keep the food cold. Also in case of emergency we have plenty of driking water.
I have two in my freezer and two in my fridge which I rotate since I don't have a lot of food in either. Not sure I'd drink the water though...don't think I have the bottles good cleanings before using them.

F

I think the bottom freezer ones are harder to see what is in the freezer section.

The new bottom freezers are much easier to use now. They have trays that pull out and are sectioned in a way that stuff is able to be well organized.

we considered getting a chest freezer for our dog's <at the time we had three raw-fed dogs> raw food, like WDYS! mentioned. We looked at chest freezers but I was concerned I wouldn't be able to get at stuff that was underneath, since I'm a small <preemie> person.
We ended up getting a good deal on a used but still good-working full-size stand-up freezer, from the pet supply shop where I now work. That freezer was actually in the old "living room" of the old house which through the years became a large "dog room",
we now actually have two full-size freezers in the basement for raw meat and bones. <no, the movers were -not- happy when they found out they needed to get two freezers into the basement of the new house>
And sometimes we do get extra meat that might be on sale or something at farmer's market, since my husband also does eat meat. So now we actually have two freezers.

Back