Certification for Deaf/HOH service dog?

I omitted the word, "yet" because it is not part of the ADA and is in your words. In quoting law, one needs to refer exactly what the law says and not take away from it.

People can buy vests online and have their dog wear it, but if the dog misbehaves (sniffing others or store items, begs for food, barks, etc) the owner of the establishment has the right to refuse entry. Plus, those people who "cheat" and try to bring a non-trained "pet" claiming its a service dog jeopardize the rights and priveleges of those of us with trained, well-behaved helpers.

Misbehavior of a service animal would be much more severe than just sniffing. Not only is Snickers my hearing dog, but I trust her 100 percent if she smells something wrong. So, in your words, if a dog is trained to smell smoke, the animal would be banned.

Second, which is proper: its (example: its mother) or it's (it is)? You had the second one and I corrected it. Be sure how to write the proper possessive. As for the cheating people, a true service dog team most definately can turn them in to the police, thus getting the business off the hook for "being the bad guy" for doing it. I would do it in a heartbeat if I spotted a fake "service dog team."
[/QUOTE]

Can only a true service dog team turn in those people who are "imposters". I would think anyone who knows what they're talking about can do that. If this is the case. But then, what about therapy dogs, who train and train, and provide a service to MANY people, yet still have no public access rights. I think that's sad.
I also think it's sad that Americans in general have dog aversion because of their puritanical leanings. All this health inspector shit makes no sense. Rats and roaches are known to frequent even the cleanest restaurant's kitchens, yet a clean healthy dog, who remains on the floor, cannot even be in the outdoor seating areas at some restaurants.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place but the thread description said public accomodations so here it is..

Was wondering where and how and if it would be possible to get my dog to be certified as a service dog for deaf/hoh? Shes a 3 year old collie and already alerts me to certain things if something isnt right. Hence loud noises or knocking she'll either wake me up or come and lay under my feet where ever im at. Would it be possible to get her certified as a service dog? What type of training or school would she have to go to if any at all? Just what and how do i need to do?

I have heard of some people training their own dog to be a hearing dog. I got my from NEADS . Maybe if call some place that train dogs to be hearing dog they would help . Have you tried calling the Lion Club or whatever club you have and see if they could help you the cost of training your dog? I think it would really cool to train your pet to be a hearing dog! I would had love to had done that! You both already have a bound with one another,and having your pet as a hearing dog will really bring you both closer to one another!
I think it is a beautiful idea!

WOW!....Good news there....3 questions:....where could I purchase the service animal vest?.....and 2nd....you said "it is imperative to train ur dog first"....so where is the best place for training>? and 3rd ....does this apply for ALL states in the USA?

It's true you can get any dog trainer to help you train your dog. But you should read this book I'm reading, so you know what kinds of things you can train for, and how. Most dog trainers won't know specific hearing alerting training. The name of the book is Lend Me an Ear, and it's out of print, but I went to a library and found the book. Almost done with it, and it's worth reading for sure. The only problem is that you need a "helper" or a trainer i guess to help you train the dog.

Back