Cheapest way to replace a Nucleus 5

jxm1302

Reaction score
My wife was recently pushed into the lake and she had her Nucleus 5 implant on. It fell off of her ear and we were unable to find it. I immediately called Cochlear America because we had paid for the extended warranty with them. However, they informed us that the extended warranty does NOT cover a lost or stolen item. Therefor, we were told it would cost us about $8,000 for a new one. We, just like most people, don't have $8,000 to just lay on the table. So we are looking for some help or guidance to see if anyone might have a Nucleus 5 they would like to sell, or if anyone knows of a way to purchase maybe a refurbished/used one elsewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks!
Justin

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Did you have it insured under your home/tenant insurance? You may be able to have it replaced that way.

No, we actually don't have it covered under that. We usually would, but are currently living with her parents right now while trying to find a new home. I was told to check our Local Vocational Rehab Center and see if they can be of any assistance.

Im sorry that it had to happen to your wife. It did happen to my husband. He lost his CI at McDonald's when He was distracted with two kids of ours couple of years ago. He didn't have insurance at this time. He regretted that he didn't have insurance. No luck for my husband. I don't know what else to say. :(

Im sorry that it had to happen to your wife. It did happen to my husband. He lost his CI at McDonald's when He was distracted with two kids of ours couple of years ago. He didn't have insurance at this time. He regretted that he didn't have insurance. No luck for my husband. I don't know what else to say. :(

Any idea who I am confusing him with? I thought it was lost while doing yard work.

maybe check ebay from time to time? Surely, with the new N6 coming out (supposedly by fall), perhaps there will be some folks seeking to sell the N5 when they upgrade. Or sometimes when a CI individual passes away, their external equipment will show up on eBay (or donated).

I have a Freedom that I don't use, but I don't know if it is backwards-compatible with the N5.

Shit happens, that's why we take out insurance on expensive stuff. Not much you can do but go after the person who pushed your wife into the lake....can ask them to help pay for the 'damages'.

p.s. You can rent equipment to scan the bottom of the lake for electronics, I am sure it costs a lot less than $8K.

I have a Freedom that I don't use, but I don't know if it is backwards-compatible with the N5.

Shit happens, that's why we take out insurance on expensive stuff. Not much you can do but go after the person who pushed your wife into the lake....can ask them to help pay for the 'damages'.

p.s. You can rent equipment to scan the bottom of the lake for electronics, I am sure it costs a lot less than $8K.
With that less cheaper equipment, I am most likely to say that the N5 is pretty much damaged, as it may have been submerged in the water for more than 30 minutes....

I thought of that too ... the N5 is compatible with the freedom internal implant so I'd think a Freedom processor and hardware would be compatible with a N5 internal implant as well ... audi would know for sure ... and I'm sure a Nucleus Freedom would be cheaper than a N5 ... I ask my audi what the difference as between the 2 she said the N5 is thinner and has the remote but the programming is practically the same as the Nucleus freedom ...

With that less cheaper equipment, I am most likely to say that the N5 is pretty much damaged, as it may have been submerged in the water for more than 30 minutes....

May be damaged but the extended warranty may cover the repair to it if they find it since it don't cover lost or stolen.

Did she not get a back up processor when she had her surgery? Mine came with two processors.
Maybe you can talk to a few audiologists in your area. They would know the people upgrading and if so they would probably like to make a few bucks by selling it to you. If they let you, leave your name and number and check in with them periodically. Also go to Cochlear websites and place like a "want ad" if that is allowed.

There might be someone who has a backup that they could sell.

I'm actually thinking about putting a clip on mine so if it falls off it will still be attached.

Good luck!!! Please let us know if you find something.

My wife was recently pushed into the lake and she had her Nucleus 5 implant on.

Just curious, who was it that pushed her in the lake? I don't say this to be harsh but if someone did that to me, I'd take them to small claims court for that kind of damage....losing that kind of money is a major loss. I am of course assuming it wasn't a child trying to have fun or a minor trying to play a prank....

Laura

Just curious, who was it that pushed her in the lake? I don't say this to be harsh but if someone did that to me, I'd take them to small claims court for that kind of damage....losing that kind of money is a major loss. I am of course assuming it wasn't a child trying to have fun or a minor trying to play a prank....

Laura

Take them to court ??? Your being nice I'd whoop their ass ... Good point though but we don't know why or how it happened ...

Did she not get a back up processor when she had her surgery? Mine came with two processors.

My first CI came with two as well, second one did not, although they upgraded my Freedom.

From what I was told, second processors must be approved by insurance adjustors.

she said the N5 is thinner and has the remote but the programming is practically the same as the Nucleus freedom

They are similar, but the N5 has some extra algorithms in the programming that are supposed to improve speech discrimination by 20%.

I can tell you this....I had my Freedom mapped just before the N5, and the difference is pretty noticeable.

Maybe you can talk to a few audiologists in your area. They would know the people upgrading and if so they would probably like to make a few bucks by selling it to you. If they let you, leave your name and number and check in with them periodically. Also go to Cochlear websites and place like a "want ad" if that is allowed.

There might be someone who has a backup that they could sell.

I'm actually thinking about putting a clip on mine so if it falls off it will still be attached.

Good luck!!! Please let us know if you find something.

not all CI centers do 2 processors per ear. Depends on the costs/funding.

OMG that sucks! And indeed the CI is EXPENSIVE!!!!!!

it is very true on It is refuse on my implant, I dropping to Cochlear implant. It removing on implant, I won't replace to second implant you will find out new implant Good lucky anybody will figure out. risk your things!

They are similar, but the N5 has some extra algorithms in the programming that are supposed to improve speech discrimination by 20%.

I can tell you this....I had my Freedom mapped just before the N5, and the difference is pretty noticeable.

That kinda sorta makes me want to upgrade to the N5 if its that much of an improvement.

Back