Change the future for a deaf child

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see the reserch that shows the bolded. That there are a number of children who hear worse with a bilateral implant than they did with a unilateral. Where can I find it? I am considering the other side for Miss Kat and I can not find anything that says that.

Where did I say "Bilateral"? Or worse? I said "no significant increase." That would mean, no improvement, not a decrease. And perhaps you should PM RD and ask him about his child's experience.

I think this article can be written better. Don't forget that, most likely, the majority of the people who read this know NOTHING about the CI/deafness and why would they educate themselves on the topic further? They don't know anyone who is deaf, so what does it matter to them? So high chances that a lot of people, after reading this article, will think "geez why don't they just get that deaf implant? At least just get one!!" next time they meet a deaf person.

Maybe ASL is best, and they dont know it. some parents need to get a life...

Maybe they use ASL? Maybe their child is begging for the other side because she can not hear in the luchroom. Maybe she is having troble localizing sound. There are a lot of questions that aren't answered because this is a human interest piece meant to play on emotions. The parents don't "need to get a life", they are doing something for their child, and that is all.

Maybe they use ASL? Maybe their child is begging for the other side because she can not hear in the luchroom. Maybe she is having troble localizing sound. There are a lot of questions that aren't answered because this is a human interest piece meant to play on emotions. The parents don't "need to get a life", they are doing something for their child, and that is all.

Given the noisy conditions in an elementary school lunchroom, what makes you think that unilateral or bilateral will help her understand speech in those condidtions?

Where did I say "Bilateral"? Or worse? I said "no significant increase." That would mean, no improvement, not a decrease. And perhaps you should PM RD and ask him about his child's experience.

That is why I specifically asked if there is any research to show that it would get worse.

What they think their child needs. Sure, it might help her, but does she need it? No. Would it be nice? Maybe (depends how successful it is). Is it worth asking strangers to pour their money into? Don't know. You tell me.

I couldn't agree with u more!!! God...this kind of thing is just absurd!

Maybe ASL is best, and they dont know it. some parents need to get a life...

why do these parents need to get a life? don't they have the right to give their child a second implant if that's what they want? besides, the article does not indicate whether or not hannah knows sign, so we cannot accurately draw that conclusion.

That is why I specifically asked if there is any research to show that it would get worse.

I told you that I could point you to a member of this forum in regard to the "worse" situation, and have done so.

The point is, my post was in reference to the fact that a bilateral was no guarantee that any improvement at all would be seen. You are distorting that.

You stated: If she is an oral language user she will hear much more normally (not normal) with two ears than with one.
And I replied that wasn't guaranteed. And it isn't.

You know what, i know what it is like not to be able to connect with other children. Mostly because i was not accepted in school, but seriously, it should be left up to the child, i have seen too many stupid parents that would rather do that than communicate in their childs natural language.

I almost thought that this was a "The Onion" article for a moment.

News will jump on any story they can make sound sad and sympathetic regardless of its actual nature.

"This poor child is DEAF and the big bad insurance company WON'T give her the ability to HEAR in another ear and she will become SOCIALLY DISFUNCTIONAL. She is being denied something she DESPERATELY NEEDS, what if they denied a pacemaker for your grandfather and he DIED???? Please help k thanks."= Media goldmine

"I dislike the stereotype that hearing people have against the Deaf. We are fully functional people barring the inability to hear, but we are being discriminated against by hearing people unwilling to make small concessions to live and work with us"= groaner, hearing people e-mail it to each other and laugh at the loony Deafs.

Given the noisy conditions in an elementary school lunchroom, what makes you think that unilateral or bilateral will help her understand speech in those condidtions?

I believe that the research shows that bilaterals help with hearing in noise.

why do these parents need to get a life? don't they have the right to give their child a second implant if that's what they want? besides, the article does not indicate whether or not hannah knows sign, so we cannot accurately draw that conclusion.

I'm sorry, i dont know if they sign, parents pushing oralism first annoys me. sorry.

because parents forcing oralism annoys me.

just because a parent chooses to give their child a ci (or two) does not mean they are forcing oralism. again, we do not know from this article if hannah is able to communicate in asl.

I believe that the research shows that bilaterals help with hearing in noise.

Sources, please. That, as I said before, is not a guarantee. They can, but often they don't. Just as there is no guarantee that a child will understand speech with a CI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back