Chalenge or to hard

lucky loser

Reaction score
So i got and offer from my school's teacher of the Deaf asking if i needed some help with classes like help after school or going to her class for some classes. I said i was fine but i'm thinking about language class, i barley write ad speak at a year nine grade and have several spelling mistakes in this sentence so i'm thinking should i take this offer for language. also when i was in year seven i was told my grade would improve because my hearing would be better when i got my ci, it heaped a little but it didn't raise my grade then year eight i had the ci but the background noise sucked and i was waiting on the fm this year i have the fm and i want to see how it helps
Also i'm working my butt of in all my classes trying to make d's and c's.

Lucky Loser, are you in high school (secondary school) ? Maybe it might be a good idea to talk to your TOD about placement at a Deaf School or a school with a partial hearing unit.
Believe it or not struggling academicly and socially in mainstream high school is BEYOND common.

Do you like to read for enjoyment?

Yes one thing im good at is reading but it never helps my writing or spelling
also i cant sign well enough to go to a deaf school but my TOD is offering some deaf classes like in forger language and English but i want to see if this year works better with the fm

also i cant sign well enough to go to a deaf school but my TOD is offering some deaf classes like in forger language and English but i want to see if this year works better with the fm
What about a partial hearing unit? Also, some Deaf Schools in your country might offer programs for kids who are relatively new signers. I'd ask your TOD if there's anything like that.

My TOD as some classes i my school that i want to take but i want to know should i stick the year out and see if i can do my first year of high with the fm, ci and ha

My TOD as some classes i my school that i want to take but i want to know should i stick the year out and see if i can do my first year of high with the fm, ci and ha
Ugh....15 years ago I could have been you. I would totally take those TOD classes....are they with other dhh kids? I would ask your TOD what they think a good option for placement would be. Do any Deaf Schools have any summer camps or programs you could go to?

im not sure, but i think NZ is revamping their deaf education around - investing in sign language these days. if thats the case - you're lucky.

maybe you can benefit from that?

PFH, that's a good idea! Maybe ask your TOD to provide Sign classes?
And PFH, NZ may be investing in NZSL but the question is if it'll benifit kids who are in high school today.
it never helps my writing or spelling
also i cant sign well enough to go to a deaf school but my TOD is offering some deaf classes like in forger language and English
It's very common for dhh kids to have significent expressive written language delays.
Are there "levels" in the high school classes? Like levels for the strong academic kids, and then levels for the kids who are a bit more complicated?

I'm a little confused.....up there you say that you're pulling cs nd ds but in other classes you're pulling as.......Do you mean you're decent at math, science and subjects like that, but in English (ie written English) you're not too good? If so I'd see about taking the Dhh classes as a supplement.

My opinion - people, espeically us Hoh/Deaf people can never be "too good" at Reading and Writing - there's always room to improve, get better, become more comfortable and skilled with reading and writing skills!
I'd recommend to everyone that they always take any extra classes/help to help improve reading and writing skills !!

Another thing that really helps - which I know a lot of people don't use, but should is making use of the spell checker in their web browser (IE, Firefox, Safari on computers - also RIM/Blackberry and most phones now have a spell check !)

I use and prefer Firefox (because it's the move versatile and less prone to viruses) and all you have to do to add dictionaries with spell check (you can add more than one) to your Firefox browser is go: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools/ and then select the dictionary/language pack you want and install it according to the instructions. I'm sure the IE (Internet Explorer) and the other browsers have the same.

The advantage to having a dictionary that spell checks for you is that you'll KNOW when you're making spelling mistakes (it underlines the mis-spelled words in red) and then can select the correct spelling (right click and it displays words that it's likely you meant to spell). If there's an abbreviation etc (Hoh, HA, CI etc), you can add it to the dictionary - just be careful not to add mis-spelled words or it defeats the point of having the dictionary!

Using dictionaries/spell checkers whenever you write an email, write/post something online (ie using the Firefox dictionary/spell check) etc - there is even spell checks available for many IM programs!! - they can really help you learn what words you frequently mis-spell and help you learn to correct them. Also, consider making a list of "trouble words" and give it to your TOD or English teacher, they should be able to suggest some memory hints for spelling the words correctly .... one example is:
I used to mis-spell "benefit" all the time (I'd spell it "benafit" or "benifit"), until one of my jr.high teachers told me that it's 'bene' because 'bene' means "good" in Latin, and a "benefit" is something "good"! Since then I always spell it correctly! :)

Take your TOD up on any offers to help you out with any classes in which you're struggling. Also, consider asking for a "peer tutor" (someone in your class, or the grade higher than yours) that can help you with some of the subjects you might be struggling with :)

The skills you learn now, espeically literacy skills (reading, writing) will benefit you the rest of your life - and the more "work" you put into improving your reading and writing now, the better you'll be and the more "doors" will be open for you (university/college, jobs, even meeting friends!)

Yes one thing im good at is reading but it never helps my writing or spelling

you sound just like me
im not sure, but i think NZ is revamping their deaf education around - investing in sign language these days.

nzsl in class for everyone teaching stops at middle school here and is rarely offered as a choice at high school
PFH, that's a good idea! Maybe ask your TOD to provide Sign classes?

that would depend on the parents okay it

Back