Certification

I guess you mean the written knowledge test? I can't find the pass rates on the website anymore...they used to be there. I know that the pass rate for CI and CT was about 50-60%. That includes the written and the performance. I have heard that the pass rates are higher for the NIC written than the old GWT written.

There's very specific knowledge required, so it's highly recommended to take an ITP or some form of class before taking the test. I wouldn't recommend that someone who is fluent in ASL just sit for the test and hope to pass....I think that's how a lot of people fail. It's better to take the class first because then you're more likely to pass. :)

Do interpreters have to retest at intervals, as in upgrading or proving that they are still capable and can still provide good service with the new vocabulary etc. That probably didn't sound right,, but I hope you know what I am asking. I am taking the interpreter course, but I am doing because I want to work with the advocacy services, not necessarily as an interpreter. I still want my skills to be good enough that I actually understand and can translate a conversation. I have heard that interpreters only catch about 80 percent of sign for translation. I hope that isn't true. I really don't know. I just try my hardest to concentrate on getting it.

Very helpful info HoHGuyOhio.

Can any of you recommend just one of the books on this list for me. Thanks!

Very helpful info HoHGuyOhio.

Can any of you recommend just one of the books on this list for me. Thanks!

At this point in the process AB I honestly wouldn't be focusing on interpreter resources - they will assume that you have reasonable ( or extensive) knowledge of ASL and of Deaf Culture - right now that is where your focus should lay ... in gaining real life fluency and cultural awareness. Don't be discouraged by that comment - I just mean that it's like buying a newborn adult size sneakers hoping it'll make them walk sooner ...when in reality it'll only serve to trip them up.

At this point in the process AB I honestly wouldn't be focusing on interpreter resources - they will assume that you have reasonable ( or extensive) knowledge of ASL and of Deaf Culture - right now that is where your focus should lay ... in gaining real life fluency and cultural awareness. Don't be discouraged by that comment - I just mean that it's like buying a newborn adult size sneakers hoping it'll make them walk sooner ...when in reality it'll only serve to trip them up.

That was a geat analogy! I'll have to remember that one.

80% ????? If you aren't getting 100% of the message then you are not doing your job. ALL the information needs to be delivered.

Do interpreters have to retest at intervals, as in upgrading or proving that they are still capable and can still provide good service with the new vocabulary etc. That probably didn't sound right,, but I hope you know what I am asking. I am taking the interpreter course, but I am doing because I want to work with the advocacy services, not necessarily as an interpreter. I still want my skills to be good enough that I actually understand and can translate a conversation. I have heard that interpreters only catch about 80 percent of sign for translation. I hope that isn't true. I really don't know. I just try my hardest to concentrate on getting it.
You don't have to retest, but you do have to maintain your certification. You earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) through workshops, classes, and other educational events. You have to earn a certain number within a specific time frame or you lose your certification. But there's no retest necessary.

80% ????? If you aren't getting 100% of the message then you are not doing your job. ALL the information needs to be delivered.
Sounds like the machine model to me. Every interpreter makes mistakes. I don't think 80% is a realistic number, probably 90-95%, but we all make mistakes. Expecting 100% all of the time is just silly. Nobody in any profession is 100% accurate in their work 100% of the time.

You don't have to retest, but you do have to maintain your certification. You earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) through workshops, classes, and other educational events. You have to earn a certain number within a specific time frame or you lose your certification. But there's no retest necessary.

Sounds like the machine model to me. Every interpreter makes mistakes. I don't think 80% is a realistic number, probably 90-95%, but we all make mistakes. Expecting 100% all of the time is just silly. Nobody in any profession is 100% accurate in their work 100% of the time.

Even a hearing observer listening to the same message will not always get 100%. They filter and interpret what they hear as well. A terp can strive to deliver 100%, and should strive todeliver 100%. That doesn't necessarily mean that the receiver will get 100%. Too many variables involved.

I would like to know cuz somone told me that terps only catch 60% of what is said. I was like :eek: cuz I refuse to believe that!

I have heard of that as well...it is very rare that an interpreter catches 100% of everything. Same as hearing people, I guess...they don't really hear and process 100% of everything...just learned how to pick up the important parts such as at a lecture.

The level of the interpreter's skill is supposed to indicate how much s/he can pick up- the lower the level, the more things that the interpreter will miss.

Scary when we consider that many states do not consider the top-notch interpreter necessary for public schools because the lower level that the school uses for the minimal level is "good enough." I'm sorry, but my child is not going to get 60% or even 80% of her education. If my child needs an intepreter for her classes, she WILL get the RID national certified interpreter in that classroom because she deserves 100% of her education, not just "good enough." Some schools will fight me on this because they say that is a "Cadallic" request when a "Ford" request will do. I'm going to respond by saying, "Honey. I don't want a Cadallic interpreter. I want the Ferrari interpreter!" :)

(Sorry, Aquablue, for my off topic posting. I just couldn't resist).

There's a sample practice written test.

There are practice DVD's for the performance test.

HI Rheba, I was wondering where one gets ahold of those practiced DVD's, and if the practice written test is available also?

I am curious about the written test content too. Does is focus on the liguisticts of ASL? I mean what information are they looking for... linguistic, or cultural or what?

Is it a receptive test separate and then a test where you sign, or is it combined like in a conversation? Any pre-knowledge at all would be cool to have. Of course I am doing the actual interpreting program at WOU so it is really a comprehensive program. I am sure they cover all of the basis. I am only in 213 right now, and I have pulled straight A's all of the way through. Still, I really worry that my fluency is going to be lacking. I get really frustrated when I am not understanding new term from context because my teacher is a very, very fast signer. Our books really don't cover an extreme amount of vocabulary. I use ASL pro alot and practice watching finger-spelling and other signs. I also utilize ASL university and lifeprint. I know all of the vocab that has been presented in the books, and I understand most or our DVD videos. But i have to cheat with the video sometimes and slow it down the first time through. I am just wondering if I will get past this plateu soon. I don't really know what to judge my progress or ability on. I want to work in advocacy services in the future as well as have skills good enough to interpret, because I can't imagine serving the Deaf community if I am not fluent in understanding them. I can sign better than I can recieve. Is that normal?

Last edited:
Good grief, if I were only getting 60% or 80% of the message I'd take myself back to the computer industry. I know there are terps out there who do work at that level, but I find it astonishing. I usually get 90-95% of the message in a one-on-one situation. It's a little harder in VRS because people often have a bad connection, sit far away, are lit poorly, and don't know how to use the focus knob. I would say it's about 75-80% on VRS for me, but not due to MY skills. When somebody is on a VP-200 with a good connection and good lighting, etc. it's just like being in the room with them.

Back