Charcoal or Propane

AndyE9503

Reaction score
So what do you prefer? I am waiting on the coals to get hot so I can grill some chicken at the moment. Charcoal all the way for me.

Depends, I like both and do like charcoal.

If you want faster way to heat up coal, easy, pour in liquid Oxygen and light it up. It will get red hot in no time.

Mesquite charcoal for the special meats, propane for mobility/standard not so special meals.

I would like to try grilling with a pellet burning bbq grill.

Wirelessly posted

Doesn't matter to me.

Propane is better during winters and rainy days, which Canadians do quite a bit of.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

Charcoal, of course.

Propane for convenience, especially for just the two of us. We use the grill year 'round.

Lump charcoal when I want to get really fancy, but usually just regular charcoal. I use a Weber chimney starter. Spray a little bit of oil onto the newspaper before wadding it up and sticking it in the bottom. Charcoals are usually ready in about 15 minutes.

I have no problem with a propane grill for short cook times, but when I do low n slow 6-8 hour cooks smoking pork butts or ribs, don't even mention the word "propane" to me, or I might go ballistic. :D

When doing BBQ fish.. Charcoal, no ifs and buts, there is no substitution. Don't think propane even comes close to the same flavor.
The japanese call it robatayaki. It's good stuff if you like seafood.
Robatayaki.jpg

We use propane for our turkey fryer, too.

propane in the winter and charcoal the rest of the year

charcoal grilled veggie kabobs with a good stout beer YUM

When doing BBQ fish.. Charcoal, no ifs and buts, there is no substitution. Don't think propane even comes close to the same flavor.
The japanese call it robatayaki. It's good stuff if you like seafood.
Robatayaki.jpg

Now that looks tasty

Charcoal is the best to grill the meat with wood type to create flavor.

Propane is for someone who want to be in hurry, but it make excellent to cook with foil when you want to have nice flavor steam with vegetable and other stuff to mix with meat.

Back