Charter school vs. state deaf school

ok.

most hearing people get spoken language everyday. before, during, and afterschool. We all know that it is impossible to have speech therapy 24/7 when there are other things to learn beside spoken languages.

If spoken language is a guarantee to literacy skills then why are so many hearing people illiterate?

The most important thing is that all deaf children have full access to language first instead of waiting and see if a deaf child can or can not acquire language through spoken language only. That puts them at risk for language delays or deficiets. That's why we have ASL..it is visual and fully accessible to any deaf child.

I highly recommend Parenting with Love and Logic. Dr. Fay is great.

Love and Logic - Helping Parents and Teachers Raise Responsible Kids

The danger in controlling parenting is that the child will not learn to make decisions for himself. A child needs to learn to accept responsibility for his own behavior. Let a child experience logical consequences early on. As a child grows, he becomes more confident about making his own decisions.

I've gotten some great ideas and techniques from Dr. Fay's lectures.

My kids never did well with that. When I tried it, I felt that I was doing something wrong, so another parent who had it work for her came to "critique" me and said I was not doing anything wrong, I just had kids who figured out how to turn the whole "Love & Logic" around to be about me.

Back