Cheap Supply for Mechanics

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
hey ya'all - where do ya'all buy supplies like bulk of WD-40, lubricants, fluids, oil, etc. for cheap?

I embezzle the stuffs from the gas station. Dont tell my boss. LOL, I still use oils and filters to service my personally vehicles, pay nothing. You guys jealous??

Get an account with your local auto parts store... I have an account and pretty much get things at cost.

What kinda of supply are you referring to?
Fluids used for autos or universal lubricants/degreaser/etc for any kind of application?

What kinda of supply are you referring to?
Fluids used for autos or universal lubricants/degreaser/etc for any kind of application?

yup. for my motorcycle of course :giggle:

Wirelessly posted

Only thing I can think of is silicone based lube spray. I use it for much of the engine bay area to get stuck bolts and stuff off. It was because of something I read of WD40 being corrosive to engine bay plastics, and I stopped using it since.
Great thing for silicone is that its like wd40 that can be use on anything with peace of mind. Can buy it at walmart, cheap enuff.

Only thing I remember using wd40 now is for roasing cockroaches with a lighter. :lol:
Like a mini flamethrower.

I use to ordering one case of the heavy duty latex gloves (10 boxes in a case) gripped fingers from the janitor supply warehouse for $89 dollars include S&H and taxes. SnapOn tools dealer sells $15 dollars a box of latex gloves. I dont like cheap SnapOn's latex gloves.

Wirelessly posted

Only thing I can think of is silicone based lube spray. I use it for much of the engine bay area to get stuck bolts and stuff off. It was because of something I read of WD40 being corrosive to engine bay plastics, and I stopped using it since.
Great thing for silicone is that its like wd40 that can be use on anything with peace of mind. Can buy it at walmart, cheap enuff.

Only thing I remember using wd40 now is for roasing cockroaches with a lighter. :lol:
LOL, wait a minute, they are flammable liquid? I'm not aware of. Harm to plastics?

Wirelessly posted

yes and no. WD40 is generally not good to use if there are bearings and/or moving parts involved because WD40 is a temporary cleaning lube. it evaporates quickly... which is why it's good to use it to clear out the moisture/water inside. If you want a lasting lube - use something like DuPont Teflon or grease or whatever.

In my case - using WD40 on chain as lube is the idiotic thing you can do. Yes it can lube it but it will seep into sealed O-ring and degrade the lube inside. Sometimes I use it to clean my disgusting chain filled with gunks and dirts by spraying WD40 on cloth and wipe it off. I also use WD40 to clean my gun and then I use gun oil to lube it.

Motorcycle_Chain.jpg

About plastic - I wouldn't use it on plastic. According to WD40 site -

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.

I didnt notice the label on WD40. I use it for years without any troubles. I feel I like:jaw: I better to read it. I'm an idiot mechanic. Thanks for infro.

:slap: I knew it when I was 10 years old since my father always use it for almost anywhere.

you guys, are right about the WD40 ......inflammable. I took a WD40 spray can from the stock room (in gas station), to see how the WD40 spray can, spray it with my lighter ignited, burst flame like a cute gas welding torch, Cool. I sprayed it on the metal bench and left a small pool of the wet WD40, aside a spray can away from it. I took a match and ignited and tossed it over the pool. Still no flame....though.

you guys, are right about the WD40 ......inflammable. I took a WD40 spray can from the stock room (in gas station), to see how the WD40 spray can, spray it with my lighter ignited, burst flame like a cute gas welding torch, Cool. I sprayed it on the metal bench and left a small pool of the wet WD40, aside a spray can away from it. I took a match and ignited and tossed it over the pool. Still no flame....though.

Given the right circumstances it would ignite. Reason it flares like that from the can is because of the propellant which is highly flammable. I dont have a can of wd40 but if you look and it has the ingredients listed look for a word that ends with "ane" (ex: propANE, methANE, butANE) which would be flammable but is used to expel the contents from the can.

I bet you laughed like maniac :lol:

the reason why the pool of wet WD40 didn't light up is cuz the flammable substance is already gone (evaporated).

Back