Check receipts carefully

ITPjohn

SAC Class of 05
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is something that my brother sent me. I usually don't check receipts that closely, but I will now.

Mods -- feel free to move this if it's in the wrong section.

================
It happened to me at Wal-Mart (Supercenter Store #1279, 10411 N Freeway 45, Houston , TX 77037 ) a month ago. I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of $40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the $40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it. I said NO! Taking the $40 would be a cash advance against my Discover & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of $20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier agreed that the electronic pad must be defective. Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the $40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to alert everyone. My co-worker went to Milford DE Walmart last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK. My co worker called Walmart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this. There is a scam going on. The cashier will ask for cash back and hand it to her friend who is the next person in line. Please, Please, please check your receipts right away when using debit cards. The store has the cashier under investigation now. We can only pray that she is caught very soon.

I am adding to this. My husband and I were in WalMart North Salisbury and paying with credit card when my husband went to sign the credit card signer he just happen to notice there was a $20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she canceled it. We really didn't think anything of it until we read this email. Please be aware

that's why I regularly check my online accounts

Oh damn....I went to WM today...got cash so I can use cash for tomorrow trip. Thanks for the head up...I will double check my receipt soon.

That's depressing. I better start checking receipts.

Thks for the warning!...I'm usually in a hurry, but this isn't right! Hope it doesn't happen to me becuz I would start a ruckus!

This is a new angle for scamming. I have been overcharged for things at the grocery, where they decided a vegetable was not the type on sale, but the expensive one; or where they charge me for an extra item. I never considered this one. I rarely visit Walmart anyway, but my grocery has the cash back option. Seems hard to believe this would be so easy to do, because there is usually an extra set of responses to make on the keypad. Thanks for the eye opener.

A friend of mine, her sister had gone to a fast food resturant, paid with her ATM the chicken sandwich was $1. She didn't get a receipt it turned out the cashier charged her $21. It was later, her sister discovered this. She put a warning in facebook, to alert us to check our receipts and make sure we don't get ripped off.

Its fake because I can tell you that from behind the counter the only way for the customer to get a cash back is if the customer pressed it on the touch-screen device, there is no way possible the cashier can request a cash back on any card of any type from behind the counter.

When you swipe your card through the reader it should go something like this:
DEBIT CARD:
(customer slides debit card)
PRESS PIN NUMBER
(customer enters pin which is encrypted so it shows up as **** on the screen)
(customer hits green enter key)
<cashier screen looks like this:>
AMOUNT/TENDER $150.00
*DBT
<cashier presses debit key>
WAITING FOR AUTHORIZATION
(Customer selects cash back from 4 preset amounts from $20, $40, $80, $100 on the touch-pad screen. There is also a no cash back option on this screen, simply press the black NO icon on the screen, if the customer presses no, the transaction proceeds through and receipt is printed.) This screen with the options should read :Would you like cash back?:
(Customer presses $40 cash-back icon)
Screen comes up and reads :You selected $40.00 cash back, is this correct?: You have 3 options YES | NO | MORE
Customer selects YES, the transaction proceeds through, the cash drawer pops open and the cashier screen reads:
CHANGE DUE $40.00

There is very little chance a customer would accidentally get $40.00 cash back. As far as the touch-pad readers malfunctioning - they do malfunction - the malfunction is that they do not scan the cards correctly. I've had customers come through to pay with their bank card and it comes up on the cashier screen like a food-stamp card. Even with this, it is still impossible for the cashier to ask for a $40 cash-back from behind the counter.

On top of all of that, her drawer would have not come out correctly because they check each register nightly around 11:00pm, and all registers are 'cleaned' as of Midnight to start the new day. Believe me the cashier may get away with it for a day or two, but they will get caught because there is a camera over EVERY register. Usually they are fired then Wal-Mart prosecutes.

Umm. I alway check the receipt before I leave cashier. I busted them for error number, double price for one item, poor count the cash, etc.

Last year, I went to walmart to bought something and i press on the touch-pad readers for cash back then draw pop out from the cash machine. The cashier ignored it and closed the draw then gave me the receipt. I was point the receipt that I want cash back. She feel like idiot and she called supervisor then supervisor take care of that.

Not just machine, it can happen to human error too.

Great. I got email from someone.

All of you Shopaholics!

THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN CHECKED THROUGH SNOPES AND FOUND TO BE TRUE:
Subject: WalMart Scam

This happened to a friend's husband. He caught it before he walked away from the cashier so she corrected it. I have to admit I don't always look at my receipt before I walk away from the register. I guess now I will. If this happens I think you need to have the manager come over to correct the "mistake". That way the managers might see a pattern developing.

Just to alert everyone. My co worker went to Milford DE Walmart last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK. My co worker called Walmart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this. There is a scam going on. The cashier will ask for cash back and hand it to her friend who is the next person in line. Please, Please, please check your receipts right away when using debit cards. The store has the cashier under investigation now. We can only pray that she is caught very soon.
I am adding to this. My husband and I were in WalMart North Salisbury and paying with credit card when my husband went to sign the credit card signer he just happen to notice there was a $20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she canceled it. We really didn't think anything of it until we read this email. Please be aware.
PLEASE PASS THIS ON!!

Yikes! Thanks for warning. I used to be cashier, and sometimes when it was too busy or in hurry, customers would let me know and made exact/correct changes or whatever. Customers come 1st. If people want reciept, they would request one, depends on who.

Back