Chattanooga deaf chat starbucks

Reaction score
Saw where starbucks promotes/offers a deaf chat meet up but none so far in chattanooga. Anyone interested in starting one up and if so, which location is best as we have several starbucks....

From a Local Coffee Shop owner to a friend:

DO NOT GO TO STARBUCKS!!!!

Support your local coffee shop. They really need it.

Well. It does not matter where to meet deaf people. Starbuck is a good way to meet... A local small coffee shop is also good. A long time ago, we met many deaf people at a nice big gazebo in a small town, and it was good thing that there were no mosquitoes at that time. Whew!

I think that you might be right that we could meet them at a small coffee shop somewhere as long as it is a comfortable place to sit - just like a fireplace in the living room that make you "feel" home for instance.

I am open to a small local coffee shop as well as Starbucks, any suggestions get them out there. Lets get something going as relationships grow, friends meet, needs are met etc...I am ready...

Starbucks Locations

Had several friends think this was a great idea, some deaf, some hearing...Hardly any responses from Chatt Town people here...looking into 2 locations, Hixson on Hwy 153 or maybe something near Hamilton on Gunbarrel Rd...Please let me know if this is something you are interested in or should I keep it to just those around me, word of mouth, friends, church folks etc...

Sounds like a good idea. Chattanooga has a fairly large deaf community. The deaf folks in Memphis and Nashville have such for couple of years now. They recently started one in Cookeville and I believe, Knoxville.

Perhaps send out a message to E-Peachy News to see if anyone is interested to attend such. E-Peachy News is a Georgia-based e-news for the Deaf, but I am sure there are several subscribers in Chattanooga and northern Georgia. Before you do, you may want to contact the coffee houses first if they don't mind and etc. :)

Thank you. I think we are going with the location on E Brainerd Rd. It seems centrally located to the Chatt area as well as Dalton/Ringgold etc...I intend to discuss with that manager this weekend. Look for more posts and get the word out...Chattanooga is going to be on the map! If you are on facebook, join the group: Say It with Sign...

From a Local Coffee Shop owner to a friend:

DO NOT GO TO STARBUCKS!!!!

Support your local coffee shop. They really need it.

That's problem that most deaf aren't usually pay something from the store.

And depend on how cozy to be place for society.

Star Bucks

That's problem that most deaf aren't usually pay something from the store.

And depend on how cozy to be place for society.

I don't think this will be a problem. When my sign language class "Say it With Sign" (see this site for more info on new classes starting in Feb: Metropolitan Tabernacle Church look under ministries tab)was being taught, we met at Shoney's after class, about 10 of us and ate each Saturday...We are talking maybe once a month, surely deaf or hearing can purchase a coffee and muffin once a month even in these hard economic times....

Hixson Starbucks agreed in past

I coordinated a "Signer's Social" at a local, privately-owned coffee shop in Colonial Beach, Virginia, because there was not a Starbucks in my town. We had a great turn-out initially, but it dwindled and I moved to TN.

I have been hesitant to start one here because I don't yet feel accepted by the local Deaf community (I am hearing) and I have thought it would be better received/attended if a local Deaf person were the coordinator.

But, in 2007 (?), I met with the manager of the Starbucks in Hixson by Northgate Mall. She was open to the idea. I was VERY new to the area and told her I wanted to get some statistics about the number of people in the area who sign. She and I agreed we would talk about it more when I got my numbers together. I wasn't able to find the statistics I wanted. And, I wasn't sure where all to advertise. Since I also had not met a local Deaf community member willing to be the supporter/starter, and because I was struggling with classes and life in general, I put it on the back burner.

I just completed school this past December. Now I am trying to prepare for NAD-RID interpreter certification testing and hope to find a job back in the VA/DC area. So, I am still hesitant to commit to being the coordinator. But, I would love to see one started and to help in some way get it started.

Feel free to contact me:
Kris@HeadrickFamily.Net

i wish i live in chatanooga to meet at starbucks with other deaf people. i try to meet deafies in indiana but i not have any luck. i post ad on all deaf and i going to post my ad on craigs list!

Starbucks

I coordinated a "Signer's Social" at a local, privately-owned coffee shop in Colonial Beach, Virginia, because there was not a Starbucks in my town. We had a great turn-out initially, but it dwindled and I moved to TN.

I have been hesitant to start one here because I don't yet feel accepted by the local Deaf community (I am hearing) and I have thought it would be better received/attended if a local Deaf person were the coordinator.

But, in 2007 (?), I met with the manager of the Starbucks in Hixson by Northgate Mall. She was open to the idea. I was VERY new to the area and told her I wanted to get some statistics about the number of people in the area who sign. She and I agreed we would talk about it more when I got my numbers together. I wasn't able to find the statistics I wanted. And, I wasn't sure where all to advertise. Since I also had not met a local Deaf community member willing to be the supporter/starter, and because I was struggling with classes and life in general, I put it on the back burner.

I just completed school this past December. Now I am trying to prepare for NAD-RID interpreter certification testing and hope to find a job back in the VA/DC area. So, I am still hesitant to commit to being the coordinator. But, I would love to see one started and to help in some way get it started.

Feel free to contact me:
Kris@HeadrickFamily.Net

Thanks for the offer but it is already started. I pray it will be a success regardless if a hearie or deafie starts it. Chattanooga's deaf community to me has been in the dark...we have deaf bowl night, but to connect the two worlds, hearing/deaf together, in my opinion to make friends is what it is all about.

APPARENTLY THERE ARE TWO POSTS...THIS POST IS BEING READ MORE THAN OTHER POST, SO I AM POSTING ALL INFO ON THIS DEAF CHAT ON THIS POST TOO.

It is established...open to all, hearing, deaf, HOH or students of sign. This is a great way to meet others in the community and share interests, support, ideas and help. You may have a talent or you may have a need someone else could use or help you with.

This Starbucks location is fairly large, the outside porch area is completely covered, smoking is allowed outside only, there is ceiling fans and a fireplace! Very nice!

When: 2nd Saturday of the month starting next month, February!
Time: 2 PM in the afternoon

Where: Starbucks, 2217 Hamilton Place Blvd, Chattanooga Tn
75 N exit 5, Shallowford Rd, turn right. At light for Hamilton Place Blvd turn right again. Starbucks will be down on the right.

Hope to see you there, no registration required, simple show up and enjoy a cup of Java and meet new friends!

Back