cheaper source for PACS?

etalton

Reaction score
I know there has to be a cheaper source for PACS for CI's other than the homesite of the actual CI maker...do any of you have a favorite source?

I found the following website which sells the Freedom personal audio cable for 44 Euros which converts to $59 U.S. dollars:

Personal audio cable for Nucleus Freedom - connevans.co.uk

However, I do not know if they ship overseas. You might want to contact them for more information.

By the way, if you choose the Freedom CI, a personal audio cable will be included with your accessories.

Thanks Hear Again...that is awesome, as I did choose that...well...had no choice really..as that is what the surgeon, after having implanted all three brands, prefers and recommends. I was leaning that way anyway, so it all worked out.

Thanks Hear Again...that is awesome, as I did choose that...well...had no choice really..as that is what the surgeon, after having implanted all three brands, prefers and recommends. I was leaning that way anyway, so it all worked out.

Great! :)

Hmm, the odd thing is the plug itself is L shaped. I looked at my PACs, and it's not L shaped, instead it's like a small rectangle. It's kind of interesting to see if that would work. OR, it's not exactly Cochlear brand, and whoever made it has modified it a little bit so it's not exactly the same...

Unless if the plugs are different in different countries...that would be interesting. :)

It's not 44 euros, it's 44 POUNDS, whooping expensive for a piece of wire!!!! I have those that came in the box with the processor. I didn't like them as i was getting the background noise so I bought Ear hooks which i used T-coil and it is much better and is 18.50 pounds. The Ear hooks got 2 hooks which i can use with CI and HA at the same time!! (it does sounds different though!!)

Lady, do u have back ground noise with PACS? My PACS is rectangle too, the one in the picture looks strange, I would be concerned buying them...

Lady, do u have back ground noise with PACS? My PACS is rectangle too, the one in the picture looks strange, I would be concerned buying them...

No background noise. :) I have my map for P1 specifically for that reason. If you are willing to try, ask your audiologist to give you Auto sensitivity and ADRO for one of the maps. I found it to be perfect for music. It seem to take whatever you hear that's louder much closer and filters out the background noise. I do use this program for my car when I listen to music, but it does block out the outside noise...whether that's a bad thing or good thing...I find it better because I don't really hear my car engine unless if I turn off the music.

Another thing you can try is to have Whisper included, that should block out the background noise as well.

I don't like T-Coil because hearing people can hear the music through your mics. Secondly, I hate the "buzzing" noise (I'm always near the computer for school, so it sounds funny). Plus, if my teacher is talking to me, I can just pause the music and still hear the teacher without having to turn off the T-Coil.

Bring your iPod and PACs with you to your audiologist and play around with it a bit, play the music, then ask your audiologist to make some noise.

It's not 44 euros, it's 44 POUNDS, whooping expensive for a piece of wire!!!! I have those that came in the box with the processor. I didn't like them as i was getting the background noise so I bought Ear hooks which i used T-coil and it is much better and is 18.50 pounds. The Ear hooks got 2 hooks which i can use with CI and HA at the same time!! (it does sounds different though!!)

Oops. My bad. Thanks for the correction. :)

Hmm, the odd thing is the plug itself is L shaped. I looked at my PACs, and it's not L shaped, instead it's like a small rectangle. It's kind of interesting to see if that would work. OR, it's not exactly Cochlear brand, and whoever made it has modified it a little bit so it's not exactly the same...

Unless if the plugs are different in different countries...that would be interesting. :)

Lady,

As you know, I couldn't see the picture, so there would have been no way for me to know the plug configuration was different. If someone wants to purchase an extra PAC, I think their best bet would be to buy it from Cochlear.
Overthepond,

I use a PAC and don't hear any background noise when using it. My favorite map is an "open" program that doesn't use ADRO, Whisper, etc. In my opinion, the sound quality when using the PAC is much clearer than when using the T-coil. When I use a neckloop with T-coil on my CIs, the sound tends to drift in and out.

Lady,

As you know, I couldn't see the picture, so there would have been no way for me to know the plug configuration was different. If someone wants to purchase an extra PAC, I think their best bet would be to buy it from Cochlear.
Overthepond,

I use a PAC and don't hear any background noise when using it. My favorite map is an "open" program that doesn't use ADRO, Whisper, etc. In my opinion, the sound quality when using the PAC is much clearer than when using the T-coil. When I use a neckloop with T-coil on my CIs, the sound tends to drift in and out.

Not a problem - That's why I wasn't sure if European version of the PAC's are different...:)

Also, I forgot to mention that if you want to get rid of the background noise, just turn your sensitivity all the way down to 0...then you're good to go! :)

Ummm, thank you, both of you Hear again and Lady... Deffo will bring those up at Audi when i go for my 3 month (nov 19th) Will take the PAC and Ipod and discuss... I don't really want to back to the centre unless it's absolute necessary also i am off on holiday next week.

All of my programs (2 at 4000 p/s and 2 at 7200 p/s) are setted with ADRO thats all i know.

Will take note of your posts and mention it to my audi. Have good day (it's night time here!).

Trouble is, the PAC at Cochlear is $130. That is mighty steep for an audio cable. And the one for TV/Stereo is $180. Ouch!

Trouble is, the PAC at Cochlear is $130. That is mighty steep for an audio cable. And the one for TV/Stereo is $180. Ouch!

True, but you will get one with the package of "toys".

My fiance doesn't understand why it's so expensive. It probably only cost Cochlear like 10 bucks for the parts.

After reading your post, I did a Google search for "cochlear implant personal audio cable" and the only hit I got (besides Cochlear) was the website I listed above. Yes, the price is expensive, but you're better off purchasing from Cochlear knowing that you're getting the right equipment instead of risking the chance that you have the wrong cable or plug configuration. Like you, I wish this equipment weren't so expensive, but unless you have insurance cover the cost, there just isn't any way of getting around it. :(

True, but you will get one with the package of "toys".

My fiance doesn't understand why it's so expensive. It probably only cost Cochlear like 10 bucks for the parts.

That was indeed good news...music to my ears...or hope it will be. And, I did have an idea for the other cable..a quick trip to radio shack for an adaptor and the PAC should work just fine.

After reading your post, I did a Google search for "cochlear implant personal audio cable" and the only hit I got (besides Cochlear) was the website I listed above. Yes, the price is expensive, but you're better off purchasing from Cochlear knowing that you're getting the right equipment instead of risking the chance that you have the wrong cable or plug configuration. Like you, I wish this equipment weren't so expensive, but unless you have insurance cover the cost, there just isn't any way of getting around it. :(

Yeah, I know..just seems to be a rip off and my insurance won't cover it, of that I am sure...but, since I get one with the freedom, I do feel better.

That was indeed good news...music to my ears...or hope it will be. And, I did have an idea for the other cable..a quick trip to radio shack for an adaptor and the PAC should work just fine.

Make sure you get STEREO-in-STEREO type of adapter.

I tried Mono to Stereo adapter for two of my PACs, they do not work. Which is kind of odd because it should not be a problem trying to plug in a stereo plug into a mono and then converting it back to Stereo again. Works for regular headphones...(of course, sound will only come out of one side for dual headsets), or mono headphone.

So, make sure you get stereo into stereo type of plug
It will sound weird with CI AND HAs plugged in because the CI picks up a lot more frequencies than HAs, so it sounds different.

No harm into trying, but it does take a while for music to sound "good".

Thanks for the tip. And since music has sounded like crap for over two years, I won't hope for better right away, just hope it's not worse..at least for long.

Thanks for the tip. And since music has sounded like crap for over two years, I won't hope for better right away, just hope it's not worse..at least for long.

In my experience, it took 6 months before music sounded like it was supposed to. During the first month of activation, all I could hear was percussion. Then over time (3-6 months), I was able to hear vocals and individual instruments. Now music sounds better than it ever did with hearing aids.

Be aware that music won't sound anything like you're used to for the first few months your CI is activated. However, it will improve with time.

In my experience, it took 6 months before music sounded like it was supposed to. During the first month of activation, all I could hear was percussion. Then over time (3-6 months), I was able to hear vocals and individual instruments. Now music sounds better than it ever did with hearing aids.

Be aware that music won't sound anything like you're used to for the first few months your CI is activated. However, it will improve with time.

Hell yeah... I was thinking years, not months...so that is excellent news. :ty:

Back