Change the future for a deaf child

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you think that the quote "the child needs TWO bilateral implants to be a fully functional adult" is mis-leading for those little d deaf people who view it as a medical issue?

There is a HUGE difference between the quote above and "bilateral implants have shown to improve listening skills." (I would add "some children" but I'm being realistic, the article would never say "some children" because that sort of would make people NOT write to the insurance company)

Of course. I would say that statement is false, not just misleading.

Right and I am happy to hear about Miss Kat's progress too.

We, deaf and blind people, have a right to express criticism of this article.

But hearing people don't have the right to express anything?

Actually, I'm not sure that anyone knows what will hurt or help the majority of deaf people. I know that the majority of Deaf people believe that they do not have a handicap and that they need no help, but what about "little d" deaf people. Don't they view it as a medical issue that needs intervention? Isn't that the reason there is a difference between Deaf and deaf?

Why not ask the deaf/Deaf? They seem to know what benefits them. And stereotypes and pity certainly don't.

But hearing people don't have the right to express anything?

Of course they do. They are experts on hearing, so express away. However, if you are choosing to speak for the deaf/Deaf, then you need to take their perspective into account. I don't see anyone here telling me that I don't have the right to express anything simply because I am hearing.

What's going on right now is I think there's ad hominem arguments going around, that is what's stirring the pot big time in this topic.

We need to focus on the center debate itself, which is the article expressing the notion of getting this child another CI, not veer offside to provide examples that may be related but do not change the outcome of this article.

Of course. I would say that statement is false, not just misleading.

This is not "let's burn the hearing parents" thread.....this is about these parents' approach to make their child "fully" functional and if these parents don't want to get burned at the stake, they shouldn't have portrayed their child and indirectly portraying other deaf children as something to be pitied if they don't get implants. Also, they should have educated themselves about sensitivity.

I notice that the hearing and sighted people, with the exception of Jillo, really do not care what it is like to live a life where people look down, discriminate, pity or disrespect u.

Fair Jour...u want your daughter to be hearing and your statements makes it apparent that u aren't on terms with her deafness. Wow...next time, don't come whining about how deaf people percieve u, ok?

Thank you for saying what i have wanted to say all morning.

to be honest, sometimes i get tired of educating people and sometimes it isn't worth the effort to educate only one person -- especially since the majority will still believe what they want to believe.

don't get me wrong. i believe in educating the public (i educate them every day about my deafblindness and bipolar), but sometimes it does get emotionally exhausting.

I understand, educating is important, but it gets so old sometimes.

Thank you for saying what i have wanted to say all morning.

What on earth makes people believe that I want my child to be hearing? I just don't get it. I think it is a default arguement that people use when someone "dares" disagree with them.

Right and I am happy to hear about Miss Kat's progress too.

We, deaf and blind people, have a right to express criticism of this article.

Exactly, this kind of thing hurts the community, i am not trying to bash anyone, but i dont understand why people cant think of the general population.

No, and why should I help them with my tax money. I should use my own money to get CI for myself if I am qualifed but if I am not qualifed why should I help others to become better than I am.

Actually, I'm not sure that anyone knows what will hurt or help the majority of deaf people. I know that the majority of Deaf people believe that they do not have a handicap and that they need no help, but what about "little d" deaf people. Don't they view it as a medical issue that needs intervention? Isn't that the reason there is a difference between Deaf and deaf?

You know... i have yet to see a little d deaf person... other than a person who denies thier deafness... but that dosent count... It may be a medical issue, but it does not have to make life miserable enough to require intervention... It may be medical... but it does not REQUIRE treatment... just as blindness. I am not going around saying "Dr. Dr. please help me... my life is so unfulfilled..." because i am blind... No offense Mam, but no matter if you want to see it or not, this article can be harmful to the deaf community as a whole. By the way, if i want something for my child that i think she "needs" I will work to get it myself... I am not going to ask a bunch of people to ask me for help when i can work myself... and do what is best for my kid.

Exactly, this kind of thing hurts the community, i am not trying to bash anyone, but i dont understand why people cant think of the general population.

It is simply a matter of stepping outside the box and looking at the bigger picture. Quite simple really. But I suppose it does cause discomfort for some.

Why does the success, failure, CI, or anything of someone else hurt you? Why does one child going to a manistream school hurt all Deaf people? Why does childhood implantation affect Deaf culture? In my perspective, it doesn't. People are doing what they need to, for their children. For example, I have a good friend whose child grew up with ASL and is now refusing to sign because he is hearing so well with his CI. Should she force him to go to a signing school because "It is what's best for Deaf children" or should she let him go to the school that he prefers? Our responsibilty is to our children first, society second.

Again this "parents allways do what is best for your child" nonsense.

It's lots of bad parents that wants to do good, but not are able to. Have you met alcholics going all bilateral and putting their mentally retarded child in a mainstream program, then sending the child to a state deaf school all fucked up?

I don't agree that deaf people is hurt by mainstream programs. The problem is that, according to findings, deaf children in mainstream programs will most likely suffer emotionally, and the deaf society will have to include another freak when the child grow up. Isn't it plausible that parents are hurt by the fact that many of those children, when older, are looked at as village idiots by many grown up deaf people?

Again this "parents allways do what is best for your child" nonsense.

It's lots of bad parents that wants to do good, but not are able to. Have you met alcholics going all bilateral and putting their mentally retarded child in a mainstream program, then sending the child to a state deaf school all fucked up?

I don't agree that deaf people is hurt by mainstream programs. The problem is that, according to findings, deaf children in mainstream programs will most likely suffer emotionally, and the deaf society will have to include another freak when the child grow up. Isn't it plausible that parents are hurt by the fact that many of those children, when older, are looked at as village idiots by many grown up deaf people?

What?? Who is mentally retarded? Who is an alcoholic? Who is a freak? And what are you talking about?

no offense, but how someone who claims to be a mensa member deliberately chooses to accept negative stereotypes about their deaf child in order to receive a second ci (or anything else) is beyond me. i don't see that as a sign of intelligence. i see it as a sign of ignorance.

What's a mensa member? Thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back