Censorship at alldeaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another forum I go to- they have what you call a front porch. Freindly politics and other discussion not related to forum is allowed there. It's locked out to new members and you have to have so many posts first before you can go in. this will allow long time members figure who you are and if you actually post helpful stuff. I gotta say - its the best forum in world I go to. The format, animated similes is appropriate, the reading is from top down (not like this AD), and it AUTOMATICALLY jumps to last read post on thread you read, it has a link to all of your subscribed threads, The topics and categories is still expanding yearly. They even let paid subscribers to post their comments they are selling in the threads if needed.
This forum AD has only 4 things I like that is not on other forum. It has a like link on right to click on post liked, it talks about deaf topics I like, talks about deaf living and they have NSFW section.

Now - that being said - to the OP, do you want to be a paid member here and maybe suggest a politic category to your liking and help moderate that thread and accept all responsibilities for things that happens from that section?

This has been discussed many times in few threads... the main culprit is members fighting/arguing that gets out of hand so often.

This has nothing to do with censorship, some people doesn't know how to have civil debates unfortunately.

You're free to discuss religious or political subjects via PM or Visitor Message in member's profile, but not in public forum.

:lol:

Talk about an oxymoron to the bolded.

FYI, it will continue to be discussed and asked by people for as long as it is not allowed. I think that radioman's on the right track. That's how our NSZ (no spin zone) is on the board that I frequent. It also happens to be the best part of our site. It's unfortunate that a few bad eggs have ruined it for everybody. I see folks with over 60k posts that have been banned. I've seen threads get locked without merit. Seems to me that the moderators don't really want to moderate... which isn't a bad thing as we all have lives... but maybe it's time to find someone who would be a good candidate for that particular job? I've seen plenty of folks here who would make good candidates. For the amount of traffic that this site gets... there aren't enough moderators. Four is not enough.

radioman, I think those are nice suggestions and would be best left to Alex if he wants to re-shape the forum. His other forums are the same format, have around 10-30 times the active members here but they don't receive anywhere the amount of fighting AD did.

... I see folks with over 60k posts that have been banned. I've seen threads get locked without merit. Seems to me that the moderators don't really want to moderate... which isn't a bad thing as we all have lives... but maybe it's time to find someone who would be a good candidate for that particular job? I've seen plenty of folks here who would make good candidates. For the amount of traffic that this site gets... there aren't enough moderators. Four is not enough.

There are five on the staff. Alex moderates. We have about ~60-80 active daily posters every day, with around 20-30 that are posting anytime. The rest are not amount of traffic we receive, when they are not participating.
Alex could add more moderators, but I don't really think that is going to solve anything. The problems will still be there of snitching/battles, favoritism among members and reporting to the staff. Every long time ADers know this.

About certain members who have been banned, there is a decision process. If you did look around the history, you would probably figure out why they had to go.

Only way to get up a political or religious forum would be with radomly assigned screen names that change often. Otherwise all the baser instincts carry over to the whole site. But would be fun to sling some sheet with no name

What you're suggesting here is zero accountability. Troll heaven.

On another forum I go to- they have what you call a front porch. Freindly politics and other discussion not related to forum is allowed there. It's locked out to new members and you have to have so many posts first before you can go in. this will allow long time members figure who you are and if you actually post helpful stuff. I gotta say - its the best forum in world I go to. The format, animated similes is appropriate, the reading is from top down (not like this AD), and it AUTOMATICALLY jumps to last read post on thread you read, it has a link to all of your subscribed threads, The topics and categories is still expanding yearly. They even let paid subscribers to post their comments they are selling in the threads if needed.

This forum AD has only 4 things I like that is not on other forum. It has a like link on right to click on post liked, it talks about deaf topics I like, talks about deaf living and they have NSFW section.

Now - that being said - to the OP, do you want to be a paid member here and maybe suggest a politic category to your liking and help moderate that thread and accept all responsibilities for things that happens from that section?

I would definitely consider it, seeing how available I am at this point. Depends on the terms, of course. Before I'd get in to suggestions for political categories though, I think a more pressing matter is the forum policy, or lack there of. I can't seem to find any :dunno:

That aside, what dream forum are you referring to?

This has been discussed many times in few threads... the main culprit is members fighting/arguing that gets out of hand so often.

This has nothing to do with censorship, some people doesn't know how to have civil debates unfortunately.

You're free to discuss religious or political subjects via PM or Visitor Message in member's profile, but not in public forum.

Nitrohonda has already addressed this comment, so I won't. Instead I'll just ask you, what are the forum rules anyway? Is there no policy to serve as a guideline for you and other staff to moderate fairly and consistently? I hope that doesn't come across as a personal attack, but if there is no policy such as that, it might explain some of the issues AD has been having.

Last edited:
radioman, I think those are nice suggestions and would be best left to Alex if he wants to re-shape the forum. His other forums are the same format, have around 10-30 times the active members here but they don't receive anywhere the amount of fighting AD did.

There are five on the staff. Alex moderates. We have about ~60-80 active daily posters every day, with around 20-30 that are posting anytime. The rest are not amount of traffic we receive, when they are not participating.
Alex could add more moderators, but I don't really think that is going to solve anything. The problems will still be there of snitching/battles in reporting to the staff. Every long time ADers know this.

About certain members who have been banned, there is a decision process. If you did look around the history, you would probably figure out why they had to go.

See... that's the problem. You consider folks reporting unsavory threads to be snitches or bitches. That's the problem right there. Folks reporting a thread should be commended for helping out the moderators and making it easier on you. You view it as a "chore". I would encourage more moderators with limited powers to help with weeding out the reports. I'm sure there are plenty of regular people here who have proven themselves over the last ten years who would be perfectly capable of that.

I've seen some epic threads and battles and again... I will stand tall on the history. A clear violation of the rules... bye. No problem. After 60k posts? That just reeks more of somebody tired of listening to a certain person for banging the drum over and over. That's why JadeSkye's thread got locked. I was stunned and honestly... appalled. It was a good thread. Just that somebody was tired of a poster's banging so no chances were given.

Hey... being a moderator's hard work. I know that but not everybody can do it and too much on one's shoulders makes for bad news. I honestly think you have a fine crew here overall. You guys just need help and divert other topics to certain folks.

I'm not judging. I like alldeaf and it's a great site. I just wish that I could talk about the CRPD or other upcoming bills in the Senate that directly impact the Deaf community. It's going definitely get a little heated and that should be okay too.

The problem is we have people who don't know how to debate topics without getting personal. If you stick within the forum rules and argue about the issues, there shouldn't be a problem.

Beyond that, I don't see why banning people isn't solving the issue. If you go against the form rules and disrespect people(I'm talking beyond sarcasm), you should be banned.

I, for one, am glad they closed it. Those people in there did nothing but argue. :ugh2:

If you can't take the heat then stay out of the kitchen. and it called having a debate , no one was twisting your arms to made you read the comments.

It was Alex's decision on his own forum... he can do what he feels he should do and it's never easy moderating here when people keep fighting here.

Some of you have been here a while... a lot of old members were here and it was out of control several years back. I don't have to give out details but I'll point out this thread so you can see for yourself.

Some of you have good points but there isn't much moderators can do about those 2 things. It is entirely Alex's decision on his own.

Thanks.

Wow...I remember this thread @ Cheri and Liebling. Brought up a lot of memories. Hehehe

If you can't take the heat then stay out of the kitchen. and it called having a debate , no one was twisting your arms to made you read the comments.

My post was sarcasm. I posted in the political section often.

My post was sarcasm. I posted in the political section often.

3 people did not see it as being sarcasm. It been been awhile since we had a political section so I do not remember who posted comment in it.

It was Alex's decision on his own forum... he can do what he feels he should do and it's never easy moderating here when people keep fighting here.

Some of you have been here a while... a lot of old members were here and it was out of control several years back. I don't have to give out details but I'll point out this thread so you can see for yourself.

Some of you have good points but there isn't much moderators can do about those 2 things. It is entirely Alex's decision on his own.

Thanks.

Don't need to see any details. Ban hammer. It's pretty obvious you guys don't appropriately use it as called for as those disrespectful morons you're speaking of have control of you as some of them are still around. Bring the hammer down.

Of course, Alex can do whatever he wants. That isn't being debated in this thread. I think that folks have been very respectable here for a while and would like to expand our "knowledge" by talking to others like us. I guess... I'm saying that I'd like to give it a vote for a return. It's been over 5 years. Maybe it's time... No harm, no foul in asking. Right?

Thanks.

WOW! I can't believe people! Just because something made them uptight no one else can do it!

Don't need to see any details. Ban hammer. It's pretty obvious you guys don't appropriately use it as called for as those disrespectful morons you're speaking of have control of you as some of them are still around. Bring the hammer down.

Of course, Alex can do whatever he wants. That isn't being debated in this thread. I think that folks have been very respectable here for a while and would like to expand our "knowledge" by talking to others like us. I guess... I'm saying that I'd like to give it a vote for a return. It's been over 5 years. Maybe it's time... No harm, no foul in asking. Right?

The political section was closed during the 2012 election. The mods still allow some politics be discussed though...as long as it is civil.

Religion will never be a civil topic. No need to even try it.

There are other forums for people who want to discuss religion and politics, plus PMs and VMs. There is absolutely no reason to change this site. Remember, this site is a business. Do you want strangers voting on how you run your business? I certainly wouldn't. Plus, in a way, we already vote..... We vote by logging in.

okay, why don't we just move on now? Like I said this has been discussed many times before and we don't need any repeat of this again. The person you should contact is Alex, enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back