Charity for pet surguries

Lighthouse77

Reaction score
Our border collie/black lab mix was born with Femur issue on his knee. For a while, it wasn't giving him any problems. But now, everytime I watch him run around in our backyard, I noticed it is getting worst. To the point that he will gently nip me if I try to touch it (as a warning to leave it alone).

I think he'll need a surgery but I don't have any money right now. So what is the best way to do this?

Maybe you should take him to the vet for an evaluation first. He might not need surgery but some other treatment. If he does need surgery, you can discuss the costs with the vet at that time so you can plan ahead.

I have taken him for it. he gets his yearly check up too.

She say that it get to the point that it is all the time (limping and such), he may have to have a surgery. It was a wait and see at the time. now, I think I will need to discuss surgery. but yeah, I should see what she have to say about it.

Patellar Luxation is very common in small breeds of dogs, but is less common in larger dogs (like yours). This condition is when the patella (kneecap) slides out of the groove that it should sit in. Patellar Luxation is usually given a grade from 1-4 with a I/IV being the mildest and a IV/IV being the most severe. Mild cases are usually fine without surgery, but, like your vet says, when it gets more severe and painful for the dog, surgery is usually needed.

As far as paying for the surgery goes, you have several options. First, get an estimate from your veterinarian so that you know up front about how much money you need to come up with. The first option is to let your veterinarian know that you have limited funds. Work with your vet to see if there is a way to cut costs on the estimate. (For example - we put a fee for laser surgery on the estimate. If a client can't afford it, the vet will remove that fee and not use the laser during surgery. The incision may take longer to heal, and the pet may have more surgery site pain, but if it comes down to it - better that way than no surgery at all.) If you have a good relationship with your vet (been a long-time client, always paid up front, no bad checks etc.) they may extend a payment plan for you. They will likely still want a deposit up front. I don't know where you are located, but in the U.S. you can apply for Care Credit which is a line of credit like a credit card, but it can only be used for health care things (I know they have it for pets and for people, but I don't know if they are interchangeable). Some vet hospitals have a fund to help owners when something large like surgery comes up and they cannot pay for it. (I know that Tufts in Massachusetts has a fund specifically for situations like this.) Sometimes other organizations have them also. Your vet may know of other local resources. Of course you could always sell things on auction sites, have a yard/garage sale etc. I know people that have baked lots of yummy treats, brought them to work, and told their coworkers that they can have some for a donation to whatever they are raising money for.

Last but not least - If you decide to shop around to get the best price on the surgery, use caution. Compare estimates to make sure that the standard of care is the same. Remember that it's often true; you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
you could try to look into pet insurance

This would not be covered under pet insurance. For one thing, it's a pre-existing condition. Also, many insurance companies would consider this a genetic problem, and many won't cover that.

Thank you frosty, it's good to know what I should expect ahead of time. right now, I don't really want to shop around for the cheapest surgeon. I trust my dog's vet too much to do that. yes, she was my long time vet. She was my kitty's vet before I had my dog.

I really hope that this does not come across as insensitive, because I mean it in the nicest way possible. You have a working computer with Internet. Do you think that maybe you could sell it considering it is not a necessity? I just don't think it's fair to use a charity when you do have nice things that you don't need. If it were one of my dogs, I'd be selling my laptop right now.

my husband built my computer using the lowest budget and sales, and yes it is insensitive because That's like saying sell my hearing aids because I don't NEED them. You do know that I use my computer to communicate with my family, keep up with son's school, and so on? beside, I don't think this computer would cover the whole cost of surgery. I'm more likely get $100 or less for it. I can get $100 easily. But $1,000, no.

I'm trying to save money for it by putting off some things.
I don't have a laptop.

Now, I do have some old hearing aids.... does anyone want to buy it?

but anyway, more likely, we are going put this on credit card. I hate being in debt. We were in debt before, and it was so hard to get out of it. My husband already put his surgery credit card.

That's like saying sell my hearing aids because I don't NEED them.

Selling a computer is not even the least bit comparable to selling hearing aids. You do NEED your hearing aids. Nobody, unless they use it for work, NEEDS a computer. People got along fine without them before. :)

I would be willing to sell our TVs and our computers if it meant that my dogs would be alive and healthy. I do not need a TV or computer. However, I would not be willing to sacrifice my hearing aids... and no one should. They ARE a necessity. I can't function without them.

Last edited:
whatever, but I need my computer in case of an emergency. Majority of the time my family need me, they email me. Some of them chat with me on the computer when they are depressed. you can't do that when you are deaf and can't hear on the phone. I'm keeping the computer because I love my family . And I love my dog just as much.

btw, my family help me when I need them too. so it is a necessity. If I need a ride to a doctor because my car broke down, I can email them.

My tv are tube tv (even though one of it is HD but it is the old HD tube tv and the HDMI plugin doesn't even work. The other one is very old and not even HD or digital compatible). who want a tube tv?

beside, Frosty say I should have a yard sale, but I already had one last summer, and hardly sold anything (that's how crappy the things I have is) and I only raised $200

and I don't think it is wise sell a computer that won't cover the whole cost of the surgery and end up spending MORE money in the future just to get a new one.

whatever, but I need my computer in case of an emergency. Majority of the time my family need me, they email me. Some of them chat with me on the computer when they are depressed. you can't do that when you are deaf and can't hear on the phone. I'm keeping the computer because I love my family . And I love my dog just as much.

btw, my family help me when I need them too. so it is a necessity. If I need a ride to a doctor because my car broke down, I can email them.

I guess I can understand that. I was just trying to prove a point. I can see where you are coming from, though.

Back